Skip to main content

A bit of foraging....in praise of the lowly dandelion and other ramblings.

 I consider myself a researcher.   Meaning that I find something of interest and I have to learn all I can until that research itch is satisfied.   I've actually made a career out of it in some ways. 

Hopefully not dressed like this
Foraging for food has never really interested me much.  I have a passing interest in it because of my desire to make my yard into a edible lawn.   For example I planted an edible (although non native) dogwood tree.  I'm planting or have planted a variety of native perennial fruits and veggie's.  It is an ongoing process, simply because in the back of my mind some post apocalyptic traveler will come across this and have nourishment for a few days.

I have identified and used purslane, sheep and wood sorrel, curly dock and; what I believe is fiddlehead ferns in my yard before.  However not being 100% sure about the fiddlehead fern, it's not made it into a dish or salad yet.  

Some ferns look familiar to fiddleheads but they are toxic.  As such I am using good judgement and not using it in any dish.  All the other plants mentioned have been used in some way.  I'm planning on getting a firm identification in the future which will determine what I do with this particular fern.

One plant that I've not mentioned is the dandelion.  

I've had dandelion leaves as part of a salad.  I've had homemade dandelion wine.  I've come across recipes for dandelion tea and fritters.

It's just that I've never really explored them as a food source.  They also have a long history in traditional medicine.  In fact, the history of the dandelion and man have been intertwined for sometime.  


So, I decided to head out to my back yard and surrounding area to try and some dandelions and see what I could make.  It's a little late in the year and at the time of writing this, most of the dandelions are gone, I also know that the later in the year, the more bitter the dandelion becomes.    

However I can certainly try a few recipes found on the Practical Self Reliance web site in the spring of next year.  Dandelions also are high in essential vitamins although other health claims are either not proven or their has been very little research done.

If you have been following this blog for some time then you know that my history in the kitchen is mixed to say the least.  I love to eat. I love trying new foods and recipes, it's just that I was never interested in learning to cook (I don't have the patience for it) or people in my life that were supportive of my experiments in the kitchen.

Please don't misunderstand me, the love of my life, Sue is an amazing chef but her experience with "Exotic" spices and flavors has been limited by her experiences and training.  Plus, living in an area where people make a living from traditional farming and food production limits experimentation as well.   We live in a "steak and potato" town.

However I did come across some things that sound interesting to me.  Dandelion tea for example sounds pretty simple.  Take a 1/2 cup of petals, pour boiling water over them.  Steep for 10 minutes or so and enjoy although you can also make tea from the petals and a "coffee" from the roots as well.   

I had even saved a recipe for Dandelion flower fritters earlier in the year to our recipe page because I was interested in trying them.   Seriously, how good does Dandelion bread sound?  I want to try it!

The more I learn about food, the more I realize how much healthier, and cheaper, food made at home actually is...and sadly how we have moved beyond those days.   While I'm not stating that we need to move back to the patriarchal days of yore...I do think we lost much to "progress".

A traditional loaf of bread is easy to make and generally costs about $1 US dollar to make.  Compared that to a store brought brand at close to double that price.  It's still a inexpensive item to buy and running to the grocery store is still a time saver as compared to baking bread at home.   

Somehow however....something  is lost.  

Sue and I have discussed the joy of reaching over and picking a wild berry from a vine.  Or making tea from a variety of wild flowers before.  It's not something that I've discussed much in this blog.   Neither of us are wildly into foraging but we both understand food.

One of my favorite memories is making homemade pasta with friends, drinking their homemade wine and spicing up that pasta dinner with a tomato sauce and veggies fresh from the garden.

The more I research things however the more I think that moving to a native edible yard is something worth doing.  Many native plants also have some medicinal (although not much research exists on this) use or can have practical use as well.  I've not given that much thought but thankfully I've found that the Penn State Extension Office is a wonderful source of information on this subject.  

The only question I have, and this does concern me, is will I have enough time to complete everything that I have in mind?


Comments

What all the cool kids are reading.

Maybe we need to rethink invasive species???

Hi. As the writer of the post and feel that I need to clarify something. I do not advocate the planting of invasive species. The point that I'm trying to make, and clearly didn't, is that perhaps we should be thinking about an invasive species in a different light. Apples, figs and other crops are clearly non native to America and Europe but are widely cultivated because they have use to humans as a food source, animal feed, etc. Kudzu is an edible plant and although it is clearly harmful can it be used someway by humans? It's a food source, it's been used as a cloth and is showing some use as a building material. All I'm trying to do is to create discussion on how we can use invasive plants in new ways.   It's mid April here in Western Pennsylvania and so far it's been warm and wet.  The buzz of lawnmowers fill the air as I gallivant through my back yard collecting dandelions to make some tea and bread with them.  I had always known that they w

Why didn't Erie, PA develop into a bigger city?

          Recently I had to travel up to Erie, PA for business.   It's about an hour north of me and is a rather small city, having just under 100 thousand people living in it.   It played an important role in the founding of America,  - where it was the headquarters for Oliver Perry's flagship Niagara during the battle of Like Erie in the war of 1812 .            It was also a important shipping center, being Pennsylvania's only access to the Great Lakes which was the easiest way to trade with parts of Canada at the time as well as move goods to the cities of Detroit and Chicago, which in the mid to early 1800's were just starting to develop.  It was also directly north from Pittsburgh which was a major industrial city at that time.     Yet Erie never really grew beyond it's humble beginnings and I wondered why.   Like any good sleuth I turned to the internet where I found mostly wrong answers.    Many people thought the port of Erie was to shallow to handle most

Don't leave the rural areas behind.

This blog was started because I had lived most of my life as an urban dweller; I wanted to record my adventures as I tried my hands at different things and I never pictured this blog would become what it did. Country life suits me in some ways.   I'm at a point in my life where I can appreciate looking up into the night sky and seeing thousands of stars, just like I did as a kid.   I just love how the moonlight bathes my beautiful sleeping wife in a creme colored light.   Country life is more peaceful and a lot more hard work than I would have ever expected.  While my neighbors and I may not agree politically or philosophically, my new lifestyle has given me insights on how they view the world. This brings me to my main point.   Here in rural America we simply don't have public transportation, nor do we have a lot of manufacturing or diversity or hospitals or even great education...and if we are going to move forward with a brighter greener future that we all want then we canno