Skip to main content

My Dad passed yesterday.

Pap's info is here. 

It's a funny thing, when you know someone has only a limited amount of time.  You wait for that phone call with a mixture of sadness and relief.   Relief in that person has moved on into a better world, or that their suffering has stopped.   In that, you no longer have to worry about them. 

It's also a phone call you dread, because that person brought you into the world...and now you are alone.

This is an article that I've started and stopped a thousand times.  We always were worried about my dad, much more than my mom.  When she died, it was more of a shock.  Even after 2 + years I'm still not sure if I'm done processing it.  Mostly I just miss talking to her.


My dad and I had a good relationship...but not much to talk about.   He was passionate about sports, where as I was more like my mother and was interested more in politics and world affairs.  Still though, we played catch for hours, he taught me to ride a bike.  

He woke up at 4 AM to take his nonathletic kid to hockey practice and soccer practice.  I don't think I ever heard him complain about how badly his boy sucked at sports.

My Dad taught me how to change a tire and the oil in the car, how to drive.  How to treat a woman. How to be a man.  He took pride in my bother and I, and I'm sure we caused him some pain as well.  You have nothing left but memories and impressions and the moral compass that was passed on by your parents.  


 

I often joke that I would be a lot more successful in life if my parents had not given us boys...morals.

I came across a quote.  “Grief, I’ve learned, is really just love. It’s all the love you want to give, but cannot. All that unspent love gathers up in the corners of your eyes, the lump in your throat, and in that hollow part of your chest. Grief is just love with no place to go.”

Joe Wilson was certainly the "good man" that people talk about.  Although he was reserved and quiet.  He was full of love.  He smile at that little girl or boy across the way and get them to smile back.  He would surprise you with a funny joke or comment that might come out of left field and get you laughing.  He was...is...a good man.


Sue and I were talking about this last night.  The million little sacrifices one makes for their kids...and how we never realize it at the time.  It's only when we are older, or have kids of our own that we understand all that they have given us.

Years ago I came across something.  It's influenced me my whole life although I can not remember what it was or where I read it.  Basically it is a simple belief.  We touch other lives in a magnitude of ways.  We hope it was for the better, we hope we leave a positive influence.   

My Dad certainly left a positive influence on my life, and the lives of the countless people that he called friend, lovers and family throughout his long life.  I could do worse than to try and live like he did.

Good night Dad.   I love you.

 

Please click here to read my mother's memorial.

 

 

Comments

Post a Comment

What all the cool kids are reading.

In praise of the simple pumpkin. It has a lot of potential other than pies.

As I write this the temperature is climbing.  We have a window or two open, knowing that soon enough we will be shutting up the house for the next three months or so we can protect ourselves and our cats against the onslaught of winter.   Our wood stove burned overnight to take the chill out of the air and I found myself buying new boots and gloves and driving home with the windows down. This is the nature of autumn in Western Pennsylvania and as I sip on my pumpkin flavored coffee, I cannot help but praise the fruit of the season, and yes it is a fruit, the simple pumpkin. A few things are still growing in our garden, the last of the herbs and tomatoes...a stray pepper or two that needs to be picked.  Yet I find myself interested in growing pumpkins next year after realizing their potential and that they are high in nutritional value.   It's easy to forget in our modern world just how easy we have it as compared to our great grandparents and their grandparents....

Dopamine fix and my take on AI.

When I sat down at the computer recently to type all of this out,  I let out frustrated sigh.    I had plans to release a completely different blog post long before this date but over the last two weeks or so I've done everything I could do but actually work on the yard, or write, or just do anything that was constructive. When you are moving towards a dream or an idea or...well anything really, you can't break the chain.  Even if it's just 10 minutes a day working, that is constructive.    I have an addiction.  It's not to drugs or alcohol and in a way that would be a bit more excusable.   I have an addiction to dopamine .    Dopamine simply is a chemical in your brain that makes you feel good, and it in turn unleashes other "pleasure" chemicals in your brain.  In my case it a program called Second Life,  (SL) which honestly, I used to be on all the time in the early 2000's.  It's hard to explain but the term multius...

A sense of time in place - traveling in Central PA

One of the first items that Sue and I bought as a couple all those years ago was a grandfather clock.  We used to snuggle under the blanket and listen to the chimes on the hour, the sound filling our house with a warmth and resonance.   That clock is nothing special, being simple in its design and technology.  It's accurate because of the beauty of physics and math...and is a lost art form in its own right. I thought a lot about time and place as we traveled this week.  I thought a lot about place.   Sue and I finally took a brief vacation recently.  Due to circumstances beyond our control, every plan we had made to get away earlier in the year came to naught.  My father became ill and ended up in the hospital which we decided to stay home "just in case."  He ended up in the hospital at least three times this past year, and I decided to spend what time I could with him. Family, after all, is what brought us back to Pennsylvania. We had p...