Skip to main content

The War over the Gas Stove - Why we should really give this some thought.

Recently I've seen memes and posts over "banning" the gas range.   What I'll be referring to as the Gas Stove War.  It's silly really...but I understand it.


For some, it must seem like government over reach.  We personally are moving from an electric stove to a propane stove because my wife wanted one (she's a former professional chef) as we finish the last bit of the kitchen remodel; and because this would mean drilling a hole though the house for the gas range the installation will occur in spring.

Yes, I'm very aware of my hypocrisy over installing a gas stove for ourselves while understanding the move to ban or limit the use of electric stoves in other parts of the country.  Frankly if it was up to me, I would stay electric.   It's not up to me.  I also was not aware of the environmental concern regarding the gas range till recently.

Long story short, this whole kerfuffle began about two years ago New York City moved to eliminate the use of gas stoves in new construction starting in 2023.  Some cities have had similar rules on the book since 2019.  So it's not that this is something new.


It's just becoming political now and thus, the first shots of the gas range war were fired via memes and panicked, and perpetually outraged, newscasters on a TV network that shall not be named. 

 Basically the argument for "banning the gas stove" goes like this.  Environments, and I consider myself one, have looked at the data and discovered some things.  First off is that this is a very easy way to cut greenhouse admissions.  Roughly 13% of our annual greenhouse admissions come from commercial and residential sources - for example your gas stove. 

When you look at other sources; such as transportation which takes up to 27% of admissions, then "attacking" something as simple as the gas stove makes sense.  It's a low hanging fruit.  Where as cutting back on America's dependence on the car is a much more Herculean task.

 It also makes sense in other way.   Natural gas releases Methane - a green house gas, into the air.  It also releases Nitric Oxide, another greenhouse gas, and fine particulate manner into the air as well.  

Modern wood burning stoves, like the one that we use to heat our home, are designed in such a way that those gases are recycled and re-burned as part of the process, sadly this is not the case with modern gas kitchen ranges.   This circulation of gases actually increases the heat produced by the modern wood stove while cutting back on the amount of fuel needed.  In turn, this cuts emissions.



Studies have shown that children in a home with a gas burning range are some 12 - 13% more likely to become asthmatic.  

There is some evidence to support that electric stoves are also more efficient than gas stoves for most day to day cooks. 

So when you take all this into consideration; the public health concerns as well as the environmental concerns, I understand the argument about "banning" the gas cook top.   However no one is going to force you to replace your old stove.   If anything this is going to force the industry to figure out a way to make them more efficient.   Maybe instead of an open flame, we see a move towards a more enclosed flame which can burn hotter and therefore burn off the methane and Nitric Oxide? 

Frankly in my opinion it's a battle that Conservatives are going to lose.  Generally speaking less than 40% of American homes use gas stoves now.  Most of the electric stoves in use are actually in traditionally "Red" states and that isn't going to change.   Like most changes, this will be debated and eventually accepted.   Even by the Red states.   

In fact, by the time that I get this published the "War" will be over, but honestly....we have to start somewhere.  This is as good a place as any to start being serious about how to reduce our National Carbon footprint overall.

Plus there are a few incentives to encourage you to switch from a gas to electric range anyhow. 

Comments

What all the cool kids are reading.

In praise of the simple pumpkin. It has a lot of potential other than pies.

As I write this the temperature is climbing.  We have a window or two open, knowing that soon enough we will be shutting up the house for the next three months or so we can protect ourselves and our cats against the onslaught of winter.   Our wood stove burned overnight to take the chill out of the air and I found myself buying new boots and gloves and driving home with the windows down. This is the nature of autumn in Western Pennsylvania and as I sip on my pumpkin flavored coffee, I cannot help but praise the fruit of the season, and yes it is a fruit, the simple pumpkin. A few things are still growing in our garden, the last of the herbs and tomatoes...a stray pepper or two that needs to be picked.  Yet I find myself interested in growing pumpkins next year after realizing their potential and that they are high in nutritional value.   It's easy to forget in our modern world just how easy we have it as compared to our great grandparents and their grandparents....

Dopamine fix and my take on AI.

When I sat down at the computer recently to type all of this out,  I let out frustrated sigh.    I had plans to release a completely different blog post long before this date but over the last two weeks or so I've done everything I could do but actually work on the yard, or write, or just do anything that was constructive. When you are moving towards a dream or an idea or...well anything really, you can't break the chain.  Even if it's just 10 minutes a day working, that is constructive.    I have an addiction.  It's not to drugs or alcohol and in a way that would be a bit more excusable.   I have an addiction to dopamine .    Dopamine simply is a chemical in your brain that makes you feel good, and it in turn unleashes other "pleasure" chemicals in your brain.  In my case it a program called Second Life,  (SL) which honestly, I used to be on all the time in the early 2000's.  It's hard to explain but the term multius...

A sense of time in place - traveling in Central PA

One of the first items that Sue and I bought as a couple all those years ago was a grandfather clock.  We used to snuggle under the blanket and listen to the chimes on the hour, the sound filling our house with a warmth and resonance.   That clock is nothing special, being simple in its design and technology.  It's accurate because of the beauty of physics and math...and is a lost art form in its own right. I thought a lot about time and place as we traveled this week.  I thought a lot about place.   Sue and I finally took a brief vacation recently.  Due to circumstances beyond our control, every plan we had made to get away earlier in the year came to naught.  My father became ill and ended up in the hospital which we decided to stay home "just in case."  He ended up in the hospital at least three times this past year, and I decided to spend what time I could with him. Family, after all, is what brought us back to Pennsylvania. We had p...