Skip to main content

On Lovage, long forgotton plants and lawn mowers

 First off, I'm a fan of history and food.  So when I found Tasting History on YouTube I was a fan right off the bat.

In fact, I tried this dish below.  Although I was disappointed in it at the end of the day.  I didn't have two of the ingredients; lovage and caraway seeds (which Sue swore she had), so I ended up replacing them with celery leaf and cumin.  The chicken ended up being very moist and peppery but there was no "wow" flavor.  Nothing that unusual about it, even though it used several ingredients that I was unfamiliar with.  I don't mind being pushed out of my comfort zone in the name of good food.


It did bring up an interesting question for me however.  If I'm serious about learning how to garden, preserving my food and other things...would I be willing to try and raise "forgotten" foods?

This interest actually goes all the way back to collage, when I learned that Spirulina was used by the Aztecs in a type of dried cake.   Of course, the Spaniards - being the more "civilized" - looked down upon this food and it fell out of favor.  Today, it's made a bit of a comeback as a supplement but is still not consumed in mass qualities.  I guess most people don't want to eat an algae.  In fact, their are entire libraries about food that fell out of favor for what ever reason.

Other foods, such as the so called ancient grains, have made a comeback in recent years due to a variety of reasons, including an increase in Celiac Disease over the last several years.  Now I could make a snarky comment about marketing here...but I won't.

Anyhow, to get back on topic.   Why not grow some plants that have been forgotten?  Or at least try to?

I'm not talking about raising Ortolan Buntings either.  I'm talking about Lovage.  I'm talking about Ground Cherries, Egyptian onions, Sorrel and other forgotten plants.  


However that is still in the spring, which will be here before I know it.  As such, I've started a small mulch pile out back which currently exists only of leaf debris and a bit of organics like an old apple core or two.  I'll be adding a more "green" layer to it with grass clippings soon enough.   We were thinking about buying a 20 year old lawnmower with a snow plow attachment and an old trailer to help cut the lawn, move the mulch to the garden and the wood to the house.

I've been to realize just how useful something like that could be around our two + acres.

I'm really getting into the research here, and I've often said that I am a researcher at heart, and hope to be able to take all this knowledge to a practical level soon enough.   Although I've a feeling that our first garden will be smaller than I think and not on raised beds like I would like.   

That's okay, I'm still learning.   '

We will be planting the more traditional cucumbers, tomatoes, garlic, onions, etc as well.   For Sue and myself, it's more about getting out food bill down and living a more sustainable lifestyle.  I'm attracted to the idea of keeping some of the more historically grown plants alive and vital.

Comments

What all the cool kids are reading.

In praise of the simple pumpkin. It has a lot of potential other than pies.

As I write this the temperature is climbing.  We have a window or two open, knowing that soon enough we will be shutting up the house for the next three months or so we can protect ourselves and our cats against the onslaught of winter.   Our wood stove burned overnight to take the chill out of the air and I found myself buying new boots and gloves and driving home with the windows down. This is the nature of autumn in Western Pennsylvania and as I sip on my pumpkin flavored coffee, I cannot help but praise the fruit of the season, and yes it is a fruit, the simple pumpkin. A few things are still growing in our garden, the last of the herbs and tomatoes...a stray pepper or two that needs to be picked.  Yet I find myself interested in growing pumpkins next year after realizing their potential and that they are high in nutritional value.   It's easy to forget in our modern world just how easy we have it as compared to our great grandparents and their grandparents....

Dopamine fix and my take on AI.

When I sat down at the computer recently to type all of this out,  I let out frustrated sigh.    I had plans to release a completely different blog post long before this date but over the last two weeks or so I've done everything I could do but actually work on the yard, or write, or just do anything that was constructive. When you are moving towards a dream or an idea or...well anything really, you can't break the chain.  Even if it's just 10 minutes a day working, that is constructive.    I have an addiction.  It's not to drugs or alcohol and in a way that would be a bit more excusable.   I have an addiction to dopamine .    Dopamine simply is a chemical in your brain that makes you feel good, and it in turn unleashes other "pleasure" chemicals in your brain.  In my case it a program called Second Life,  (SL) which honestly, I used to be on all the time in the early 2000's.  It's hard to explain but the term multius...

A sense of time in place - traveling in Central PA

One of the first items that Sue and I bought as a couple all those years ago was a grandfather clock.  We used to snuggle under the blanket and listen to the chimes on the hour, the sound filling our house with a warmth and resonance.   That clock is nothing special, being simple in its design and technology.  It's accurate because of the beauty of physics and math...and is a lost art form in its own right. I thought a lot about time and place as we traveled this week.  I thought a lot about place.   Sue and I finally took a brief vacation recently.  Due to circumstances beyond our control, every plan we had made to get away earlier in the year came to naught.  My father became ill and ended up in the hospital which we decided to stay home "just in case."  He ended up in the hospital at least three times this past year, and I decided to spend what time I could with him. Family, after all, is what brought us back to Pennsylvania. We had p...