Skip to main content

Another Trendy Post - Plant based crab???

If you have been following this blog, or our Facebook page, for a while, then you know that I'm trying to eat healthier not only for my health, but for the health of the planet as well.   I believe that we have a moral obligation to do so.

The whole reason behind this "Trendy" series is to introduce you, the gentle reader; to something you may not be familiar with...in the hope that you'll try it.   So when I buy a "plant based meat" I'm really not that interested if it tastes like chicken or steak.  I won't lie, it helps, but for the most part I'm concerned about three things.

1)  Is it healthy?

 If I am being completely honest with myself it's probably not.  Any time you buy a prepackaged meal it's most likely going to be highly processed and preserved food we're buying and as such may contain a variety of chemicals and preservatives.

It's not something I've grown and made myself.  Thanks to advertising companies and their need to make a quick buck, I would not be surprised if I come across a package that says "Plant based Salad."

So paying attention to the nutrition label and ingredient list is a must as well as being able to read the nutrition label correctly.  Generally speaking the longer and more chemical sounding the ingredient list is, the more processed it is.


For example let’s look at the Impossible Whopper.  When it was first introduced in July 2016 it was billed as a healthier alternative to Burger Kings traditional Whopper, but when you examined the nutritional content of both; the Impossible Whopper contained 630 calories (half from fat), 34 grams of fat, and 25 grams of protein. 

The original Whopper contained 660 calories (more than half of them coming from fat), 40 grams of fat, and 28 grams of protein. 

The Impossible Whopper did have significantly lower cholesterol reading — 10 milligrams compared to 90 milligrams — but had significantly more sodium at 1,240 milligrams compared to 980 milligrams.  

Despite being plant based, the Impossible Whopper was not a healthier choice and could even be considered the less desirable choice if you are concerned about salt intake for example.  Speaking as a guy that needs to watch his salt intake neither is a great choice. 

Neither of these burgers is a good choice.   I've walked away from a few items because they were not healthy despite being "plant based."  I can’t stress understanding the nutrition label and what the item is made of enough.

2)  How is its texture?

It may sound a little weird but picture your favorite food.  Put how it tastes out of your mind and concentrate on the texture.  Is that food soft?  Hard?  Does it melt in your mouth?  Does it crunch?

How something "feels" as we it is very important and often an over looked item.  A lot of plant based meats in my opinion try to replace the taste of the item, and forget about how something "feels" in your mouth.  

I’ve found that smaller more independent food companies due this better than bigger companies trying to cash in on the “plant based” trend.

3)  Finally, how does it taste?

For me, it doesn't have to taste like a crab cake or a chicken nugget.  If it reminds of it, that's just an extra point in its favor.  I'm more interested in it tasting good than I am any product's ability to reproduce the flavor of meat.  

I feel that the move towards having something "taste like meat" is more a move driven in the boardroom than the kitchen.  I think a lot of the backlash experienced by "meat substitutes" has been driven by the feeling that these products are trying to replace meat.  Which then entered the realm of the political but we're not getting into that today.

So as I was eating the Good Catch Company's plant based breaded crab cakes, I kept all of these things in the back of my mind.  Because I can honestly say that I have mixed, but overall good feelings about this particular item.  


Let's start with value overall, in this particular case you get four crab cakes in a box and a serving size is two crab cakes.   Each serving size has 15 grams of protein, 11 grams of total fat only which 1 gram is saturated fat and 0 grams of Trans fat.   Zero cholesterol.  It's high in iron at 2.6 milligrams.

 

Nor are there any added sugars and are only 220 calories per serving.

There is nothing in the ingredient list that should set off an alarm, although this product does contain soy and wheat products.  It is certified vegan and contains no GMO's.  Even the packaging in 100% recycled. 

So overall I would say this seems pretty healthy to me and even compares somewhat well to traditional crab meat nutritionally, although I do wish the salt content was lower.  Hell, when I cut into the crab cake I could actually see the green and red bell peppers that were part of the ingredient list which was a wonderful surprise.  So far, so good.


Texture wise is a mixed bag.  I love seafood and normally when I have crab cakes they seem a bit denser than these.  Crab also has a more flaky texture to the meat.  These “crab cakes” seem somewhat lighter and don’t flake as much.    It’s not a bad thing; it’s just not what I personally would call a crab cake.

Crab also doesn’t have much of a fishy taste or smell, and these certainly don’t have that either, at times you get a hint of crab cake taste which is wonderful but it is just hints at it.  Crab is such a delicate flavor that I’m not sure how you could reproduce it, but Good Catch does a very good job of it. 

There is just something missing from it?   I’m not sure what it is, or even if I can describe it.  I air fried all 4 crab cakes and they do list instructions on pan frying and baking them in an oven.  Traditionally I’ve had them pan fried, so that may be what I was missing?

Maybe because I enjoy seafood I was looking for more than just a hint of the crab taste?

Would I buy them again?   Probably, however I was doing a little research on them it was suggested that they be served more as an appetizer than part of a formal meal.  That makes sense to me because two 4 ounce cakes are not going to be a meal by itself.

Overall though I’m pretty pleased with the product and the company and I’ll probably try something else from them soon.

Comments

What all the cool kids are reading.

In praise of the simple pumpkin. It has a lot of potential other than pies.

As I write this the temperature is climbing.  We have a window or two open, knowing that soon enough we will be shutting up the house for the next three months or so we can protect ourselves and our cats against the onslaught of winter.   Our wood stove burned overnight to take the chill out of the air and I found myself buying new boots and gloves and driving home with the windows down. This is the nature of autumn in Western Pennsylvania and as I sip on my pumpkin flavored coffee, I cannot help but praise the fruit of the season, and yes it is a fruit, the simple pumpkin. A few things are still growing in our garden, the last of the herbs and tomatoes...a stray pepper or two that needs to be picked.  Yet I find myself interested in growing pumpkins next year after realizing their potential and that they are high in nutritional value.   It's easy to forget in our modern world just how easy we have it as compared to our great grandparents and their grandparents....

Dopamine fix and my take on AI.

When I sat down at the computer recently to type all of this out,  I let out frustrated sigh.    I had plans to release a completely different blog post long before this date but over the last two weeks or so I've done everything I could do but actually work on the yard, or write, or just do anything that was constructive. When you are moving towards a dream or an idea or...well anything really, you can't break the chain.  Even if it's just 10 minutes a day working, that is constructive.    I have an addiction.  It's not to drugs or alcohol and in a way that would be a bit more excusable.   I have an addiction to dopamine .    Dopamine simply is a chemical in your brain that makes you feel good, and it in turn unleashes other "pleasure" chemicals in your brain.  In my case it a program called Second Life,  (SL) which honestly, I used to be on all the time in the early 2000's.  It's hard to explain but the term multius...

A sense of time in place - traveling in Central PA

One of the first items that Sue and I bought as a couple all those years ago was a grandfather clock.  We used to snuggle under the blanket and listen to the chimes on the hour, the sound filling our house with a warmth and resonance.   That clock is nothing special, being simple in its design and technology.  It's accurate because of the beauty of physics and math...and is a lost art form in its own right. I thought a lot about time and place as we traveled this week.  I thought a lot about place.   Sue and I finally took a brief vacation recently.  Due to circumstances beyond our control, every plan we had made to get away earlier in the year came to naught.  My father became ill and ended up in the hospital which we decided to stay home "just in case."  He ended up in the hospital at least three times this past year, and I decided to spend what time I could with him. Family, after all, is what brought us back to Pennsylvania. We had p...