Skip to main content

Is Optimism in the future justified?

This is going to be a more personal blog than normal.  

If you have been following this blog for a while...then you know that Sue and I have had a series of deaths in the family.   We have not gone into that much detail concerning these deaths other than the passing of her father, and then mine.  We have experienced the loss of loved ones some six times since October.

Susan has half jokingly suggested that we simply hang a black flag outside of our home.

These deaths have only reminded me that, since nether my brother or I have any children of our own (my brother adopted and I have a step daughter) that the genetic line that makes up this particular branch of the Wilson family, will go extinct.  

On top of that we have had a "run of bad luck" regarding our automobiles as well, nothing that was to serious and nothing that was not caused by time and mileage.   Luckily, we had the money to  repair and replace the parts. Still, it was an unexpected blow.

On top of all this, I am trying to leave a legacy of a sustainable edible lawn and fruit trees with absolutely no idea on how to do that or where to start.  I'm not a farmer, I'm not good with my hands and, if I am being completely honest, have very little desire to learn how to fix things or farm. I am just blundering along doing what makes me happy most of the time.I think I am more in love withe the "idea" than what is required to actually make this happen.

To put it mildly, there is a feeling of being "lost" in our household.

Yet, I feel strangely optimistic about the future which is strange because, frankly our world is a mess.  Being a realist, it's not going to get any better and frankly what we need to do, we as a society are simply not going to do it.    For example the recent debate over "banning" the gas stove.turned into a silly political fight over nothing.  Despite there being more and more evidence that switching to an electric stove is not only better for the environment, but for our indivdual health as well; it turned into a kerfuffle.

The sad thing was that as part of our kitchen remodel, we installed a gas range.   Yes, I am aware of the hypocrisy.   

At least, I think, I'm doing something in a small way to help reduce my carbon footprint and save the human race/planet...it's not going to matter that much in the grand scheme of things.  It's very easy to fall into a feeling of hopelessness.

 

So when I came across a word that I was unfamiliar with a few days ago, that word being Meliorism (meal-eo-ism), I was curious about it.  According to the Merriam-Webster dictionary it sort of fits me perfectly.  Meliorism is simply the belief that the world tends to improve and that humans can aid its betterment.

A belief that I had reinforced recently due to my work with the Odd Fellow's as well.   As we Odd Fellows tend to work with charities and other organizations that are trying to better the lives of individuals.   I may not always agree with our local lodge choices of who or what to help...but then I remember that really doesn't matter.  We are helping someone, somewhere and that is all that really matters.

It really is the "They" and not the "Me." 

Although I would love to see newer and younger people join the organization and I do wish we were somehow more involved in the community; and recognized by that community.

As I sat and listened to the "Mysteries" as expressed by an advancement ceremony hosted by the Odd Fellows, I was reminded that community is how great things are accomplished. 

That's going to be the goal of 2023, to try and find a community of like minded thinkers and to get involved with them in some capacity.  Sue and I already reached out to a few old groups that we used to belong to 15 or 20 years ago to make friends with people.    We are looking forward to it.

 

Comments

What all the cool kids are reading.

In praise of the simple pumpkin. It has a lot of potential other than pies.

As I write this the temperature is climbing.  We have a window or two open, knowing that soon enough we will be shutting up the house for the next three months or so we can protect ourselves and our cats against the onslaught of winter.   Our wood stove burned overnight to take the chill out of the air and I found myself buying new boots and gloves and driving home with the windows down. This is the nature of autumn in Western Pennsylvania and as I sip on my pumpkin flavored coffee, I cannot help but praise the fruit of the season, and yes it is a fruit, the simple pumpkin. A few things are still growing in our garden, the last of the herbs and tomatoes...a stray pepper or two that needs to be picked.  Yet I find myself interested in growing pumpkins next year after realizing their potential and that they are high in nutritional value.   It's easy to forget in our modern world just how easy we have it as compared to our great grandparents and their grandparents....

Dopamine fix and my take on AI.

When I sat down at the computer recently to type all of this out,  I let out frustrated sigh.    I had plans to release a completely different blog post long before this date but over the last two weeks or so I've done everything I could do but actually work on the yard, or write, or just do anything that was constructive. When you are moving towards a dream or an idea or...well anything really, you can't break the chain.  Even if it's just 10 minutes a day working, that is constructive.    I have an addiction.  It's not to drugs or alcohol and in a way that would be a bit more excusable.   I have an addiction to dopamine .    Dopamine simply is a chemical in your brain that makes you feel good, and it in turn unleashes other "pleasure" chemicals in your brain.  In my case it a program called Second Life,  (SL) which honestly, I used to be on all the time in the early 2000's.  It's hard to explain but the term multius...

Rain and tears and those damned deer. Gardening can be painful.

“ None of us understand what we're doing, but we do beautiful things anyway.” ― Allen Ginsberg   The weatherman stated that we have not had any significant rainfall in over two weeks.  Nor did he see any relief in site. We are not in drought conditions yet, we are just unusually dry.  Interestingly enough, Pennsylvania should be getting warmer and wetter in the future if the climate models hold true.  If we narrow that down even more to my home town , the picture becomes even more interesting.   Solar Punk Pittsburgh For now though, I was worried about my garden.   It is not that big, I basically have a variety of containers around where I am maintaining lettuce, leeks, tomato's, peppers, strawberries, grapes, sunchokes (which I was really interested in growing) and a few other things.     Every garden needs to be watered and I played around with the idea of a r ain water collection systems before, we even had a simple one i...