Skip to main content

Golden days of yore

Suddenly, it's October.

Actually, scratch that.  Suddenly it's mid October. 


Frankly time has passed me by quickly this month.  Nor do I have much to share.  We are still in a holding pattern over our home improvements, and I have just learned that our builder has come down with COVID.   So our plans are put off a bit longer. 

I would rather have this work done sooner than later because October is a bipolar month.  It's full of sunshine and warm days only to shift to cold nights and rainy weather, here in Stonoboro there is even the possibility of snow flurries in the coming days. 

It is not something I'm looking forward to. 

For now however I'm finding joy in leaf peeping.  I'm enjoying stepping out on my porch during a break and letting the sun warm my face.  I'm enjoying the taste of homemade eggnog and the fact that my yard has taken on the appearance of a rich Persian rug.  

 


Susan is baking fresh bread and an apple pie.  I relax with a hot cider.

Fall has its own joys and wonders.

As we transition from one season to the next I find myself without much to do.  I am NOT going to rake the leaves and other than one more, perhaps two, runs with the lawn mower my yard work for the year is done.   At least till it's time to shovel snow.

So I'm enjoying the time that I have.  I'm enjoying the cooler weather and taking in the view. I'm at peace.  

Taken at a lake near my own.  Photo is not mine.

 We already have a plan for how to set up our container garden next year, and it will be a little more protected from the deer that wonder through our yard next spring.  It will be a little bigger too.   

The only question that I have is do I want to plant more than two trees next year?  I am thinking at least two apple trees and I would love to put a grapevine in as well.  But I don't want to get ahead of myself.  It's easy to do and I often bite off more than I can chew.

I am also not sure where I want this blog to go. Things have changed in my life pretty drastically over the last two years.

1)  I took up cheese making and cooking, more to keep me busy during the long winter months and I long to return to some of it.   

2)  My diet changed and I find myself eating more vegetarian and vegan dishes than I would have ever thought possible.  This was mostly due to health and diet concerns but I found I affected the environment too in small ways that surprised me. 

3)  Those changes lead to me to explore how I could make additional little changes and how those little changes affected the environment around me; around all of us.  We are not going to "save the Earth."  The Earth will be fine without us.  We have to try and make the Earth habitual for our species. That is where we are failing.

I may end this blog by the New Year.   I'm simply not getting the readership I want, and frankly for me to get back up into the numbers that I used to have (500 to 600 people per blog post) I have to change the very nature of this endeavor.  I am not sure if I want to put in that effort.  Times have changed as well.


Today to be successful you need Tic Tok, Instagram, You Tube and other video platforms.  I have neither the interest or time to pursue those.  I am also more interested in telling personal stories than I am in trying to influence anyone.  Although I do hope that I've influenced someone somewhere somehow.  I find myself more ready to retire and become a "gentleman farmer" more than anything.  

That sounds like a plan to me.   Well I don't think I am "quitting"; I do think that I'm not going to try and blog every week moving forward.   I'm just not sure what I want to do yet.  I'll figure it out, we always do.


Comments

What all the cool kids are reading.

Maybe we need to rethink invasive species???

Hi. As the writer of the post and feel that I need to clarify something. I do not advocate the planting of invasive species. The point that I'm trying to make, and clearly didn't, is that perhaps we should be thinking about an invasive species in a different light. Apples, figs and other crops are clearly non native to America and Europe but are widely cultivated because they have use to humans as a food source, animal feed, etc. Kudzu is an edible plant and although it is clearly harmful can it be used someway by humans? It's a food source, it's been used as a cloth and is showing some use as a building material. All I'm trying to do is to create discussion on how we can use invasive plants in new ways.   It's mid April here in Western Pennsylvania and so far it's been warm and wet.  The buzz of lawnmowers fill the air as I gallivant through my back yard collecting dandelions to make some tea and bread with them.  I had always known that they w

Why didn't Erie, PA develop into a bigger city?

          Recently I had to travel up to Erie, PA for business.   It's about an hour north of me and is a rather small city, having just under 100 thousand people living in it.   It played an important role in the founding of America,  - where it was the headquarters for Oliver Perry's flagship Niagara during the battle of Like Erie in the war of 1812 .            It was also a important shipping center, being Pennsylvania's only access to the Great Lakes which was the easiest way to trade with parts of Canada at the time as well as move goods to the cities of Detroit and Chicago, which in the mid to early 1800's were just starting to develop.  It was also directly north from Pittsburgh which was a major industrial city at that time.     Yet Erie never really grew beyond it's humble beginnings and I wondered why.   Like any good sleuth I turned to the internet where I found mostly wrong answers.    Many people thought the port of Erie was to shallow to handle most

Don't leave the rural areas behind.

This blog was started because I had lived most of my life as an urban dweller; I wanted to record my adventures as I tried my hands at different things and I never pictured this blog would become what it did. Country life suits me in some ways.   I'm at a point in my life where I can appreciate looking up into the night sky and seeing thousands of stars, just like I did as a kid.   I just love how the moonlight bathes my beautiful sleeping wife in a creme colored light.   Country life is more peaceful and a lot more hard work than I would have ever expected.  While my neighbors and I may not agree politically or philosophically, my new lifestyle has given me insights on how they view the world. This brings me to my main point.   Here in rural America we simply don't have public transportation, nor do we have a lot of manufacturing or diversity or hospitals or even great education...and if we are going to move forward with a brighter greener future that we all want then we canno