Skip to main content

Should I let this blog die? What do I want out of this blog? What do you want?

     I've been wondering of late if I should put this blog to rest.  

    It's been over a year and I'm nowhere near the audience that I've had in the past with other blogs.  Of course, those were a bit more focused.   In the past I wrote about Second and Third Tier soccer in the states, during a time when information about that level of play was hard to come by.   I wrote about communities in virtual reality pioneer Second Life and I wrote about my adventures on a motorcycle.

   

Myself and my Mom on back

All of those blogs had a few thousand readers, and one of the greatest joys in my life was when I was recognized in a bar for my work with the now defunct and fan driven A-league.com (USL soccer) website.   I'm lucky if I break a few hundred hits here on any one piece. 

    Of course, this blog is unfocused.  I'm trying to cover a lot of ground here...and there is a lot of stuff going on in the back ground that I've not discussed. 

    I've also stopped advertising the blog to a great extent.   Getting the word out so people can read your words is just something you have to do.   I used to post to a great extent to the various groups on reddit and Facebook.   You can use hash tags and SEO as well to help drive traffic.  The main reason why I have stopped advertising in groups is that if you advertise to much; you can be accused of spamming and that leads to getting blocked or removed from a group; even if it is a non profit blog.

   


    Or do I bite the bullet and accept that my little hobby needs to become a second job for me and fight my way into an already crowded field by paying for advertising and focusing on only 1 thing that may or may not interest me...but would interest others? 

    The other thing to consider is my enjoyment.  Way back in the late 90's and early "naught's", websites were screaming for content and it was relatively easy to bang out 300 - 1500 words on a subject and get paid either in cold hard cash or in merchandise; I did a review of a motorcycle tank bag for example and was able to keep the item as well as get tickets to the MLS Championship held in Columbus, Ohio. 

    It became a job however...and what ever joy I got from putting my thoughts and feelings out into the world dissipated.   Still though, I was able to do something that many writers have been unable to do.  Actually get paid for their work.

    At this moment in my life I'm interested more in giving advice about what I know, mostly financial advice, and exploring what I don't know.  For example I didn't know much about generator's when I was searching for one but I learned a lot.  

    I enjoyed learning about and making cheese, although I've not made some lately, although I have been wanting to make paneer recently to use as a meat substitute.  

    Both of these things found their way into this blog and generated some hits for me.

    When my doctor gave me a scare - and after seeing what my beloved Sue has gone through with her various health problems- my health became a priority.  My move towards a more plant based diet is misunderstood by many, even Sue I think, but I really am trying to lose weight and be healthy. A plant based diet also has advantages for the environment as well.  It's both scary and fascinating to learn about where and how are food in produced.

    Again I wrote about that.  Do I concentrate on that?   I'm not a cook and despite my love of food, I don't plan on becoming one.

  
    In the spring I know that I'll have two Korean Dogwoods to plant, courtesy of Tree Pittsburgh and  a variety of native wildflowers and grasses from the Mercer county conservation district.       That will be a new adventure for me as well, as I tip my toes into gardening and I like the idea that not only is the dogwood fruit edible but the trees should last long after I'm gone.  

     Despite my background in education and biology and a love of nature; this will be the first tree that I've ever planted.

    I have thought about foraging as well for several reasons but I'm not sure if that is something that I'm serious about pursing or not.  

    I also know this bog would have more readers and attract more traffic if I had video's of me doing these things or pictures that are clearer and sharper, but I know that learning to do a good You Tube video is difficult and time consuming, and I've neither the equipment or the interest to go down that path.

    So, the question for me is should I soldier on or not?   Although I know I probably will, it's the only way to quiet the thoughts in my head.

 

    

Comments

  1. The thoughts could be a burnout. Have a break, organize priorities, and enlist topics/titles. The denser the knowledge you have on a topic, the more insights you could give, without too much back-and-forth time waste, that's where you can put some effort. Forget about 'complications' of recording for media platforms, people will literally watch anything nowadays, just make sure you are comfortable recording. You are a very good writer, keep it simple and move forward. Good luck to you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Keep going, I enjoy reading your thoughts and advice,, Wanda

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

What all the cool kids are reading.

In praise of the simple pumpkin. It has a lot of potential other than pies.

As I write this the temperature is climbing.  We have a window or two open, knowing that soon enough we will be shutting up the house for the next three months or so we can protect ourselves and our cats against the onslaught of winter.   Our wood stove burned overnight to take the chill out of the air and I found myself buying new boots and gloves and driving home with the windows down. This is the nature of autumn in Western Pennsylvania and as I sip on my pumpkin flavored coffee, I cannot help but praise the fruit of the season, and yes it is a fruit, the simple pumpkin. A few things are still growing in our garden, the last of the herbs and tomatoes...a stray pepper or two that needs to be picked.  Yet I find myself interested in growing pumpkins next year after realizing their potential and that they are high in nutritional value.   It's easy to forget in our modern world just how easy we have it as compared to our great grandparents and their grandparents....

Dopamine fix and my take on AI.

When I sat down at the computer recently to type all of this out,  I let out frustrated sigh.    I had plans to release a completely different blog post long before this date but over the last two weeks or so I've done everything I could do but actually work on the yard, or write, or just do anything that was constructive. When you are moving towards a dream or an idea or...well anything really, you can't break the chain.  Even if it's just 10 minutes a day working, that is constructive.    I have an addiction.  It's not to drugs or alcohol and in a way that would be a bit more excusable.   I have an addiction to dopamine .    Dopamine simply is a chemical in your brain that makes you feel good, and it in turn unleashes other "pleasure" chemicals in your brain.  In my case it a program called Second Life,  (SL) which honestly, I used to be on all the time in the early 2000's.  It's hard to explain but the term multius...

Rain and tears and those damned deer. Gardening can be painful.

“ None of us understand what we're doing, but we do beautiful things anyway.” ― Allen Ginsberg   The weatherman stated that we have not had any significant rainfall in over two weeks.  Nor did he see any relief in site. We are not in drought conditions yet, we are just unusually dry.  Interestingly enough, Pennsylvania should be getting warmer and wetter in the future if the climate models hold true.  If we narrow that down even more to my home town , the picture becomes even more interesting.   Solar Punk Pittsburgh For now though, I was worried about my garden.   It is not that big, I basically have a variety of containers around where I am maintaining lettuce, leeks, tomato's, peppers, strawberries, grapes, sunchokes (which I was really interested in growing) and a few other things.     Every garden needs to be watered and I played around with the idea of a r ain water collection systems before, we even had a simple one i...