Skip to main content

This beautiful life - Thanks Mom and goodbye.

   


It's been a few days since I've been able to put electronic pen to electronic paper so to speak.  This was due to the untimely death of my mother, Patrica Ann Wilson or simply Pat as many of her friends and family called her.       

    Like any mother she could be a pain in the ass, loving, supportive and making her son's crazy at the same time.  However she always believed in and supported my brother Gary and I whenever and however she could.  

    The funny thing is that Sue and I moved back to Pennsylvania because we knew that our parents were getting older, and that we wanted to spend more time with them.   Now this happens with us being less than two months in the area.  At least my mother got to see our new home.

    I'm sure that she probably thought we were crazy to move this far out into the country, where are nearest neighbors really are a horse named Billy and a goat named Nanny.

    The funny thing is that I've always found solace in nature.  As far back as I can remember, despite being a "city mouse", whenever I found myself depressed or needing a break from the world, I would wonder off to a city park or nearby woods and just hike around a bit, close my eyes and listen to the birds, and just breath in nature for a moment.

    I'm surrounded by the beauty of the world now, and as Sue drove home, I could look out the windows and watch the leaves change.  I was able to watch as a family of deer as they frolicked in the fields.

    I could let myself mourn a bit, getting past the initial shock and trying to make sure that my father - a self confessed "kept man" for the last twenty years or so, had enough money in the bank for food and other needs.   My mother was a bank manager, real estate agent and financial consultant at one time and I think she influenced both my bother and I to enter the financial industry in our own ways, he's a banker and I am a Insurance Agent and Broker. 

    My mother was very good at her job and set them both up in a very stable way, my father will be able to live out the rest of his life in comfort.  My mother made sure of that.  

    I've done what I can for now to make sure that all is arranged, that all is organized, my mother made sure of that.   She knew her kids would be a freaking mess.  

    Maybe, just maybe I can mourn now, however I'm also afraid that if I start to cry...I'm not going to be able to stop.  

    So I do what ever I can do to distract myself, reading and watching video's about everything that I should be doing at this moment to make our gardens in the spring thrive.

    She always encouraged me with my writing, my blogging.  She didn't like the fact that I rode a motorcycle around Florida as much as I did...but she didn't mind getting on the back of it a few times.  This being blogger, it's probably best to open it up in Chrome.

    Somewhere, somehow in my life I found a love.  Despite her initial misgivings over Sue, she came to love her...mostly because she saw that Sue loved me in much the same way that she loved my Dad.

    It's hard to think of her in the "past tense."   I'm sure that at the viewing she will be surrounded by family, friends and others who lives she touched.  She was a fun loving woman, alive to the very end.   Her death is a shock but she believed in an heaven and an afterlife and I've no doubt that if such a thing exists, she is there.  

    I love you Mom.  Thank you for making me into the man that I am today.  Thank you for your support, your words of wisdom, and yes, even a few slaps to the backside.   I'll miss out talks, although those will still continue - maybe, just maybe I'll win our friendly debates.   

    Thank you for everything.  I love you Mom.


Comments

  1. My sympathy for your loss! I met Pat and Joe in Florida through Bunnie and always found her to be a funny, fun loving, caring person. We enjoyed performing in Sleepy Hollow's Park One's spring play. I'm so happy to have those wonderful memories and the opportunity to meet this terrific lady! Give your Dad a hug and tell him I am saddened to hear this news but grateful for your sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

What all the cool kids are reading.

Maybe we need to rethink invasive species???

Hi. As the writer of the post and feel that I need to clarify something. I do not advocate the planting of invasive species. The point that I'm trying to make, and clearly didn't, is that perhaps we should be thinking about an invasive species in a different light. Apples, figs and other crops are clearly non native to America and Europe but are widely cultivated because they have use to humans as a food source, animal feed, etc. Kudzu is an edible plant and although it is clearly harmful can it be used someway by humans? It's a food source, it's been used as a cloth and is showing some use as a building material. All I'm trying to do is to create discussion on how we can use invasive plants in new ways.   It's mid April here in Western Pennsylvania and so far it's been warm and wet.  The buzz of lawnmowers fill the air as I gallivant through my back yard collecting dandelions to make some tea and bread with them.  I had always known that they w

Why didn't Erie, PA develop into a bigger city?

          Recently I had to travel up to Erie, PA for business.   It's about an hour north of me and is a rather small city, having just under 100 thousand people living in it.   It played an important role in the founding of America,  - where it was the headquarters for Oliver Perry's flagship Niagara during the battle of Like Erie in the war of 1812 .            It was also a important shipping center, being Pennsylvania's only access to the Great Lakes which was the easiest way to trade with parts of Canada at the time as well as move goods to the cities of Detroit and Chicago, which in the mid to early 1800's were just starting to develop.  It was also directly north from Pittsburgh which was a major industrial city at that time.     Yet Erie never really grew beyond it's humble beginnings and I wondered why.   Like any good sleuth I turned to the internet where I found mostly wrong answers.    Many people thought the port of Erie was to shallow to handle most

Don't leave the rural areas behind.

This blog was started because I had lived most of my life as an urban dweller; I wanted to record my adventures as I tried my hands at different things and I never pictured this blog would become what it did. Country life suits me in some ways.   I'm at a point in my life where I can appreciate looking up into the night sky and seeing thousands of stars, just like I did as a kid.   I just love how the moonlight bathes my beautiful sleeping wife in a creme colored light.   Country life is more peaceful and a lot more hard work than I would have ever expected.  While my neighbors and I may not agree politically or philosophically, my new lifestyle has given me insights on how they view the world. This brings me to my main point.   Here in rural America we simply don't have public transportation, nor do we have a lot of manufacturing or diversity or hospitals or even great education...and if we are going to move forward with a brighter greener future that we all want then we canno