Skip to main content

Chomping at the bit. I really can't wait for spring

Suddenly it's spring!!!

 Actually, it's not but with temperatures in the high 40's (7 t0 9 C) it's certainly feeling like it.  We even hit a few days were it was 68 and 70 degrees (20 - 21 C).  The grass is starting to change from its winter brown to a lush and vibrant green; a few trees are even stating signs of early budding.  

However as anyone that has ever lived in Western Pennsylvania knows old man winter has at least one more trick up his sleeve and snow as late as April is a real possibility.  We can't count out the old man just yet.

If I am serious about wanting to plant a garden and work towards making this yard an edible oasis, then sometime this weekend I need to start planting seeds indoors.  That's the goal.  While we may not a proper garden this year, we have been prepping since last fall.  




It's not pretty but it's something.

Last year I think we waited too long to plant and didn't have much in the way of cross pollination, or pollination in general going on.  While we did have some tomatoes and cucumbers, which were small but delicious, we didn't have any luck with our zucchini -how is it even possible to NOT have zucchini??? - or peppers for example.

This year by starting the seeds a little earlier indoors, and have some wonderful lavender ready by the last frost to plant, those and the ever present dandelions should attract some pollinators.  Thyme, Chives and Oregano, three very common herbs, should also attract various pollinators' to the yard and I'm planting more than we could possibly use for that reason alone.  These plants have a reputation as a natural deer repellent as well. 

We are still planning on doing a container garden but eventually we will move the herbs to a dedicated spot all their own.  

The Sunchokes will hopefully bloom as well although I know very little about the care of this, or any other particular plant and to be honest am a bit concerned about how fast they may spread.  They are a late summer blooming plant and should provide the pollinator's a nice boost of energy come the fall.

I would like to possibly buy some Mountain Mint as well, not only because of its use as a super pollinator but because it has a reputation of being a deer resistant. I'm interested in this plant for several reasons, but mostly because I feel it could be a boarder plant between the wooded areas of my property and the "living' areas.   It addition to its being edible, it generally only grows between two to three (or under a meter) tall and only about two feet wide.  Although it can spread, it tends to do so slowly.

My hope is that I can keep the deer away as much as possible while attracting beneficial insects (pollinators) to the area.  They in turn will attract spiders and other beneficial insects to keep the deer tick population in check.

However I think that will be put off till the next year as the plan is to plant two native apple trees of some sort in this year.  We have discussed planting Hydrangea's as well mostly because of their big "snowball" flowers are simply lovely and can attract pollinator's.

However every part of the Hydrangea is non edible.  This sort of defeats the whole idea of an edible landscape in my mind.


I'll be taking part in the No Mow May movement again as well as letting a part of the yard continue to run wild.  I would like to get a yard sign or two to promote conversations with my neighbors.

Living where we do we also have to consider the damage caused by deer, and they did manage to eat more strawberries last year than Sue or I did.   We are planning using a combination of tricks to fool them and hopefully keep them away from the garden this year.   Everything from lights to fishing line to chemical deer repellent is on the table.   I know that I can't keep them away, but I'm hoping to minimize the damage they do as much as possible.  

Well we never know what the future holds...I feel like I'm on the right path here.   I just need to learn more about everything.


Comments

  1. That will be a wonderful garden spot. I started my pepper and early tomato plants on Monday and have some lettuce sown in the cold frames and green house (unheated). I want to try to grow my zucchini vertically this year, maybe it will deter the squash bugs if not it will save space. I don't have deer here in town, but if we move to the lake, I am afraid they will win and have a garden smorgasbord at my expense!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for those wonderful words. I never thought about growing zucchini vertically. I'll give that some thought!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

What all the cool kids are reading.

In praise of the simple pumpkin. It has a lot of potential other than pies.

As I write this the temperature is climbing.  We have a window or two open, knowing that soon enough we will be shutting up the house for the next three months or so we can protect ourselves and our cats against the onslaught of winter.   Our wood stove burned overnight to take the chill out of the air and I found myself buying new boots and gloves and driving home with the windows down. This is the nature of autumn in Western Pennsylvania and as I sip on my pumpkin flavored coffee, I cannot help but praise the fruit of the season, and yes it is a fruit, the simple pumpkin. A few things are still growing in our garden, the last of the herbs and tomatoes...a stray pepper or two that needs to be picked.  Yet I find myself interested in growing pumpkins next year after realizing their potential and that they are high in nutritional value.   It's easy to forget in our modern world just how easy we have it as compared to our great grandparents and their grandparents....

Dopamine fix and my take on AI.

When I sat down at the computer recently to type all of this out,  I let out frustrated sigh.    I had plans to release a completely different blog post long before this date but over the last two weeks or so I've done everything I could do but actually work on the yard, or write, or just do anything that was constructive. When you are moving towards a dream or an idea or...well anything really, you can't break the chain.  Even if it's just 10 minutes a day working, that is constructive.    I have an addiction.  It's not to drugs or alcohol and in a way that would be a bit more excusable.   I have an addiction to dopamine .    Dopamine simply is a chemical in your brain that makes you feel good, and it in turn unleashes other "pleasure" chemicals in your brain.  In my case it a program called Second Life,  (SL) which honestly, I used to be on all the time in the early 2000's.  It's hard to explain but the term multius...

A sense of time in place - traveling in Central PA

One of the first items that Sue and I bought as a couple all those years ago was a grandfather clock.  We used to snuggle under the blanket and listen to the chimes on the hour, the sound filling our house with a warmth and resonance.   That clock is nothing special, being simple in its design and technology.  It's accurate because of the beauty of physics and math...and is a lost art form in its own right. I thought a lot about time and place as we traveled this week.  I thought a lot about place.   Sue and I finally took a brief vacation recently.  Due to circumstances beyond our control, every plan we had made to get away earlier in the year came to naught.  My father became ill and ended up in the hospital which we decided to stay home "just in case."  He ended up in the hospital at least three times this past year, and I decided to spend what time I could with him. Family, after all, is what brought us back to Pennsylvania. We had p...