Skip to main content

Golden days of yore

Suddenly, it's October.

Actually, scratch that.  Suddenly it's mid October. 


Frankly time has passed me by quickly this month.  Nor do I have much to share.  We are still in a holding pattern over our home improvements, and I have just learned that our builder has come down with COVID.   So our plans are put off a bit longer. 

I would rather have this work done sooner than later because October is a bipolar month.  It's full of sunshine and warm days only to shift to cold nights and rainy weather, here in Stonoboro there is even the possibility of snow flurries in the coming days. 

It is not something I'm looking forward to. 

For now however I'm finding joy in leaf peeping.  I'm enjoying stepping out on my porch during a break and letting the sun warm my face.  I'm enjoying the taste of homemade eggnog and the fact that my yard has taken on the appearance of a rich Persian rug.  

 


Susan is baking fresh bread and an apple pie.  I relax with a hot cider.

Fall has its own joys and wonders.

As we transition from one season to the next I find myself without much to do.  I am NOT going to rake the leaves and other than one more, perhaps two, runs with the lawn mower my yard work for the year is done.   At least till it's time to shovel snow.

So I'm enjoying the time that I have.  I'm enjoying the cooler weather and taking in the view. I'm at peace.  

Taken at a lake near my own.  Photo is not mine.

 We already have a plan for how to set up our container garden next year, and it will be a little more protected from the deer that wonder through our yard next spring.  It will be a little bigger too.   

The only question that I have is do I want to plant more than two trees next year?  I am thinking at least two apple trees and I would love to put a grapevine in as well.  But I don't want to get ahead of myself.  It's easy to do and I often bite off more than I can chew.

I am also not sure where I want this blog to go. Things have changed in my life pretty drastically over the last two years.

1)  I took up cheese making and cooking, more to keep me busy during the long winter months and I long to return to some of it.   

2)  My diet changed and I find myself eating more vegetarian and vegan dishes than I would have ever thought possible.  This was mostly due to health and diet concerns but I found I affected the environment too in small ways that surprised me. 

3)  Those changes lead to me to explore how I could make additional little changes and how those little changes affected the environment around me; around all of us.  We are not going to "save the Earth."  The Earth will be fine without us.  We have to try and make the Earth habitual for our species. That is where we are failing.

I may end this blog by the New Year.   I'm simply not getting the readership I want, and frankly for me to get back up into the numbers that I used to have (500 to 600 people per blog post) I have to change the very nature of this endeavor.  I am not sure if I want to put in that effort.  Times have changed as well.


Today to be successful you need Tic Tok, Instagram, You Tube and other video platforms.  I have neither the interest or time to pursue those.  I am also more interested in telling personal stories than I am in trying to influence anyone.  Although I do hope that I've influenced someone somewhere somehow.  I find myself more ready to retire and become a "gentleman farmer" more than anything.  

That sounds like a plan to me.   Well I don't think I am "quitting"; I do think that I'm not going to try and blog every week moving forward.   I'm just not sure what I want to do yet.  I'll figure it out, we always do.


Comments

What all the cool kids are reading.

In praise of the simple pumpkin. It has a lot of potential other than pies.

As I write this the temperature is climbing.  We have a window or two open, knowing that soon enough we will be shutting up the house for the next three months or so we can protect ourselves and our cats against the onslaught of winter.   Our wood stove burned overnight to take the chill out of the air and I found myself buying new boots and gloves and driving home with the windows down. This is the nature of autumn in Western Pennsylvania and as I sip on my pumpkin flavored coffee, I cannot help but praise the fruit of the season, and yes it is a fruit, the simple pumpkin. A few things are still growing in our garden, the last of the herbs and tomatoes...a stray pepper or two that needs to be picked.  Yet I find myself interested in growing pumpkins next year after realizing their potential and that they are high in nutritional value.   It's easy to forget in our modern world just how easy we have it as compared to our great grandparents and their grandparents....

Dopamine fix and my take on AI.

When I sat down at the computer recently to type all of this out,  I let out frustrated sigh.    I had plans to release a completely different blog post long before this date but over the last two weeks or so I've done everything I could do but actually work on the yard, or write, or just do anything that was constructive. When you are moving towards a dream or an idea or...well anything really, you can't break the chain.  Even if it's just 10 minutes a day working, that is constructive.    I have an addiction.  It's not to drugs or alcohol and in a way that would be a bit more excusable.   I have an addiction to dopamine .    Dopamine simply is a chemical in your brain that makes you feel good, and it in turn unleashes other "pleasure" chemicals in your brain.  In my case it a program called Second Life,  (SL) which honestly, I used to be on all the time in the early 2000's.  It's hard to explain but the term multius...

A sense of time in place - traveling in Central PA

One of the first items that Sue and I bought as a couple all those years ago was a grandfather clock.  We used to snuggle under the blanket and listen to the chimes on the hour, the sound filling our house with a warmth and resonance.   That clock is nothing special, being simple in its design and technology.  It's accurate because of the beauty of physics and math...and is a lost art form in its own right. I thought a lot about time and place as we traveled this week.  I thought a lot about place.   Sue and I finally took a brief vacation recently.  Due to circumstances beyond our control, every plan we had made to get away earlier in the year came to naught.  My father became ill and ended up in the hospital which we decided to stay home "just in case."  He ended up in the hospital at least three times this past year, and I decided to spend what time I could with him. Family, after all, is what brought us back to Pennsylvania. We had p...