Skip to main content

A taste of the secret Amish Kitchens

    I don't know what attracts me to "Amish Cheese's."  I came across a few recipes while putting about on the interwebs and was taken by them.  They do seem rather simple to make and they require little in actual work but they do require time.  While not exactly a "set it and forget it" cheese, these cheeses often used milk that has spoiled naturally over time or "Clabbered."  

    Which, considering the Amish lifestyle, makes perfect sense.  The Amish are not a wasteful people.   

    One cheese that caught my eye is called Amish Cup Cheese.   It is a soft spread where you heated the milk to room temperature first (about 72 F) then let it cool, letting the curds seperate from the whey.    Then you add a bit ingredients and again...you "rested" the cheese for 12 hours before moving on to the next step.  Then, again add some more ingredients then rest for 5 hours before moving on.  It's not hard, just time consuming.

     It's simplicity was in the fact that their were no cultures, no rennet (if you wished) and no pressing or aging.  The fact that this particular cheese probably dated back to the 1600's, if not before, and probably had remained unchanged during that period excited me.  After all, how often do you get to taste the food that people were eating 400 to 500 years ago?

    This is also one of the recipe's that would be best suited for raw, unpasteurized milk.  Again, not something that I would have in ready supply but the Amish here in Western Pennsylvania most certainly would.   I don't know any personally and wasn't sure how comfortable I would be to go and knock on their door asking for a gallon of it.  Because of that I was going to try my best with good old whole pasteurized milk.

    Or I may have been excited that I could only find limited information on this type of cheese.  Today, it appears that cup cheese is only eaten among the Amish and Mennonites at Church socials and special events like a wedding.   So that in itself made it interesting to me.

    Amish cheese making then is like a secret club that only a few people can partake in.  

    My research however did find that in his 1974 novel, Centennial,  the author James Michener commented on something called cup cheese:

“You ever tasted my mother’s cup cheese? Best in Lancaster.”

Taking a corner of his black bread, he spread it copiously with a yellowish viscous substance that one would not normally identify as cheese; it was more like a very thick, very cold molasses, and it had a horrific smell. Rebecca was not fond of cup cheese; it was a taste that men seemed to prefer.

“Poppa likes cup cheese,” she said with a neutral look on her pretty face.
“You don’t?” Levi asked.
“Too smelly.”

“That’s the good part.” He put the piece of bread to his nose, inhaling deeply. He knew of few things in the world he liked better than the smell of his mother’s cup cheese that smelled stronger than Limburger and tasted better. He ate her piece, his own, and what was left and then licked the container.

 

     Nearly every description that I can find seems to say the same thing.  That cup cheese has a smell similar to Limburger and a glue like consistency  Many of these same sources state it was also made with processed American cheese...only no recipe that I found actually called for processed American cheese.  No, I'm not talking about the differences between how they are made but the use of actual American cheese.  Yes, that orange tasteless stuff.

    In the video below, she made a type of cup cheese and did not mention smell, nor did the consistency seem that different that different than a cheese dip you buy at the store.  Could cup cheese have received a bad rap?  Could this be "Fake News"?   I was curious to know.

   OK, the recipe that I'm using states that it's rather bland and originally I thought that I could add fresh berries or something else to it to give it a bit of flavor.   So I was curious to know if it was a thick smelly cheese...or a dip or spread.  If I liked it and wanted to make it again, a little bit of added flavoring could be in order.

     So basically I'm looking at using up an entire weekend..for a cheese I may not even like.    Cool, I'm into this.  It's like one of those science experiments you used to do in High School or in college. 

    As far as it's nutritional value, I did find some evidence that it is very high in saturated fat, sodium, and cholesterol. Approximately 70% of the total calories in cup cheese are from fat, although it does not contain any trans fats. It has quite a bit of protein and small amounts of several minerals, however, including potassium, so it does have some nutritional value but I'm not sure of the exact break down. 

     Again however, a website claiming to sell cup cheese stated it was fat free.   They were using skim milk, so I'm thinking originally it was pretty fatty.    I am half tempted to order some and compare taste and consistency. 

    In my research I found this little video which should give you an idea on what the process looked like, although I followed my recipe, she follows a slightly different recipe.  I don't particularly like this particular video, due to how its produced, but.there is only limited info available on cup cheese. 



     So after everything was said and done....what did I think?

    While when I initially cut into the curd after letting it sit at room temperature overnight with the buttermilk and rennet added, it reminded me of a  custard.   I stuck my nose in and took a deep breath.  Nope, nothing unusual.  

    After hand ladling the curds into the colander, I had a very nice yield of cheese curds with a nice solid consistency.  After letting the curds drain for 12 hours, I added 3 tablespoons of butter and a 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda.   Sadly I think the pot I was using for a double broiler was conducting the heat, for what I was ending up with reminded me of marshmallow fluff.   I expected the cheese to melt more.

    As I tasted the cheese however I was reminded of the Queso Blanco (or white American cheese) you get at Mexican Restaurants (and suddenly the processed cheese mentioned above starts to make sense).  

   

my homemade double broiler
    I did break with the recipe a bit here and added a tablespoon of salt to taste, as the cheese did seem bland.  Honestly I don't know what I was thinking, a 1/2 of teaspoon should have been enough as my final product did have a bit of saltiness to it.

    I also broke with the recipe in another way, and I recommend you do as well.  Add the creamer right at the beginning of the final step.   There is a lot of stirring involved here and my hand is still cramped.  However adding the heavy cream will melt the cheese a faster and help break down the large chucks of cheese.

    In the end I was rather happy with the final product, it did remind me of a Queso Blanco that you would find at any Mexican restaurant and with the addition of some green pepper and chili, I think you have a pretty good copy.   

    It is a rather bland taste however without anything added and I don't smell anything approaching "Limburger."   This is actually a pretty simple cheese to make, but at the end of the day it does require a lot of stirring.   

    Since this is a cup cheese, I decided to store my cheese is some small Mason jars that we had laying about, I ended up with 3 jars full of cheese.  Not a bad yield I think.     Although in my research, I did see someone use a pie plate which may be a better way to store this particular cheese.  

    Overall it's a good cheese, its a nice spread for bread or on a chip.   I'm still debating if I would make it again though.  If I did, I would kick up the flavor a bit with some chili's and green pepper.



    **Edit**  My wife loved this cheese and asked me to make it again.  So that alone is worth noting.

   

Comments

What all the cool kids are reading.

Maybe we need to rethink invasive species???

Hi. As the writer of the post and feel that I need to clarify something. I do not advocate the planting of invasive species. The point that I'm trying to make, and clearly didn't, is that perhaps we should be thinking about an invasive species in a different light. Apples, figs and other crops are clearly non native to America and Europe but are widely cultivated because they have use to humans as a food source, animal feed, etc. Kudzu is an edible plant and although it is clearly harmful can it be used someway by humans? It's a food source, it's been used as a cloth and is showing some use as a building material. All I'm trying to do is to create discussion on how we can use invasive plants in new ways.   It's mid April here in Western Pennsylvania and so far it's been warm and wet.  The buzz of lawnmowers fill the air as I gallivant through my back yard collecting dandelions to make some tea and bread with them.  I had always known that they w

Why didn't Erie, PA develop into a bigger city?

          Recently I had to travel up to Erie, PA for business.   It's about an hour north of me and is a rather small city, having just under 100 thousand people living in it.   It played an important role in the founding of America,  - where it was the headquarters for Oliver Perry's flagship Niagara during the battle of Like Erie in the war of 1812 .            It was also a important shipping center, being Pennsylvania's only access to the Great Lakes which was the easiest way to trade with parts of Canada at the time as well as move goods to the cities of Detroit and Chicago, which in the mid to early 1800's were just starting to develop.  It was also directly north from Pittsburgh which was a major industrial city at that time.     Yet Erie never really grew beyond it's humble beginnings and I wondered why.   Like any good sleuth I turned to the internet where I found mostly wrong answers.    Many people thought the port of Erie was to shallow to handle most

Don't leave the rural areas behind.

This blog was started because I had lived most of my life as an urban dweller; I wanted to record my adventures as I tried my hands at different things and I never pictured this blog would become what it did. Country life suits me in some ways.   I'm at a point in my life where I can appreciate looking up into the night sky and seeing thousands of stars, just like I did as a kid.   I just love how the moonlight bathes my beautiful sleeping wife in a creme colored light.   Country life is more peaceful and a lot more hard work than I would have ever expected.  While my neighbors and I may not agree politically or philosophically, my new lifestyle has given me insights on how they view the world. This brings me to my main point.   Here in rural America we simply don't have public transportation, nor do we have a lot of manufacturing or diversity or hospitals or even great education...and if we are going to move forward with a brighter greener future that we all want then we canno