Skip to main content

In praise of the simple pumpkin. It has a lot of potential other than pies.

As I write this the temperature is climbing.  We have a window or two open, knowing that soon enough we will be shutting up the house for the next three months or so we can protect ourselves and our cats against the onslaught of winter.  

Our wood stove burned overnight to take the chill out of the air and I found myself buying new boots and gloves and driving home with the windows down.

This is the nature of autumn in Western Pennsylvania and as I sip on my pumpkin flavored coffee, I cannot help but praise the fruit of the season, and yes it is a fruit, the simple pumpkin.

A few things are still growing in our garden, the last of the herbs and tomatoes...a stray pepper or two that needs to be picked.  Yet I find myself interested in growing pumpkins next year after realizing their potential and that they are high in nutritional value. 


It's easy to forget in our modern world just how easy we have it as compared to our great grandparents and their grandparents.  For the most part the majority of Americans don't have to worry about food scarcity or where their next meal is coming from but in the past the pumpkin was a staple to ensure that you had enough food for the winter.

However the world is warming at an alarming rate and although I don't believe in the collapse of our civilization any time soon, I do believe that we are only one or two disasters from things falling apart for short periods of time.  This actually can effect pumpkin crops so hybrids are being developed to withstand warming temperatures.

What I discovered was interesting because not only are pumpkins healthy but they are easy to preserve as well and pumpkins can last up to five months which was more than enough time to get our ancestors through winter and into the beginning of the next growing season.  An "average" pumpkin will weigh about four to five pounds.  


Every part of the fruit is edible and can be used in a variety of ways that I won't go into here but they can be preserved by freezing, drying and traditional canning techniques. 

Another benefit of pumpkins is that deer love them, and they are often used by hunters to lure deer even to this day; although that also means that the gardener must take precautions against them as well.   They are an annual native species and require a bit more TLC than other plants might but considering the yield and modern preservation methods pumpkins only make sense as an addition to the garden.

Generally speaking you can get anywhere from two to five pumpkins on a plant depending on the species and it is possible to save the mature seeds for next year's crop as well making it an economical plant to grow.

 It should be noted that pumpkins release methane as they break down and should be used in your compost pile or broken up to feed the various birds and woodland creatures. 

So anyhow, just a bit on the lovely pumpkin that I thought was worth sharing with you my gentle readership.

Comments

  1. I'd love to grow pumpkins and squash in general to get through winter, but the squash bugs get them every time unfortunately. I'm trying the sheer numbers game next year for sure.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

What all the cool kids are reading.

Maybe we need to rethink invasive species???

Hi. As the writer of the post and feel that I need to clarify something. I do not advocate the planting of invasive species. The point that I'm trying to make, and clearly didn't, is that perhaps we should be thinking about an invasive species in a different light. Apples, figs and other crops are clearly non native to America and Europe but are widely cultivated because they have use to humans as a food source, animal feed, etc. Kudzu is an edible plant and although it is clearly harmful can it be used someway by humans? It's a food source, it's been used as a cloth and is showing some use as a building material. All I'm trying to do is to create discussion on how we can use invasive plants in new ways.   It's mid April here in Western Pennsylvania and so far it's been warm and wet.  The buzz of lawnmowers fill the air as I gallivant through my back yard collecting dandelions to make some tea and bread with them.  I had always known that they w

Why didn't Erie, PA develop into a bigger city?

          Recently I had to travel up to Erie, PA for business.   It's about an hour north of me and is a rather small city, having just under 100 thousand people living in it.   It played an important role in the founding of America,  - where it was the headquarters for Oliver Perry's flagship Niagara during the battle of Like Erie in the war of 1812 .            It was also a important shipping center, being Pennsylvania's only access to the Great Lakes which was the easiest way to trade with parts of Canada at the time as well as move goods to the cities of Detroit and Chicago, which in the mid to early 1800's were just starting to develop.  It was also directly north from Pittsburgh which was a major industrial city at that time.     Yet Erie never really grew beyond it's humble beginnings and I wondered why.   Like any good sleuth I turned to the internet where I found mostly wrong answers.    Many people thought the port of Erie was to shallow to handle most

Don't leave the rural areas behind.

This blog was started because I had lived most of my life as an urban dweller; I wanted to record my adventures as I tried my hands at different things and I never pictured this blog would become what it did. Country life suits me in some ways.   I'm at a point in my life where I can appreciate looking up into the night sky and seeing thousands of stars, just like I did as a kid.   I just love how the moonlight bathes my beautiful sleeping wife in a creme colored light.   Country life is more peaceful and a lot more hard work than I would have ever expected.  While my neighbors and I may not agree politically or philosophically, my new lifestyle has given me insights on how they view the world. This brings me to my main point.   Here in rural America we simply don't have public transportation, nor do we have a lot of manufacturing or diversity or hospitals or even great education...and if we are going to move forward with a brighter greener future that we all want then we canno