Skip to main content

Being Thankful I'm not being nibbled to death by gerbils.

    With Thanksgiving on the horizon, many people have asked me what I am thankful for in the last year.  My glib replay is the title of this article.  I know it seems like I'm being a whiny little bitch right now but bear with me, it does get better.

    It's not that I have nothing to be thankful for, I'm still healthy and neither my family or anyone I know has lost a family member to COVID.   I have a roof over my head in a house that, all though dated, has good bones and is slowly but surely becoming "our" home.  All my bills are paid on time and both Sue and I have good paying jobs which we actually do enjoy and like...most days.

   

    I am just feeling stressed and pushed to the limit by circumstances that I can not control, for example this week alone I will have worked ten days straight often putting in a minimum of twelve hours a day for the majority of those days.  When I was a younger man working for an engineering firm in Charlotte, NC I would not have complained, but that job taught me many things.   Number one on that list was to never ever work yourself to death again.

    Unless of course you have a goal in mind.   When I got engaged to my second wife, a lovely woman named Teri, I put in the hours to not only give her a fairy tale wedding but to make a down payment on my first home.

    Now at 55, I find myself putting in these hours due to unforeseen debt caused by family members that got themselves into trouble.   To repair things like the Grinder Pump, to repair our car because we managed to hit not one but two deer in the span of a month.

     Other setbacks included helping my current mother-in-law pull a well that had a leaking pipe on a cold and blustery Saturday, only to have her trip and break her nose.  So we ended up spending part of that day in the hospital as well.  At least I learned how to replace a well pump.

Tipper our 22+ year old cat
  
    In addition to that we had the back window shatter in the van, issues with another car which were minor thankfully. We also had the inconvenience of unexpected vet bills, but they are family too.   All this quickly dissipated the rainy day fund that Sue and I built up over time by nearly half.  

    Our goal now is to fix that economic hole quickly, so we can get back to doing what we wish to do.  Short term pain for long term pleasure is the goal.  

    Once you have a goal in place than you have to be willing to put in the hours, you have to be willing to face the pain and yes, the frustration to meet those goals.   You work and you never break that chain.   

    The first year of our "homestead" was all about defining that goal.   Right now, we have to put off that goal for a brief time to build towards the future.   If we want to replace the kitchen and bathroom to make it more workable for Sue (who has a culinary arts degree) or turn the bathroom into a resort style hideaway then part of that will be to rebuild our contingency fund.    

    We also learned that first year that our goals were to lofty, and after working on the foundations of our homestead adventures, our goals are now more realistic.   We adjusted as we learned more.

    I'm still hoping to go solar sometime in the coming years, I'm still looking at putting in a smaller garden this year...and at least two fruit trees come spring for a few different reasons.   Start small and build up, not the other way around.   We already know it's going to be a small container garden, since their are only the two of us.

    Living here, I've learned that any sort of "vegetarian or vegan" dish that I don't make myself will most likely consist of a bowl of lettuce.     So having a small container garden makes sense.

    I'm thankful that we started this adventure.  Just let me vent about it now and again. 

Comments

What all the cool kids are reading.

In praise of the simple pumpkin. It has a lot of potential other than pies.

As I write this the temperature is climbing.  We have a window or two open, knowing that soon enough we will be shutting up the house for the next three months or so we can protect ourselves and our cats against the onslaught of winter.   Our wood stove burned overnight to take the chill out of the air and I found myself buying new boots and gloves and driving home with the windows down. This is the nature of autumn in Western Pennsylvania and as I sip on my pumpkin flavored coffee, I cannot help but praise the fruit of the season, and yes it is a fruit, the simple pumpkin. A few things are still growing in our garden, the last of the herbs and tomatoes...a stray pepper or two that needs to be picked.  Yet I find myself interested in growing pumpkins next year after realizing their potential and that they are high in nutritional value.   It's easy to forget in our modern world just how easy we have it as compared to our great grandparents and their grandparents....

Dopamine fix and my take on AI.

When I sat down at the computer recently to type all of this out,  I let out frustrated sigh.    I had plans to release a completely different blog post long before this date but over the last two weeks or so I've done everything I could do but actually work on the yard, or write, or just do anything that was constructive. When you are moving towards a dream or an idea or...well anything really, you can't break the chain.  Even if it's just 10 minutes a day working, that is constructive.    I have an addiction.  It's not to drugs or alcohol and in a way that would be a bit more excusable.   I have an addiction to dopamine .    Dopamine simply is a chemical in your brain that makes you feel good, and it in turn unleashes other "pleasure" chemicals in your brain.  In my case it a program called Second Life,  (SL) which honestly, I used to be on all the time in the early 2000's.  It's hard to explain but the term multius...

Between the rock and a hard place

This is the "personal" piece that I didn't plan on writing at all. I keep this blog to help me sort out the jumble of thoughts and emotions that are always bouncing around my head and for the sake of history.  For example, I knew I suffered from depression when I went back and read my personal journals; noticing how I was always bitching about the same things but never doing anything to change it.   The old saying about repeating the same pattern and expecting different results is very true.  Once I broke out of those patterns (with help from a mental health professional) my life got a whole hell of a lot better.  Thus it sort of pains me to see me considering going back into a career that I never expected to be in the first place. Call Centers/Customer Service have been what I've done for the majority of my life.  When the pandemic came, I was able to work form home, and I got used to sitting around in my PJ's drinking my coffee and answering call after ca...