Skip to main content

Stormy weather and Autumn adventures in the kitchen.

   This entire past weekend had been dreary.  We are in the midst of a cold front that has brought a steady soaking, cold and misting rain that soaks into you very bones.  It is a good weekend for making a good and hearty soup and other foods to warm your soul.

    While it is not cold, our high was barely above 60 F (16 C), it was cold enough at night for us to start the pellet stove to warm the house and to start thinking about soup.   It particular there was one soup that I came across that got me interested in making it.    

    Even the name of it, Brie and Cheddar Apple Beer Soup, got my mouth watering.   

    I had also came across an interesting recipe for Eggnog Cheese, and while not quite ready to tackle that (I don't have a proper press), I certainly thought that I could make my own Eggnog!  

    Eggnog is one of those things that I would drink all year round, either "leaded" or "unleaded."  Although there are a lot of different ways to make eggnog, the basic chemistry is the same for each.  Mine came out a bit to thin, but that was probably due to to me not adding the egg whites back into the nog like many recipes suggest.   However it tasted almost exactly like it would if I bought it from a store, with the exception that I added a bit more cinnamon than what the recipe called for.


    The point however, is that I would make it again and again...and will probably make it in June because I love eggnog that much!  I would also recommend doubling or even tripling the recipe if your a fan of nog.

    Somehow the idea of making a soup was still in my mind and the Brie and Cheddar Apple Beer Soup just seemed to wonderful to pass by, it went to the top of the "to make" list.   I also thought that if I going to do that, then I should try to make some paneer cheese as well after all, both recipes require milk..   It's something I've made before and figured it would be nice to help with my slow movement towards a healthier diet, where it could serve as a meat substitute.

    I've been trying to go without meat at least 1 day a week and have slowly shifted to trying to have at least one additional plant based meal per week.    

    Heart disease runs in my family and the risk of diabetes is just part of our modern lifestyle.  Since I'm to lazy to take up something like running to help me lose weight so I figured the best way for me to maintain the lifestyle I've grown accommodated to is to change up the diet.   So I've been eating a plant based burger or sausage now and again, and damn; if I've not grown to like them.  Plus being a hedonist it allows me to explore a wide variety of different dishes, textures and tastes (See my experiments with "Vegan Cheeses").

(Air fried tofu)
    Tofu however has never really interested me that much.  It always seemed just weird.   It was that spongy been curd that only hippies seemed to eat.   Then one day at the wonderful Thai restaurant in nearby Slippery Rock I gave it a try.    Yes, it was chewy...but it was also delish!   I became a fan of tofu.  So much so that it has become my go to dish when I eat there.

        Sadly my experiences with it at home have been less than successful, but that's the neat thing about being in the kitchen for me.  You may screw it up but you can always give it another try, another effort.  When I was out shopping for the ingredients for the soup, I managed to get my hand on another block and used a rather simple recipe I had come across,  baking some of it for use in a noodle soup for lunch on Meatless Monday!   While I would say that my tofu was certainly flavorful, it was a bit overpowered by the soy sauce. 

    However the day got away from me after that, and the soup that I had been wanting to make got placed on the proverbial back burner once again.   

    To be honest, I'm hoping I can get the lovely Sue to make it on her next day off.  If not, then this coming Wednesday for sure.  :)

    

Comments

What all the cool kids are reading.

In praise of the simple pumpkin. It has a lot of potential other than pies.

As I write this the temperature is climbing.  We have a window or two open, knowing that soon enough we will be shutting up the house for the next three months or so we can protect ourselves and our cats against the onslaught of winter.   Our wood stove burned overnight to take the chill out of the air and I found myself buying new boots and gloves and driving home with the windows down. This is the nature of autumn in Western Pennsylvania and as I sip on my pumpkin flavored coffee, I cannot help but praise the fruit of the season, and yes it is a fruit, the simple pumpkin. A few things are still growing in our garden, the last of the herbs and tomatoes...a stray pepper or two that needs to be picked.  Yet I find myself interested in growing pumpkins next year after realizing their potential and that they are high in nutritional value.   It's easy to forget in our modern world just how easy we have it as compared to our great grandparents and their grandparents....

Dopamine fix and my take on AI.

When I sat down at the computer recently to type all of this out,  I let out frustrated sigh.    I had plans to release a completely different blog post long before this date but over the last two weeks or so I've done everything I could do but actually work on the yard, or write, or just do anything that was constructive. When you are moving towards a dream or an idea or...well anything really, you can't break the chain.  Even if it's just 10 minutes a day working, that is constructive.    I have an addiction.  It's not to drugs or alcohol and in a way that would be a bit more excusable.   I have an addiction to dopamine .    Dopamine simply is a chemical in your brain that makes you feel good, and it in turn unleashes other "pleasure" chemicals in your brain.  In my case it a program called Second Life,  (SL) which honestly, I used to be on all the time in the early 2000's.  It's hard to explain but the term multius...

A sense of time in place - traveling in Central PA

One of the first items that Sue and I bought as a couple all those years ago was a grandfather clock.  We used to snuggle under the blanket and listen to the chimes on the hour, the sound filling our house with a warmth and resonance.   That clock is nothing special, being simple in its design and technology.  It's accurate because of the beauty of physics and math...and is a lost art form in its own right. I thought a lot about time and place as we traveled this week.  I thought a lot about place.   Sue and I finally took a brief vacation recently.  Due to circumstances beyond our control, every plan we had made to get away earlier in the year came to naught.  My father became ill and ended up in the hospital which we decided to stay home "just in case."  He ended up in the hospital at least three times this past year, and I decided to spend what time I could with him. Family, after all, is what brought us back to Pennsylvania. We had p...