Skip to main content

Spitting in the ocean.

     At the age of 56, it occurs to me that I have roughly 30 years left in my life give or take a few.  I've (sadly) never had kids.  So in some ways my newly found environmentalism might be my way of leaving some sort of lasting legacy?

    I honestly don't know.   I'm no dummy, I know that what ever I do is spitting into the ocean.  However I also feel that not doing anything is morally bankrupt.  You can make a difference in one persons life, even though you may never see that outcome.  


    For whatever reason I've been coming across a lot of info on No Mow May - which is a simple idea to let your lawn grow wild during the month of May, allowing bees and other pollinators to do their thing and help re-establish a needed but diminishing species.  I let part of my yard "go wild" last year and I'm planning on letting the same parcel go wild this year. 

    Only I'm planning on never mowing that parcel of land again.  I'm going to let it be absorbed back into the woods it came from.

    It's also one of the reasons that I'm planting native flowers and trees.  I'm debating if I want to plant one or two fruit trees like the Granny Smith Apple (overall its the apple with the highest nutrition levels - and I like the idea of some future forager finding it).  I prefer to plant the dwarf apples, because they would fruit within two or three years and I want to pick an apple from a tree that I planted.  I don't want to wait the six or seven it can take a tree to mature.  I'm not that patient a man.

    My glacially slow evolution towards a vegetarian diet continues, although that's going to be an uphill battle.   The local supermarkets do not seem to offer much in the way of variety and Sue does not seem interested my making vegan/vegetarian dishes.  I have little to no interest in learning to cook. 

    So I eat what I can, where and when I can in the hope of doing my small part to reduce the impact of meat consumption.  Again, I am spitting into the ocean.  Still though, I feel it's important to do my little bit where and when I can. 

     I find a lot of per-packaged foods, even though they are "meat free" are high in salt.  It's a common preservative but when you have heart disease running in your family like I do...you want to avoid salt.  

    Earlier I was doing a "taste test" series, I'm half tempted to return to it because if I can influence one person to try something new or encourage them along that path.   I should do that.   

    Our home improvement projects, replacing the windows and updating our kitchen will help in reducing our electric bill, saving energy and water.  Yes, it's costly in the short term, but again I'm looking long term.  That's the only way to look at things today.

    I've always been interested in Science, earning my degree in Science Education and Biology.  I fell in love with philosophy in college and have always maintained the study of it.  I was always concerned about the environment but it's only now, in my later years, that I am actually taking it "seriously."   I just hope it's not to late.  Although I know it is to late, but I'm spitting into the ocean anyway.

    Morally I feel it's my duty to spit into the ocean and leave this world a little better than it is.  I would rather have a little hope than accept that "Everything is fine" while the room burns down around me.


    The choice, of course, is always up to you.  Do you spit into the ocean?  Or let the rip tide take you under?

Comments

What all the cool kids are reading.

In praise of the simple pumpkin. It has a lot of potential other than pies.

As I write this the temperature is climbing.  We have a window or two open, knowing that soon enough we will be shutting up the house for the next three months or so we can protect ourselves and our cats against the onslaught of winter.   Our wood stove burned overnight to take the chill out of the air and I found myself buying new boots and gloves and driving home with the windows down. This is the nature of autumn in Western Pennsylvania and as I sip on my pumpkin flavored coffee, I cannot help but praise the fruit of the season, and yes it is a fruit, the simple pumpkin. A few things are still growing in our garden, the last of the herbs and tomatoes...a stray pepper or two that needs to be picked.  Yet I find myself interested in growing pumpkins next year after realizing their potential and that they are high in nutritional value.   It's easy to forget in our modern world just how easy we have it as compared to our great grandparents and their grandparents....

Dopamine fix and my take on AI.

When I sat down at the computer recently to type all of this out,  I let out frustrated sigh.    I had plans to release a completely different blog post long before this date but over the last two weeks or so I've done everything I could do but actually work on the yard, or write, or just do anything that was constructive. When you are moving towards a dream or an idea or...well anything really, you can't break the chain.  Even if it's just 10 minutes a day working, that is constructive.    I have an addiction.  It's not to drugs or alcohol and in a way that would be a bit more excusable.   I have an addiction to dopamine .    Dopamine simply is a chemical in your brain that makes you feel good, and it in turn unleashes other "pleasure" chemicals in your brain.  In my case it a program called Second Life,  (SL) which honestly, I used to be on all the time in the early 2000's.  It's hard to explain but the term multius...

Rain and tears and those damned deer. Gardening can be painful.

“ None of us understand what we're doing, but we do beautiful things anyway.” ― Allen Ginsberg   The weatherman stated that we have not had any significant rainfall in over two weeks.  Nor did he see any relief in site. We are not in drought conditions yet, we are just unusually dry.  Interestingly enough, Pennsylvania should be getting warmer and wetter in the future if the climate models hold true.  If we narrow that down even more to my home town , the picture becomes even more interesting.   Solar Punk Pittsburgh For now though, I was worried about my garden.   It is not that big, I basically have a variety of containers around where I am maintaining lettuce, leeks, tomato's, peppers, strawberries, grapes, sunchokes (which I was really interested in growing) and a few other things.     Every garden needs to be watered and I played around with the idea of a r ain water collection systems before, we even had a simple one i...