Skip to main content

Wait...WHAT? Vegan "goat" cheese???

I'm not a vegan.  I'm not even a vegetarian.  

I am, for lack of a better word, "Plant based food curious."

Like most people today, I got worried about my health.  A lifetime of bacon and cheesy poofs along with the traditional American hobbies of laying around on the couch pushed me close to the diabetic  range.  Heart disease runs in my family and after seeing what my wife has gone through with her diabetes and losing my mother to a heart attack...I started to seriously think about what I could do to improve my health.  Living through a pandemic didn't help either.

The more I learned about diets and where food comes from, the more I realized that I could do lots of little things to help the planet too.  I'm proud to say that generally speaking I go at least two days out of week eating a vegan or vegetarian diet.    My interest in this type of food was sparked by my interest in cheese making, a hobby I picked up during the epidemic. 

I read about how some of the techniques used in diary cheese making (fermentation in particular) could be applied to vegan cheeses.  So with my curiosity engaged, I thought I should try a few.  I enjoyed the taste of vegan cheese for the most part, and took those lessons to heart.   I've not made cheese, either dairy or vegan lately due to the cost of milk and that the harder cheeses require a bit more time and investment than I'm willing to give them right now.  

However I love goat cheese. It's probably one of my favorite cheese and I've been dying to make goat cheese for some time.  In fact, if you look on our recipe page, you will see several dishes using goat cheese!

So finding a vegan goat cheese recipe interested me.  What would it taste like?  How would it work?  

There was only one slight problem, and I've come across this issue before.   I didn't have a particular ingredient.  In this case, it was miso paste.


Miso is one of those ingredients that I just don't think would go over well in the home.   I don't really cook despite having a love of food.  I have purchased fish oil, tapioca flour and asafetida in the past, only to find that I have little use for them in other recipes and that my wife Susan has little interest in experimenting with them.  I'm not sure if this ingredient would fall by the wayside or if I would find other uses for it like I did Tahini; which I've used in hummus, on ice cream and to make a "peanut like" sauce for noodles, and for nutritional yeast.   

I did find a Miso hummus that looks interesting and several meat dishes, so it's not like the paste would go to waste. 

Living in the rural part of Western PA, I've found that the more "exotic" ingredients often mean a trip into Pittsburgh or ordering it from an online grocer.  I didn't mind taking a ride down to one of the grocery stores closer to Pittsburgh or even to the East End Co-op to find something I need, even if I only need a small amount of it.  The East End Co-op has a great bulk selection that allows me to buy small amounts of an otherwise expensive item like beet powder or agar-agar.  

So with everything in hand...what did the final products taste like?  While the goat cheese had a slight tang to it.  Goat cheese in general does, it's not bad...but it is different, and I'm not sure I can put my finger on what it is.  Texture wise I don't think I could tell the difference between the two if given a blindfold taste test. It's something about the taste, it's not bad or all that different from goat's milk cheese...but it is slightly different.  Maybe if I had a better pallet I could give you exactly what that difference is.

The miso hummus was a bit bolder in taste than I expected.  Again it's not a bad thing, it's also a bit saltier.  One tablespoon of miso contains 420 mg of salt and that finds its way into the taste of this hummus.  That's about 18% of the daily recommend allowance.  I love garlic and that comes out nicely.  Although it's also a bit "smokey" which has to be from the miso.   It's not bad...but again not what I'm used too.

Honestly, I have to think about this one.


Comments

What all the cool kids are reading.

In praise of the simple pumpkin. It has a lot of potential other than pies.

As I write this the temperature is climbing.  We have a window or two open, knowing that soon enough we will be shutting up the house for the next three months or so we can protect ourselves and our cats against the onslaught of winter.   Our wood stove burned overnight to take the chill out of the air and I found myself buying new boots and gloves and driving home with the windows down. This is the nature of autumn in Western Pennsylvania and as I sip on my pumpkin flavored coffee, I cannot help but praise the fruit of the season, and yes it is a fruit, the simple pumpkin. A few things are still growing in our garden, the last of the herbs and tomatoes...a stray pepper or two that needs to be picked.  Yet I find myself interested in growing pumpkins next year after realizing their potential and that they are high in nutritional value.   It's easy to forget in our modern world just how easy we have it as compared to our great grandparents and their grandparents....

Dopamine fix and my take on AI.

When I sat down at the computer recently to type all of this out,  I let out frustrated sigh.    I had plans to release a completely different blog post long before this date but over the last two weeks or so I've done everything I could do but actually work on the yard, or write, or just do anything that was constructive. When you are moving towards a dream or an idea or...well anything really, you can't break the chain.  Even if it's just 10 minutes a day working, that is constructive.    I have an addiction.  It's not to drugs or alcohol and in a way that would be a bit more excusable.   I have an addiction to dopamine .    Dopamine simply is a chemical in your brain that makes you feel good, and it in turn unleashes other "pleasure" chemicals in your brain.  In my case it a program called Second Life,  (SL) which honestly, I used to be on all the time in the early 2000's.  It's hard to explain but the term multius...

A sense of time in place - traveling in Central PA

One of the first items that Sue and I bought as a couple all those years ago was a grandfather clock.  We used to snuggle under the blanket and listen to the chimes on the hour, the sound filling our house with a warmth and resonance.   That clock is nothing special, being simple in its design and technology.  It's accurate because of the beauty of physics and math...and is a lost art form in its own right. I thought a lot about time and place as we traveled this week.  I thought a lot about place.   Sue and I finally took a brief vacation recently.  Due to circumstances beyond our control, every plan we had made to get away earlier in the year came to naught.  My father became ill and ended up in the hospital which we decided to stay home "just in case."  He ended up in the hospital at least three times this past year, and I decided to spend what time I could with him. Family, after all, is what brought us back to Pennsylvania. We had p...