Skip to main content

A return to being "Trendy." Looking at Jack and Annie's Chicken nuggets


I had a health scare that started me down the Meatless Monday path.  It scared me enough to look at my diet and determine what I had to change.  While I figured a plant based diet was good for my health, the more I learned; the more I realized it was better for the planet too.  I became a bigger environmentalist than I was previously. 

However, I am a realist and know that most of us are not going to go vegan or vegetarian.  We are to set in our ways and that the beef and dairy industries are just to powerful; that we are just happy having that good steak.  

We all know that somehow we have to change.  We all know we have to start somewhere.

Going meatless at least one day a week is what got me started on a healthier path, although I do try to eat vegan/vegetarian at least one meal everyday currently.  No, I'm not giving up chicken or steak but I've cut back, and that helps in some small, small way.

You and I maybe "spitting in the ocean" but anything we do to help the environment is never a bad thing.  So with all that in mind I thought I would bring back my "Trendy" series.  Where I did little reviews of plant based items that I was able to find in my area.  

The whole idea behind the "Trendy" series is to get you, gentle reader, to try something different.  Something that you might enjoy and something that, will hopefully, help your health and the health of the planet in the long run.

Today I look at Jack and Annie's "chicken" nuggets.  They are a vegan product made from Jackfruit.  Now if your not familiar with the wonders of Jackfruit then haul your ass down to the nearest Asian market and pick your self up this amazing fruit. 

Jackfruit can weigh between 40 to 100 pounds and it's flesh often takes on the flavor of what ever sauces it's mixed with.  Although if you do eat it alone it has a sweet taste and due to it's fibrous nature reminds me of eating a banana or pineapple.   When Jackfruit is young or "green" it has a more neutral flavor and that allows it to be manipulated easily, taking on the flavors of what ever it's mixed with.  Because of it's fibrous nature and it's ability to take on other flavors it is often used as a meat substitute.  

I was a fan of Jackfruit the first time I tried it, well before I started down the path I'm on.  

So when I found "Chicken nuggets" made from this lovely fruit, I just knew I would have to try them.  As I opened the packet I was struck by how much they looked and felt like a traditional chicken nugget.  They were firm to the touch.   I also appreciated the fact that Jackfruit is the main ingredient here.  Sometimes, and it doesn't matter what the product is, the main ingredient's are chemicals and filler.  Not here.

So far, so good.   There is a variety of ways you can make them as well and I opted to try them two different ways.  First in the air fryer, then the next day in the oven.  

Again I was impressed as the nuggets came out nice and golden brown.  They stayed firm and didn't have a "mushy" texture like some plant based products have.  The taste?

Well they taste and look like a traditional chicken nugget.  They are juicy and have a satisfying bite to them. I've no doubt that you could put these in front of a kid and they would never tell the difference.    The next day I made the remaining nuggets in the oven and found them to be a little crispier then the ones made in the air fryer and that only improved the taste and experience overall.

The "chicken" taste is not strong, but it's there.  

Overall I would say that this is a great product to start your "meatless" diet with.  Jackfruit doesn't contain a lot of protein but it does have a lot of other benefits and is high in needed vitamins and minerals and is diverse enough that it can be made into "BBQ" sandwich's, taco's, pot roasts and curries.

Or just munch down on it raw.  That's what I like to do.



Comments

What all the cool kids are reading.

In praise of the simple pumpkin. It has a lot of potential other than pies.

As I write this the temperature is climbing.  We have a window or two open, knowing that soon enough we will be shutting up the house for the next three months or so we can protect ourselves and our cats against the onslaught of winter.   Our wood stove burned overnight to take the chill out of the air and I found myself buying new boots and gloves and driving home with the windows down. This is the nature of autumn in Western Pennsylvania and as I sip on my pumpkin flavored coffee, I cannot help but praise the fruit of the season, and yes it is a fruit, the simple pumpkin. A few things are still growing in our garden, the last of the herbs and tomatoes...a stray pepper or two that needs to be picked.  Yet I find myself interested in growing pumpkins next year after realizing their potential and that they are high in nutritional value.   It's easy to forget in our modern world just how easy we have it as compared to our great grandparents and their grandparents....

Dopamine fix and my take on AI.

When I sat down at the computer recently to type all of this out,  I let out frustrated sigh.    I had plans to release a completely different blog post long before this date but over the last two weeks or so I've done everything I could do but actually work on the yard, or write, or just do anything that was constructive. When you are moving towards a dream or an idea or...well anything really, you can't break the chain.  Even if it's just 10 minutes a day working, that is constructive.    I have an addiction.  It's not to drugs or alcohol and in a way that would be a bit more excusable.   I have an addiction to dopamine .    Dopamine simply is a chemical in your brain that makes you feel good, and it in turn unleashes other "pleasure" chemicals in your brain.  In my case it a program called Second Life,  (SL) which honestly, I used to be on all the time in the early 2000's.  It's hard to explain but the term multius...

A sense of time in place - traveling in Central PA

One of the first items that Sue and I bought as a couple all those years ago was a grandfather clock.  We used to snuggle under the blanket and listen to the chimes on the hour, the sound filling our house with a warmth and resonance.   That clock is nothing special, being simple in its design and technology.  It's accurate because of the beauty of physics and math...and is a lost art form in its own right. I thought a lot about time and place as we traveled this week.  I thought a lot about place.   Sue and I finally took a brief vacation recently.  Due to circumstances beyond our control, every plan we had made to get away earlier in the year came to naught.  My father became ill and ended up in the hospital which we decided to stay home "just in case."  He ended up in the hospital at least three times this past year, and I decided to spend what time I could with him. Family, after all, is what brought us back to Pennsylvania. We had p...