Skip to main content

Being Thankful I'm not being nibbled to death by gerbils.

    With Thanksgiving on the horizon, many people have asked me what I am thankful for in the last year.  My glib replay is the title of this article.  I know it seems like I'm being a whiny little bitch right now but bear with me, it does get better.

    It's not that I have nothing to be thankful for, I'm still healthy and neither my family or anyone I know has lost a family member to COVID.   I have a roof over my head in a house that, all though dated, has good bones and is slowly but surely becoming "our" home.  All my bills are paid on time and both Sue and I have good paying jobs which we actually do enjoy and like...most days.

   

    I am just feeling stressed and pushed to the limit by circumstances that I can not control, for example this week alone I will have worked ten days straight often putting in a minimum of twelve hours a day for the majority of those days.  When I was a younger man working for an engineering firm in Charlotte, NC I would not have complained, but that job taught me many things.   Number one on that list was to never ever work yourself to death again.

    Unless of course you have a goal in mind.   When I got engaged to my second wife, a lovely woman named Teri, I put in the hours to not only give her a fairy tale wedding but to make a down payment on my first home.

    Now at 55, I find myself putting in these hours due to unforeseen debt caused by family members that got themselves into trouble.   To repair things like the Grinder Pump, to repair our car because we managed to hit not one but two deer in the span of a month.

     Other setbacks included helping my current mother-in-law pull a well that had a leaking pipe on a cold and blustery Saturday, only to have her trip and break her nose.  So we ended up spending part of that day in the hospital as well.  At least I learned how to replace a well pump.

Tipper our 22+ year old cat
  
    In addition to that we had the back window shatter in the van, issues with another car which were minor thankfully. We also had the inconvenience of unexpected vet bills, but they are family too.   All this quickly dissipated the rainy day fund that Sue and I built up over time by nearly half.  

    Our goal now is to fix that economic hole quickly, so we can get back to doing what we wish to do.  Short term pain for long term pleasure is the goal.  

    Once you have a goal in place than you have to be willing to put in the hours, you have to be willing to face the pain and yes, the frustration to meet those goals.   You work and you never break that chain.   

    The first year of our "homestead" was all about defining that goal.   Right now, we have to put off that goal for a brief time to build towards the future.   If we want to replace the kitchen and bathroom to make it more workable for Sue (who has a culinary arts degree) or turn the bathroom into a resort style hideaway then part of that will be to rebuild our contingency fund.    

    We also learned that first year that our goals were to lofty, and after working on the foundations of our homestead adventures, our goals are now more realistic.   We adjusted as we learned more.

    I'm still hoping to go solar sometime in the coming years, I'm still looking at putting in a smaller garden this year...and at least two fruit trees come spring for a few different reasons.   Start small and build up, not the other way around.   We already know it's going to be a small container garden, since their are only the two of us.

    Living here, I've learned that any sort of "vegetarian or vegan" dish that I don't make myself will most likely consist of a bowl of lettuce.     So having a small container garden makes sense.

    I'm thankful that we started this adventure.  Just let me vent about it now and again. 

Comments

What all the cool kids are reading.

Maybe we need to rethink invasive species???

Hi. As the writer of the post and feel that I need to clarify something. I do not advocate the planting of invasive species. The point that I'm trying to make, and clearly didn't, is that perhaps we should be thinking about an invasive species in a different light. Apples, figs and other crops are clearly non native to America and Europe but are widely cultivated because they have use to humans as a food source, animal feed, etc. Kudzu is an edible plant and although it is clearly harmful can it be used someway by humans? It's a food source, it's been used as a cloth and is showing some use as a building material. All I'm trying to do is to create discussion on how we can use invasive plants in new ways.   It's mid April here in Western Pennsylvania and so far it's been warm and wet.  The buzz of lawnmowers fill the air as I gallivant through my back yard collecting dandelions to make some tea and bread with them.  I had always known that they w

Why didn't Erie, PA develop into a bigger city?

          Recently I had to travel up to Erie, PA for business.   It's about an hour north of me and is a rather small city, having just under 100 thousand people living in it.   It played an important role in the founding of America,  - where it was the headquarters for Oliver Perry's flagship Niagara during the battle of Like Erie in the war of 1812 .            It was also a important shipping center, being Pennsylvania's only access to the Great Lakes which was the easiest way to trade with parts of Canada at the time as well as move goods to the cities of Detroit and Chicago, which in the mid to early 1800's were just starting to develop.  It was also directly north from Pittsburgh which was a major industrial city at that time.     Yet Erie never really grew beyond it's humble beginnings and I wondered why.   Like any good sleuth I turned to the internet where I found mostly wrong answers.    Many people thought the port of Erie was to shallow to handle most

Don't leave the rural areas behind.

This blog was started because I had lived most of my life as an urban dweller; I wanted to record my adventures as I tried my hands at different things and I never pictured this blog would become what it did. Country life suits me in some ways.   I'm at a point in my life where I can appreciate looking up into the night sky and seeing thousands of stars, just like I did as a kid.   I just love how the moonlight bathes my beautiful sleeping wife in a creme colored light.   Country life is more peaceful and a lot more hard work than I would have ever expected.  While my neighbors and I may not agree politically or philosophically, my new lifestyle has given me insights on how they view the world. This brings me to my main point.   Here in rural America we simply don't have public transportation, nor do we have a lot of manufacturing or diversity or hospitals or even great education...and if we are going to move forward with a brighter greener future that we all want then we canno