Skip to main content

In praise of the simple pumpkin. It has a lot of potential other than pies.

As I write this the temperature is climbing.  We have a window or two open, knowing that soon enough we will be shutting up the house for the next three months or so we can protect ourselves and our cats against the onslaught of winter.  

Our wood stove burned overnight to take the chill out of the air and I found myself buying new boots and gloves and driving home with the windows down.

This is the nature of autumn in Western Pennsylvania and as I sip on my pumpkin flavored coffee, I cannot help but praise the fruit of the season, and yes it is a fruit, the simple pumpkin.

A few things are still growing in our garden, the last of the herbs and tomatoes...a stray pepper or two that needs to be picked.  Yet I find myself interested in growing pumpkins next year after realizing their potential and that they are high in nutritional value. 


It's easy to forget in our modern world just how easy we have it as compared to our great grandparents and their grandparents.  For the most part the majority of Americans don't have to worry about food scarcity or where their next meal is coming from but in the past the pumpkin was a staple to ensure that you had enough food for the winter.

However the world is warming at an alarming rate and although I don't believe in the collapse of our civilization any time soon, I do believe that we are only one or two disasters from things falling apart for short periods of time.  This actually can effect pumpkin crops so hybrids are being developed to withstand warming temperatures.

What I discovered was interesting because not only are pumpkins healthy but they are easy to preserve as well and pumpkins can last up to five months which was more than enough time to get our ancestors through winter and into the beginning of the next growing season.  An "average" pumpkin will weigh about four to five pounds.  


Every part of the fruit is edible and can be used in a variety of ways that I won't go into here but they can be preserved by freezing, drying and traditional canning techniques. 

Another benefit of pumpkins is that deer love them, and they are often used by hunters to lure deer even to this day; although that also means that the gardener must take precautions against them as well.   They are an annual native species and require a bit more TLC than other plants might but considering the yield and modern preservation methods pumpkins only make sense as an addition to the garden.

Generally speaking you can get anywhere from two to five pumpkins on a plant depending on the species and it is possible to save the mature seeds for next year's crop as well making it an economical plant to grow.

 It should be noted that pumpkins release methane as they break down and should be used in your compost pile or broken up to feed the various birds and woodland creatures. 

So anyhow, just a bit on the lovely pumpkin that I thought was worth sharing with you my gentle readership.

Comments

  1. I'd love to grow pumpkins and squash in general to get through winter, but the squash bugs get them every time unfortunately. I'm trying the sheer numbers game next year for sure.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

What all the cool kids are reading.

Dopamine fix and my take on AI.

When I sat down at the computer recently to type all of this out,  I let out frustrated sigh.    I had plans to release a completely different blog post long before this date but over the last two weeks or so I've done everything I could do but actually work on the yard, or write, or just do anything that was constructive. When you are moving towards a dream or an idea or...well anything really, you can't break the chain.  Even if it's just 10 minutes a day working, that is constructive.    I have an addiction.  It's not to drugs or alcohol and in a way that would be a bit more excusable.   I have an addiction to dopamine .    Dopamine simply is a chemical in your brain that makes you feel good, and it in turn unleashes other "pleasure" chemicals in your brain.  In my case it a program called Second Life,  (SL) which honestly, I used to be on all the time in the early 2000's.  It's hard to explain but the term multius...

Between the rock and a hard place

This is the "personal" piece that I didn't plan on writing at all. I keep this blog to help me sort out the jumble of thoughts and emotions that are always bouncing around my head and for the sake of history.  For example, I knew I suffered from depression when I went back and read my personal journals; noticing how I was always bitching about the same things but never doing anything to change it.   The old saying about repeating the same pattern and expecting different results is very true.  Once I broke out of those patterns (with help from a mental health professional) my life got a whole hell of a lot better.  Thus it sort of pains me to see me considering going back into a career that I never expected to be in the first place. Call Centers/Customer Service have been what I've done for the majority of my life.  When the pandemic came, I was able to work form home, and I got used to sitting around in my PJ's drinking my coffee and answering call after ca...