Skip to main content

Six more weeks of winter - or bits and pieces part duex

 **edit - I received some feedback that the links I share are not always visible.  So I am going to try highlighting them for now to see if that helps.**

Maybe an actual photo of me?
     Spring is coming, there is even a countdown clock for it available on the internet.  So far the winter hasn't been as bad as I had feared.   We have only had a few days where the temperature has dropped below freezing and for the most part the snow has been manageable.   I've managed to only have to shovel my driveway a handful of times this year.  We are currently experiencing the coldest snap of the year but the day is sunny and bright and that helps.

    I have to admit that I'm not happy at this moment, being wrapped up in sweaters and wearing thermal pajamas to bed each night.  However, I remind myself that this to shall pass.

    I moved South to escape the cold and moved back up north to escape the every increasing heat in the South.  I do believe in Global Warming and remember much colder and longer winters in my youth.  I still hate the cold though.

    That being said; we basically have six more weeks of winter, January seemed to drag on for ever and February is really when we need to kick our gardening plans into gear.  I have big plans but know I'll have to scale those back depending on my skill building things.    So we should end up with a half assed uneven gardening bed (singular).

   The Gardening Zone that we live in basically has the last frost somewhere in May and the first frost of winter can happen between September 15 through October 15.  Basically we are looking at a four to five month growing season. 

    Somehow, planting in May just doesn't seem right to me.   April seems like a better month for planting overall but I'll wait and follow the directions of the various gardeners around me.    

    Still though, a four to five month growing season will still probably feel like a blink and you miss it occurrence.  Considering that some things that I was planning to accomplish these winter months still have not been accomplished I don't think we are very prepared.   So maybe having a late planting season is a good thing?   We do not have any mulch for example, as my mulch pit never really got underway.

    While we are planning on keeping our garden small, after all there are only the two of us, I would just feel better if I was better prepared. I also need to remember to not go crazy.   Thankfully I found a plant calculator site that gives me insight to possible yield and other information. 

Lovage
 
     
The problem with gardening that I'm finding at least is that there are so many things that I would love to try and grow.   Lovage for example is a plant that I came across while ago and discussed in another post.  I just have to remind myself that I'll get to that still murky destination eventually.

    Still though, there are so many interesting plants and foods that I would love to try and grow.  

    The good news however is that the powers that be have determined that we will not be going back into work till August.  Frankly, I hope that we never do go back.   My job can be done from home and despite some early issues with internet connections and lower productivity, we have been seeing productivity actually start to raise.  It's not exactly where it used to be, but the numbers are getting close.   Add in the savings that my company is experiencing in not having to hire cleaning crews, saving on electricity and security, etc.   There is a good chance that we may never go back.  

    Considering how I have a one hour commute to Pittsburgh and a two hour commute to Cleveland (where my "office" is technically located) I'm perfectly fine with working from home into the foreseeable future.  

    However in order to keep my insurance license and other licensing and certificates in order, I have to take a variety of continuing education classes.   Normally I get this stuff out of the way throughout the year, but the past year - as we all know - was anything but ordinary.  Maybe if things get back to normal soon, I'll pursue my Certification in Insurance Underwriting.   I've made a good career out of something I fell into.   Why not stay in it?

    So for the month of February and part of March, I'll be concentrating on getting those accomplished. I learn best when I'm in a classroom; where I can talk about ideas, debate and discuss things.  While I understand that online learning has a lot of advantages...I find that I'm to easily distracted.   

   

Amish Cup Cheese sans Cup

    Finally just an update on my experiment with Amish Cup Cheese.   Susan loved it, calling it the best cheese that I have made so far.  In fact, out of the three small mason jars that I had made we have only a half jar left.   She actually asked me to make it again.  

    The cheese spreads really well on warm bagels and I may add some herbs to the next batch I make, although I think next time, I'll use a pie plate and pour the cheese into that.   It would simply make it easier to apply it to bread or crackers.    Try it on warm bread or toast in particular. 

   

Comments

What all the cool kids are reading.

Maybe we need to rethink invasive species???

Hi. As the writer of the post and feel that I need to clarify something. I do not advocate the planting of invasive species. The point that I'm trying to make, and clearly didn't, is that perhaps we should be thinking about an invasive species in a different light. Apples, figs and other crops are clearly non native to America and Europe but are widely cultivated because they have use to humans as a food source, animal feed, etc. Kudzu is an edible plant and although it is clearly harmful can it be used someway by humans? It's a food source, it's been used as a cloth and is showing some use as a building material. All I'm trying to do is to create discussion on how we can use invasive plants in new ways.   It's mid April here in Western Pennsylvania and so far it's been warm and wet.  The buzz of lawnmowers fill the air as I gallivant through my back yard collecting dandelions to make some tea and bread with them.  I had always known that they w

Why didn't Erie, PA develop into a bigger city?

          Recently I had to travel up to Erie, PA for business.   It's about an hour north of me and is a rather small city, having just under 100 thousand people living in it.   It played an important role in the founding of America,  - where it was the headquarters for Oliver Perry's flagship Niagara during the battle of Like Erie in the war of 1812 .            It was also a important shipping center, being Pennsylvania's only access to the Great Lakes which was the easiest way to trade with parts of Canada at the time as well as move goods to the cities of Detroit and Chicago, which in the mid to early 1800's were just starting to develop.  It was also directly north from Pittsburgh which was a major industrial city at that time.     Yet Erie never really grew beyond it's humble beginnings and I wondered why.   Like any good sleuth I turned to the internet where I found mostly wrong answers.    Many people thought the port of Erie was to shallow to handle most

Don't leave the rural areas behind.

This blog was started because I had lived most of my life as an urban dweller; I wanted to record my adventures as I tried my hands at different things and I never pictured this blog would become what it did. Country life suits me in some ways.   I'm at a point in my life where I can appreciate looking up into the night sky and seeing thousands of stars, just like I did as a kid.   I just love how the moonlight bathes my beautiful sleeping wife in a creme colored light.   Country life is more peaceful and a lot more hard work than I would have ever expected.  While my neighbors and I may not agree politically or philosophically, my new lifestyle has given me insights on how they view the world. This brings me to my main point.   Here in rural America we simply don't have public transportation, nor do we have a lot of manufacturing or diversity or hospitals or even great education...and if we are going to move forward with a brighter greener future that we all want then we canno