Skip to main content

Six more weeks of winter - or bits and pieces part duex

 **edit - I received some feedback that the links I share are not always visible.  So I am going to try highlighting them for now to see if that helps.**

Maybe an actual photo of me?
     Spring is coming, there is even a countdown clock for it available on the internet.  So far the winter hasn't been as bad as I had feared.   We have only had a few days where the temperature has dropped below freezing and for the most part the snow has been manageable.   I've managed to only have to shovel my driveway a handful of times this year.  We are currently experiencing the coldest snap of the year but the day is sunny and bright and that helps.

    I have to admit that I'm not happy at this moment, being wrapped up in sweaters and wearing thermal pajamas to bed each night.  However, I remind myself that this to shall pass.

    I moved South to escape the cold and moved back up north to escape the every increasing heat in the South.  I do believe in Global Warming and remember much colder and longer winters in my youth.  I still hate the cold though.

    That being said; we basically have six more weeks of winter, January seemed to drag on for ever and February is really when we need to kick our gardening plans into gear.  I have big plans but know I'll have to scale those back depending on my skill building things.    So we should end up with a half assed uneven gardening bed (singular).

   The Gardening Zone that we live in basically has the last frost somewhere in May and the first frost of winter can happen between September 15 through October 15.  Basically we are looking at a four to five month growing season. 

    Somehow, planting in May just doesn't seem right to me.   April seems like a better month for planting overall but I'll wait and follow the directions of the various gardeners around me.    

    Still though, a four to five month growing season will still probably feel like a blink and you miss it occurrence.  Considering that some things that I was planning to accomplish these winter months still have not been accomplished I don't think we are very prepared.   So maybe having a late planting season is a good thing?   We do not have any mulch for example, as my mulch pit never really got underway.

    While we are planning on keeping our garden small, after all there are only the two of us, I would just feel better if I was better prepared. I also need to remember to not go crazy.   Thankfully I found a plant calculator site that gives me insight to possible yield and other information. 

Lovage
 
     
The problem with gardening that I'm finding at least is that there are so many things that I would love to try and grow.   Lovage for example is a plant that I came across while ago and discussed in another post.  I just have to remind myself that I'll get to that still murky destination eventually.

    Still though, there are so many interesting plants and foods that I would love to try and grow.  

    The good news however is that the powers that be have determined that we will not be going back into work till August.  Frankly, I hope that we never do go back.   My job can be done from home and despite some early issues with internet connections and lower productivity, we have been seeing productivity actually start to raise.  It's not exactly where it used to be, but the numbers are getting close.   Add in the savings that my company is experiencing in not having to hire cleaning crews, saving on electricity and security, etc.   There is a good chance that we may never go back.  

    Considering how I have a one hour commute to Pittsburgh and a two hour commute to Cleveland (where my "office" is technically located) I'm perfectly fine with working from home into the foreseeable future.  

    However in order to keep my insurance license and other licensing and certificates in order, I have to take a variety of continuing education classes.   Normally I get this stuff out of the way throughout the year, but the past year - as we all know - was anything but ordinary.  Maybe if things get back to normal soon, I'll pursue my Certification in Insurance Underwriting.   I've made a good career out of something I fell into.   Why not stay in it?

    So for the month of February and part of March, I'll be concentrating on getting those accomplished. I learn best when I'm in a classroom; where I can talk about ideas, debate and discuss things.  While I understand that online learning has a lot of advantages...I find that I'm to easily distracted.   

   

Amish Cup Cheese sans Cup

    Finally just an update on my experiment with Amish Cup Cheese.   Susan loved it, calling it the best cheese that I have made so far.  In fact, out of the three small mason jars that I had made we have only a half jar left.   She actually asked me to make it again.  

    The cheese spreads really well on warm bagels and I may add some herbs to the next batch I make, although I think next time, I'll use a pie plate and pour the cheese into that.   It would simply make it easier to apply it to bread or crackers.    Try it on warm bread or toast in particular. 

   

Comments

What all the cool kids are reading.

In praise of the simple pumpkin. It has a lot of potential other than pies.

As I write this the temperature is climbing.  We have a window or two open, knowing that soon enough we will be shutting up the house for the next three months or so we can protect ourselves and our cats against the onslaught of winter.   Our wood stove burned overnight to take the chill out of the air and I found myself buying new boots and gloves and driving home with the windows down. This is the nature of autumn in Western Pennsylvania and as I sip on my pumpkin flavored coffee, I cannot help but praise the fruit of the season, and yes it is a fruit, the simple pumpkin. A few things are still growing in our garden, the last of the herbs and tomatoes...a stray pepper or two that needs to be picked.  Yet I find myself interested in growing pumpkins next year after realizing their potential and that they are high in nutritional value.   It's easy to forget in our modern world just how easy we have it as compared to our great grandparents and their grandparents....

Dopamine fix and my take on AI.

When I sat down at the computer recently to type all of this out,  I let out frustrated sigh.    I had plans to release a completely different blog post long before this date but over the last two weeks or so I've done everything I could do but actually work on the yard, or write, or just do anything that was constructive. When you are moving towards a dream or an idea or...well anything really, you can't break the chain.  Even if it's just 10 minutes a day working, that is constructive.    I have an addiction.  It's not to drugs or alcohol and in a way that would be a bit more excusable.   I have an addiction to dopamine .    Dopamine simply is a chemical in your brain that makes you feel good, and it in turn unleashes other "pleasure" chemicals in your brain.  In my case it a program called Second Life,  (SL) which honestly, I used to be on all the time in the early 2000's.  It's hard to explain but the term multius...

A sense of time in place - traveling in Central PA

One of the first items that Sue and I bought as a couple all those years ago was a grandfather clock.  We used to snuggle under the blanket and listen to the chimes on the hour, the sound filling our house with a warmth and resonance.   That clock is nothing special, being simple in its design and technology.  It's accurate because of the beauty of physics and math...and is a lost art form in its own right. I thought a lot about time and place as we traveled this week.  I thought a lot about place.   Sue and I finally took a brief vacation recently.  Due to circumstances beyond our control, every plan we had made to get away earlier in the year came to naught.  My father became ill and ended up in the hospital which we decided to stay home "just in case."  He ended up in the hospital at least three times this past year, and I decided to spend what time I could with him. Family, after all, is what brought us back to Pennsylvania. We had p...