Skip to main content

The War over the Gas Stove - Why we should really give this some thought.

Recently I've seen memes and posts over "banning" the gas range.   What I'll be referring to as the Gas Stove War.  It's silly really...but I understand it.


For some, it must seem like government over reach.  We personally are moving from an electric stove to a propane stove because my wife wanted one (she's a former professional chef) as we finish the last bit of the kitchen remodel; and because this would mean drilling a hole though the house for the gas range the installation will occur in spring.

Yes, I'm very aware of my hypocrisy over installing a gas stove for ourselves while understanding the move to ban or limit the use of electric stoves in other parts of the country.  Frankly if it was up to me, I would stay electric.   It's not up to me.  I also was not aware of the environmental concern regarding the gas range till recently.

Long story short, this whole kerfuffle began about two years ago New York City moved to eliminate the use of gas stoves in new construction starting in 2023.  Some cities have had similar rules on the book since 2019.  So it's not that this is something new.


It's just becoming political now and thus, the first shots of the gas range war were fired via memes and panicked, and perpetually outraged, newscasters on a TV network that shall not be named. 

 Basically the argument for "banning the gas stove" goes like this.  Environments, and I consider myself one, have looked at the data and discovered some things.  First off is that this is a very easy way to cut greenhouse admissions.  Roughly 13% of our annual greenhouse admissions come from commercial and residential sources - for example your gas stove. 

When you look at other sources; such as transportation which takes up to 27% of admissions, then "attacking" something as simple as the gas stove makes sense.  It's a low hanging fruit.  Where as cutting back on America's dependence on the car is a much more Herculean task.

 It also makes sense in other way.   Natural gas releases Methane - a green house gas, into the air.  It also releases Nitric Oxide, another greenhouse gas, and fine particulate manner into the air as well.  

Modern wood burning stoves, like the one that we use to heat our home, are designed in such a way that those gases are recycled and re-burned as part of the process, sadly this is not the case with modern gas kitchen ranges.   This circulation of gases actually increases the heat produced by the modern wood stove while cutting back on the amount of fuel needed.  In turn, this cuts emissions.



Studies have shown that children in a home with a gas burning range are some 12 - 13% more likely to become asthmatic.  

There is some evidence to support that electric stoves are also more efficient than gas stoves for most day to day cooks. 

So when you take all this into consideration; the public health concerns as well as the environmental concerns, I understand the argument about "banning" the gas cook top.   However no one is going to force you to replace your old stove.   If anything this is going to force the industry to figure out a way to make them more efficient.   Maybe instead of an open flame, we see a move towards a more enclosed flame which can burn hotter and therefore burn off the methane and Nitric Oxide? 

Frankly in my opinion it's a battle that Conservatives are going to lose.  Generally speaking less than 40% of American homes use gas stoves now.  Most of the electric stoves in use are actually in traditionally "Red" states and that isn't going to change.   Like most changes, this will be debated and eventually accepted.   Even by the Red states.   

In fact, by the time that I get this published the "War" will be over, but honestly....we have to start somewhere.  This is as good a place as any to start being serious about how to reduce our National Carbon footprint overall.

Plus there are a few incentives to encourage you to switch from a gas to electric range anyhow. 

Comments

What all the cool kids are reading.

Maybe we need to rethink invasive species???

Hi. As the writer of the post and feel that I need to clarify something. I do not advocate the planting of invasive species. The point that I'm trying to make, and clearly didn't, is that perhaps we should be thinking about an invasive species in a different light. Apples, figs and other crops are clearly non native to America and Europe but are widely cultivated because they have use to humans as a food source, animal feed, etc. Kudzu is an edible plant and although it is clearly harmful can it be used someway by humans? It's a food source, it's been used as a cloth and is showing some use as a building material. All I'm trying to do is to create discussion on how we can use invasive plants in new ways.   It's mid April here in Western Pennsylvania and so far it's been warm and wet.  The buzz of lawnmowers fill the air as I gallivant through my back yard collecting dandelions to make some tea and bread with them.  I had always known that they w

Why didn't Erie, PA develop into a bigger city?

          Recently I had to travel up to Erie, PA for business.   It's about an hour north of me and is a rather small city, having just under 100 thousand people living in it.   It played an important role in the founding of America,  - where it was the headquarters for Oliver Perry's flagship Niagara during the battle of Like Erie in the war of 1812 .            It was also a important shipping center, being Pennsylvania's only access to the Great Lakes which was the easiest way to trade with parts of Canada at the time as well as move goods to the cities of Detroit and Chicago, which in the mid to early 1800's were just starting to develop.  It was also directly north from Pittsburgh which was a major industrial city at that time.     Yet Erie never really grew beyond it's humble beginnings and I wondered why.   Like any good sleuth I turned to the internet where I found mostly wrong answers.    Many people thought the port of Erie was to shallow to handle most

Don't leave the rural areas behind.

This blog was started because I had lived most of my life as an urban dweller; I wanted to record my adventures as I tried my hands at different things and I never pictured this blog would become what it did. Country life suits me in some ways.   I'm at a point in my life where I can appreciate looking up into the night sky and seeing thousands of stars, just like I did as a kid.   I just love how the moonlight bathes my beautiful sleeping wife in a creme colored light.   Country life is more peaceful and a lot more hard work than I would have ever expected.  While my neighbors and I may not agree politically or philosophically, my new lifestyle has given me insights on how they view the world. This brings me to my main point.   Here in rural America we simply don't have public transportation, nor do we have a lot of manufacturing or diversity or hospitals or even great education...and if we are going to move forward with a brighter greener future that we all want then we canno