Skip to main content

So...permaculture and some other related stuff

          When I attended Slippery Rock University, which as luck would have it is south of where I currently live, I had a professor who taught Philosophy named Robert A. Macoskey.  He influenced me in a lot of ways; not the least of which was giving me a lifelong love of Philosophy, which I often credit as allowing me to succeed in nearly everything I’ve done in my life; because once you learn to think clearly and logically, you can do anything.  

            He was very interested in Sustainable Architecture and permaculture, or “Permanent Agriculture” which would influence me even today although not in the ways I expected.    Permacutlture defined is “The development of agricultural ecosystems intended to be sustainable and self sufficient.”   Or to put it another way, “live with nature” or “sustainability.”   

        Today the Robert A Macoskey Center stands in his memory.   This center sits on 83 acres and is dedicated to teaching and promoting sustainable living practices, many of SRU’s majors involve some study at the center even today.

            Think of sustainability this way, you have a orchard full of fruit trees.   Now around those fruit trees are various plants and grasses and weeds (defined by the way as any undesirable plant – so that rose growing in your fruit orchard is technically a weed).   You could spend a lot of money on weed killers and mowers to keep the other plants in check.  Not only are you spending money on chemicals and gasoline, but also in man hours, just to kill some weeds that are sucking up the nutrients in the soil that your trees need.  Or you could do what nature would do.

            You send in the goats.    These small herbivores eat the grass and shrubs that are crowding out trees.   The goats also help the trees in another way…they poop.    You are now fertilizing the trees. 

            Once the goats and other smaller herbivores have eaten the grass and shrubs the bigger herbivores move in, this would have been buffalo back in the day but today are more likely to be cows.    They eat what the smaller herbivores miss.   They also poop, helping to fertilize your trees.

            Now with all that shit on the ground which is going to attract bugs.  So instead of having to spend money on pesticides and man hours spraying the pesticide, you can send in the chickens.   Chickens are omnivores meaning they eat grass and bugs and God knows what else.   Again, they shit and helps fertilize the trees even more.

            Now here is the benefit to you, the fruit tree farmer.   Not only do you have money coming in from your lovely award winning fruits, but you also saved money BY not spending a shitload of cash on chemicals, fertilizers and man hours.    You also created extra sources of revenue, for the goats and cows could be slaughtered for meat, milked or use that milk to make cheese.   You have income from both the eggs, goat and chicken meat.[i]

     

       Your system is pretty much closed and self sufficient.    The “circle of life” continues.    Now of course I’m oversimplifying it.    However something like this system was used for hundreds, if not thousands, of years by countless farmers on all the continents.   You live very close to the land and you begin to realize how everything is interconnected.

            Somehow, somewhere we got away from that simple form of production.  The reasons for it are complex…and are simply not sustainable, as the various environmental issues we face today clearly show.  

            Sustainable architecture is the idea that you can either use various materials to reduce the environmental impact of your building, or design it in such a way that it uses nature in some way to generate power.    For example, through the use of solar panels, wind turbines or other methods, and again I’m simplifying the issue.  These were things that I intended to look into at a later date as well.

            Being a lazy city boy I never really got into growing my veggies indoor; although Sue did grow an odd pepper or two and some tomatoes on our porch in Florida.  The few gardens that we had growing up were not really that successful and there always seemed that there was something better to do with my time; like play on the computer.   Pardon the pun, but the seed of permaculture and self sufficiency were planted by an old Philosophy professor and a British TV comedy that I used to watch on PBS called The Good Life or the alternative name Good Neighbors that was broadcast somewhere in the mid 80’s on the local PBS stations.   The show dealt with the exact ideas we are talking about here, just in a comedic fashion. [ii]

        For some reason…that seed was starting to germinate after being planted in my head a long time ago and had been dormant so for some time.  Now that the pandemic hit the news was full of people getting chickens, or buying freezers or even growing their own food, that seed had taken root. 

            I am, in a small way, part of that trend.   The two acres we had was largely wooded and although there were spaces for some gardens we wanted to try and keep it small.  There was only the two of us and we no reason to plant twenty tomato plants for example.  

        No, I was not going fully into a homesteading mode.  However the concept of being more self sufficient did appeal to me.   It meant that I had to learn new tasks.  It meant actually getting off my ass and doing something.    

        If you’re going to try and change your life, why not jump in with both feet? 

 


[i] This example is taken (more or less) directly from “The Year of the Cow:  How 420 pounds of Beef built a better life for one American family” by Jared Stone

 

Comments

What all the cool kids are reading.

In praise of the simple pumpkin. It has a lot of potential other than pies.

As I write this the temperature is climbing.  We have a window or two open, knowing that soon enough we will be shutting up the house for the next three months or so we can protect ourselves and our cats against the onslaught of winter.   Our wood stove burned overnight to take the chill out of the air and I found myself buying new boots and gloves and driving home with the windows down. This is the nature of autumn in Western Pennsylvania and as I sip on my pumpkin flavored coffee, I cannot help but praise the fruit of the season, and yes it is a fruit, the simple pumpkin. A few things are still growing in our garden, the last of the herbs and tomatoes...a stray pepper or two that needs to be picked.  Yet I find myself interested in growing pumpkins next year after realizing their potential and that they are high in nutritional value.   It's easy to forget in our modern world just how easy we have it as compared to our great grandparents and their grandparents....

Dopamine fix and my take on AI.

When I sat down at the computer recently to type all of this out,  I let out frustrated sigh.    I had plans to release a completely different blog post long before this date but over the last two weeks or so I've done everything I could do but actually work on the yard, or write, or just do anything that was constructive. When you are moving towards a dream or an idea or...well anything really, you can't break the chain.  Even if it's just 10 minutes a day working, that is constructive.    I have an addiction.  It's not to drugs or alcohol and in a way that would be a bit more excusable.   I have an addiction to dopamine .    Dopamine simply is a chemical in your brain that makes you feel good, and it in turn unleashes other "pleasure" chemicals in your brain.  In my case it a program called Second Life,  (SL) which honestly, I used to be on all the time in the early 2000's.  It's hard to explain but the term multius...

Rain and tears and those damned deer. Gardening can be painful.

“ None of us understand what we're doing, but we do beautiful things anyway.” ― Allen Ginsberg   The weatherman stated that we have not had any significant rainfall in over two weeks.  Nor did he see any relief in site. We are not in drought conditions yet, we are just unusually dry.  Interestingly enough, Pennsylvania should be getting warmer and wetter in the future if the climate models hold true.  If we narrow that down even more to my home town , the picture becomes even more interesting.   Solar Punk Pittsburgh For now though, I was worried about my garden.   It is not that big, I basically have a variety of containers around where I am maintaining lettuce, leeks, tomato's, peppers, strawberries, grapes, sunchokes (which I was really interested in growing) and a few other things.     Every garden needs to be watered and I played around with the idea of a r ain water collection systems before, we even had a simple one i...