Skip to main content

Should I let this blog die? What do I want out of this blog? What do you want?

     I've been wondering of late if I should put this blog to rest.  

    It's been over a year and I'm nowhere near the audience that I've had in the past with other blogs.  Of course, those were a bit more focused.   In the past I wrote about Second and Third Tier soccer in the states, during a time when information about that level of play was hard to come by.   I wrote about communities in virtual reality pioneer Second Life and I wrote about my adventures on a motorcycle.

   

Myself and my Mom on back

All of those blogs had a few thousand readers, and one of the greatest joys in my life was when I was recognized in a bar for my work with the now defunct and fan driven A-league.com (USL soccer) website.   I'm lucky if I break a few hundred hits here on any one piece. 

    Of course, this blog is unfocused.  I'm trying to cover a lot of ground here...and there is a lot of stuff going on in the back ground that I've not discussed. 

    I've also stopped advertising the blog to a great extent.   Getting the word out so people can read your words is just something you have to do.   I used to post to a great extent to the various groups on reddit and Facebook.   You can use hash tags and SEO as well to help drive traffic.  The main reason why I have stopped advertising in groups is that if you advertise to much; you can be accused of spamming and that leads to getting blocked or removed from a group; even if it is a non profit blog.

   


    Or do I bite the bullet and accept that my little hobby needs to become a second job for me and fight my way into an already crowded field by paying for advertising and focusing on only 1 thing that may or may not interest me...but would interest others? 

    The other thing to consider is my enjoyment.  Way back in the late 90's and early "naught's", websites were screaming for content and it was relatively easy to bang out 300 - 1500 words on a subject and get paid either in cold hard cash or in merchandise; I did a review of a motorcycle tank bag for example and was able to keep the item as well as get tickets to the MLS Championship held in Columbus, Ohio. 

    It became a job however...and what ever joy I got from putting my thoughts and feelings out into the world dissipated.   Still though, I was able to do something that many writers have been unable to do.  Actually get paid for their work.

    At this moment in my life I'm interested more in giving advice about what I know, mostly financial advice, and exploring what I don't know.  For example I didn't know much about generator's when I was searching for one but I learned a lot.  

    I enjoyed learning about and making cheese, although I've not made some lately, although I have been wanting to make paneer recently to use as a meat substitute.  

    Both of these things found their way into this blog and generated some hits for me.

    When my doctor gave me a scare - and after seeing what my beloved Sue has gone through with her various health problems- my health became a priority.  My move towards a more plant based diet is misunderstood by many, even Sue I think, but I really am trying to lose weight and be healthy. A plant based diet also has advantages for the environment as well.  It's both scary and fascinating to learn about where and how are food in produced.

    Again I wrote about that.  Do I concentrate on that?   I'm not a cook and despite my love of food, I don't plan on becoming one.

  
    In the spring I know that I'll have two Korean Dogwoods to plant, courtesy of Tree Pittsburgh and  a variety of native wildflowers and grasses from the Mercer county conservation district.       That will be a new adventure for me as well, as I tip my toes into gardening and I like the idea that not only is the dogwood fruit edible but the trees should last long after I'm gone.  

     Despite my background in education and biology and a love of nature; this will be the first tree that I've ever planted.

    I have thought about foraging as well for several reasons but I'm not sure if that is something that I'm serious about pursing or not.  

    I also know this bog would have more readers and attract more traffic if I had video's of me doing these things or pictures that are clearer and sharper, but I know that learning to do a good You Tube video is difficult and time consuming, and I've neither the equipment or the interest to go down that path.

    So, the question for me is should I soldier on or not?   Although I know I probably will, it's the only way to quiet the thoughts in my head.

 

    

Comments

  1. The thoughts could be a burnout. Have a break, organize priorities, and enlist topics/titles. The denser the knowledge you have on a topic, the more insights you could give, without too much back-and-forth time waste, that's where you can put some effort. Forget about 'complications' of recording for media platforms, people will literally watch anything nowadays, just make sure you are comfortable recording. You are a very good writer, keep it simple and move forward. Good luck to you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Keep going, I enjoy reading your thoughts and advice,, Wanda

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

What all the cool kids are reading.

Maybe we need to rethink invasive species???

Hi. As the writer of the post and feel that I need to clarify something. I do not advocate the planting of invasive species. The point that I'm trying to make, and clearly didn't, is that perhaps we should be thinking about an invasive species in a different light. Apples, figs and other crops are clearly non native to America and Europe but are widely cultivated because they have use to humans as a food source, animal feed, etc. Kudzu is an edible plant and although it is clearly harmful can it be used someway by humans? It's a food source, it's been used as a cloth and is showing some use as a building material. All I'm trying to do is to create discussion on how we can use invasive plants in new ways.   It's mid April here in Western Pennsylvania and so far it's been warm and wet.  The buzz of lawnmowers fill the air as I gallivant through my back yard collecting dandelions to make some tea and bread with them.  I had always known that they w

Why didn't Erie, PA develop into a bigger city?

          Recently I had to travel up to Erie, PA for business.   It's about an hour north of me and is a rather small city, having just under 100 thousand people living in it.   It played an important role in the founding of America,  - where it was the headquarters for Oliver Perry's flagship Niagara during the battle of Like Erie in the war of 1812 .            It was also a important shipping center, being Pennsylvania's only access to the Great Lakes which was the easiest way to trade with parts of Canada at the time as well as move goods to the cities of Detroit and Chicago, which in the mid to early 1800's were just starting to develop.  It was also directly north from Pittsburgh which was a major industrial city at that time.     Yet Erie never really grew beyond it's humble beginnings and I wondered why.   Like any good sleuth I turned to the internet where I found mostly wrong answers.    Many people thought the port of Erie was to shallow to handle most

Don't leave the rural areas behind.

This blog was started because I had lived most of my life as an urban dweller; I wanted to record my adventures as I tried my hands at different things and I never pictured this blog would become what it did. Country life suits me in some ways.   I'm at a point in my life where I can appreciate looking up into the night sky and seeing thousands of stars, just like I did as a kid.   I just love how the moonlight bathes my beautiful sleeping wife in a creme colored light.   Country life is more peaceful and a lot more hard work than I would have ever expected.  While my neighbors and I may not agree politically or philosophically, my new lifestyle has given me insights on how they view the world. This brings me to my main point.   Here in rural America we simply don't have public transportation, nor do we have a lot of manufacturing or diversity or hospitals or even great education...and if we are going to move forward with a brighter greener future that we all want then we canno