Skip to main content

Practical prepping, onion dishes and other meanderings

Without getting into much detail, I was sitting in a doctor's office  recently waiting on my appointment browsing through "Bon Appetit" magazine.  There was a recipe that caught my eye, which at the time of this writing; I have not tried.   I'll be sure to include the recipe for Tomato Roasted Onions with Paprika on the recipe links page of this blog. 

What caught my attention was not only were they using onion as the main dish, but the ease and simplicity of it as well.  It also feeds into something that I've been thinking about recently (pun intended).  That is the very real threat of food scarcity in the near future due to climate change.

We are only a super storm or a drought away from disaster and a few years ago some food and other items disappeared off the shelves due to COVID.  Costs for other foods skyrocketed and came down slowly over time.  

This food scarcity issue was mostly a temporary one, but it did serve as a wake up call for most people.  Sadly, to many forgot the lessons of COVID all to quickly.

While it was wonderful to see communities pull together in a variety of ways during this event, it also exposed just how ill prepared the majority of people were for such an event.  It is my hope that this post helps prepare you and your family for the next disaster; if that be natural, man - made or economic.   

Susan and myself do have a fully packed pantry (that takes up most of our basement) and various canned goods, we have a freezer full of meat and a generator that can run on either gas or propane if needed.  

We don't have a well but access to fresh spring water in our area as well as two cases of bottled water.

We believe that we can not help others through tough times unless we are prepared ourselves.  We also really don't consider ourselves to be "prepper's" as such, but after living in Florida for all those years we have gotten used to the idea of bugging out for a hurricane, or that we might be without power/water/services for a few days.  You adapt to the situation.  We have become "practical prepper's" due to circumstances.

Due to a variety of reasons, mostly deer eating the majority of my garden, I've decided not to plant a garden this year but instead concentrate on erecting a trellis for grapes, strawberries and blueberries.  I'm planting some trees as well.  The whole idea behind this is that I want to leave a forageable food forest for future generations.

These plants however will take time to mature before they bear fruit and I could not help but wonder what native plants would due well in the wetter/warmer climate that we expect in the future? What perennial vegetables for example would be quick and easy to grow?  What staple dishes could be made that were inexpensive and easy to make?

Which brings me back to the onion dish.

Onions are a nutrient rich perennial food source, low in calories and high in potassium and manganese which are generally easy to grow as well. They are also full of antioxidants which help the immune system.  

 In other words, it's a good "prepper" food.  A little bit of research and I found a wartime recipe which used peanuts and onions to make a protein filled side dish.  In fact, there is quite a bit you can use onions for.

They are also a cheap food that can be stored for up to a year in a variety of ways.  You can also pickle and can onions for even longer storage life or you don't have access to a freezer. 

 

Much like the pumpkin this is an amazing food that historically been used to get our ancestors through some tough times.  It's an ancient food and really should be utilized more.  I'm really surprised at how many of these simple dishes have been forgotten and replaced with prepacked crap.  There really is nothing better than fresh food.

I'm going to try one or two of these recipes in the next few days, so be sure to check out the Facebook page for my reactions.  I'm actually looking forward to trying them.

 

Comments

What all the cool kids are reading.

Don't leave the rural areas behind.

This blog was started because I had lived most of my life as an urban dweller; I wanted to record my adventures as I tried my hands at different things and I never pictured this blog would become what it did. Country life suits me in some ways.   I'm at a point in my life where I can appreciate looking up into the night sky and seeing thousands of stars, just like I did as a kid.   I just love how the moonlight bathes my beautiful sleeping wife in a creme colored light.   Country life is more peaceful and a lot more hard work than I would have ever expected.  While my neighbors and I may not agree politically or philosophically, my new lifestyle has given me insights on how they view the world. This brings me to my main point.   Here in rural America we simply don't have public transportation, nor do we have a lot of manufacturing or diversity or hospitals or even great education...and if we are going to move forward with a brighter greener future that we all want then we canno

Maybe we need to rethink invasive species???

Hi. As the writer of the post and feel that I need to clarify something. I do not advocate the planting of invasive species. The point that I'm trying to make, and clearly didn't, is that perhaps we should be thinking about an invasive species in a different light. Apples, figs and other crops are clearly non native to America and Europe but are widely cultivated because they have use to humans as a food source, animal feed, etc. Kudzu is an edible plant and although it is clearly harmful can it be used someway by humans? It's a food source, it's been used as a cloth and is showing some use as a building material. All I'm trying to do is to create discussion on how we can use invasive plants in new ways.   It's mid April here in Western Pennsylvania and so far it's been warm and wet.  The buzz of lawnmowers fill the air as I gallivant through my back yard collecting dandelions to make some tea and bread with them.  I had always known that they w

Why didn't Erie, PA develop into a bigger city?

          Recently I had to travel up to Erie, PA for business.   It's about an hour north of me and is a rather small city, having just under 100 thousand people living in it.   It played an important role in the founding of America,  - where it was the headquarters for Oliver Perry's flagship Niagara during the battle of Like Erie in the war of 1812 .            It was also a important shipping center, being Pennsylvania's only access to the Great Lakes which was the easiest way to trade with parts of Canada at the time as well as move goods to the cities of Detroit and Chicago, which in the mid to early 1800's were just starting to develop.  It was also directly north from Pittsburgh which was a major industrial city at that time.     Yet Erie never really grew beyond it's humble beginnings and I wondered why.   Like any good sleuth I turned to the internet where I found mostly wrong answers.    Many people thought the port of Erie was to shallow to handle most