Skip to main content

Chomping at the bit. I really can't wait for spring

Suddenly it's spring!!!

 Actually, it's not but with temperatures in the high 40's (7 t0 9 C) it's certainly feeling like it.  We even hit a few days were it was 68 and 70 degrees (20 - 21 C).  The grass is starting to change from its winter brown to a lush and vibrant green; a few trees are even stating signs of early budding.  

However as anyone that has ever lived in Western Pennsylvania knows old man winter has at least one more trick up his sleeve and snow as late as April is a real possibility.  We can't count out the old man just yet.

If I am serious about wanting to plant a garden and work towards making this yard an edible oasis, then sometime this weekend I need to start planting seeds indoors.  That's the goal.  While we may not a proper garden this year, we have been prepping since last fall.  




It's not pretty but it's something.

Last year I think we waited too long to plant and didn't have much in the way of cross pollination, or pollination in general going on.  While we did have some tomatoes and cucumbers, which were small but delicious, we didn't have any luck with our zucchini -how is it even possible to NOT have zucchini??? - or peppers for example.

This year by starting the seeds a little earlier indoors, and have some wonderful lavender ready by the last frost to plant, those and the ever present dandelions should attract some pollinators.  Thyme, Chives and Oregano, three very common herbs, should also attract various pollinators' to the yard and I'm planting more than we could possibly use for that reason alone.  These plants have a reputation as a natural deer repellent as well. 

We are still planning on doing a container garden but eventually we will move the herbs to a dedicated spot all their own.  

The Sunchokes will hopefully bloom as well although I know very little about the care of this, or any other particular plant and to be honest am a bit concerned about how fast they may spread.  They are a late summer blooming plant and should provide the pollinator's a nice boost of energy come the fall.

I would like to possibly buy some Mountain Mint as well, not only because of its use as a super pollinator but because it has a reputation of being a deer resistant. I'm interested in this plant for several reasons, but mostly because I feel it could be a boarder plant between the wooded areas of my property and the "living' areas.   It addition to its being edible, it generally only grows between two to three (or under a meter) tall and only about two feet wide.  Although it can spread, it tends to do so slowly.

My hope is that I can keep the deer away as much as possible while attracting beneficial insects (pollinators) to the area.  They in turn will attract spiders and other beneficial insects to keep the deer tick population in check.

However I think that will be put off till the next year as the plan is to plant two native apple trees of some sort in this year.  We have discussed planting Hydrangea's as well mostly because of their big "snowball" flowers are simply lovely and can attract pollinator's.

However every part of the Hydrangea is non edible.  This sort of defeats the whole idea of an edible landscape in my mind.


I'll be taking part in the No Mow May movement again as well as letting a part of the yard continue to run wild.  I would like to get a yard sign or two to promote conversations with my neighbors.

Living where we do we also have to consider the damage caused by deer, and they did manage to eat more strawberries last year than Sue or I did.   We are planning using a combination of tricks to fool them and hopefully keep them away from the garden this year.   Everything from lights to fishing line to chemical deer repellent is on the table.   I know that I can't keep them away, but I'm hoping to minimize the damage they do as much as possible.  

Well we never know what the future holds...I feel like I'm on the right path here.   I just need to learn more about everything.


Comments

  1. That will be a wonderful garden spot. I started my pepper and early tomato plants on Monday and have some lettuce sown in the cold frames and green house (unheated). I want to try to grow my zucchini vertically this year, maybe it will deter the squash bugs if not it will save space. I don't have deer here in town, but if we move to the lake, I am afraid they will win and have a garden smorgasbord at my expense!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for those wonderful words. I never thought about growing zucchini vertically. I'll give that some thought!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

What all the cool kids are reading.

Maybe we need to rethink invasive species???

Hi. As the writer of the post and feel that I need to clarify something. I do not advocate the planting of invasive species. The point that I'm trying to make, and clearly didn't, is that perhaps we should be thinking about an invasive species in a different light. Apples, figs and other crops are clearly non native to America and Europe but are widely cultivated because they have use to humans as a food source, animal feed, etc. Kudzu is an edible plant and although it is clearly harmful can it be used someway by humans? It's a food source, it's been used as a cloth and is showing some use as a building material. All I'm trying to do is to create discussion on how we can use invasive plants in new ways.   It's mid April here in Western Pennsylvania and so far it's been warm and wet.  The buzz of lawnmowers fill the air as I gallivant through my back yard collecting dandelions to make some tea and bread with them.  I had always known that they w

Why didn't Erie, PA develop into a bigger city?

          Recently I had to travel up to Erie, PA for business.   It's about an hour north of me and is a rather small city, having just under 100 thousand people living in it.   It played an important role in the founding of America,  - where it was the headquarters for Oliver Perry's flagship Niagara during the battle of Like Erie in the war of 1812 .            It was also a important shipping center, being Pennsylvania's only access to the Great Lakes which was the easiest way to trade with parts of Canada at the time as well as move goods to the cities of Detroit and Chicago, which in the mid to early 1800's were just starting to develop.  It was also directly north from Pittsburgh which was a major industrial city at that time.     Yet Erie never really grew beyond it's humble beginnings and I wondered why.   Like any good sleuth I turned to the internet where I found mostly wrong answers.    Many people thought the port of Erie was to shallow to handle most

Don't leave the rural areas behind.

This blog was started because I had lived most of my life as an urban dweller; I wanted to record my adventures as I tried my hands at different things and I never pictured this blog would become what it did. Country life suits me in some ways.   I'm at a point in my life where I can appreciate looking up into the night sky and seeing thousands of stars, just like I did as a kid.   I just love how the moonlight bathes my beautiful sleeping wife in a creme colored light.   Country life is more peaceful and a lot more hard work than I would have ever expected.  While my neighbors and I may not agree politically or philosophically, my new lifestyle has given me insights on how they view the world. This brings me to my main point.   Here in rural America we simply don't have public transportation, nor do we have a lot of manufacturing or diversity or hospitals or even great education...and if we are going to move forward with a brighter greener future that we all want then we canno