Skip to main content

The more you know - Grinder Pumps

           
            Up until this moment, I had never heard of or seen a Grinder Pump.  It's actually a very common piece of plumbing equipment that is usually found in commercial businesses or homes, like mine, that are located lower than the nearest municipal sewer line.  It's designed to prevent waste water backup.  


             (Sorry for such a bad video but there is so little information out there)  

            Now exactly how my house sits lower than the nearest municipal sewer line is beyond me.  After all, when my house was built, it appears to have been done so in such a way that all the water flows away from my home and downhill.   So what I'm thinking is that the grinder pump is there to "push" the waste into the sewer lines that are a good football field distance from my home?  My property is the last in the boro to be hooked into the municipal lines so I suppose I could be "down hill" from them?

            I might be wrong here and it would not be the first time.  

            However my grinder pump needed to be replaced, and frankly it is our fault for letting it get to this stage and falls under the column of homesteading mistakes.  It would have also helped if we recognized the issue before it became a bigger issue, which we didn’t do. 

          


            Back in July when Susan and I were on vacation in Tennessee, our grinder pump alarm went off.   It went off once before in the previous year when our power went out for an extended period of time, we simply told her daughter where the off switch was, and didn't think of it again.

            Now in October, we have signs that the pump's chamber is overflowing.   Actually it was my neighbor who noticed it first as the ground was wet surrounding the pump chamber.  We opened it up and decided to close it immediately.  Yep, it was bad.

            Great, just great.

            It would also appear that alarms go off for a reason. 

            Now there are pumps that we could have bought online for about 1/2 to 1/3 of what we ended up paying.   However we were only able to find one plumbing company that was willing to do the work, which by the way we will never again use, basically stated they could not guarantee their work using a pump we bought.   Nor would they honor any guarantee that came with the pump.  

            So it was their pump...or nothing.

            Plus it would have taken one week for delivery even with our Prime membership.   Susan and I frankly didn't want to run up to the gas station to...you know; and even though I work from home…I got to take a shower sometime right?

            The other reason we wanted this done quickly is that we didn’t want sewage backing up into the house (we did let the issue go for 3 months after all)..   So we tried to watch our water usage over the weekend.  We just could not be sure how bad the issue actually was until it was fixed.

            In the end we also decided to buy a brand new pump.   The average lifetime of a pump is anywhere between 10 to 25 years - and the pump that was replaced was original to the property.   Our home will be paid for by then and hopefully we will be living the life we want to live as traveling vagabonds.   I've already marked my calendar however to do maintenance on the new pump.   

Comments

What all the cool kids are reading.

In praise of the simple pumpkin. It has a lot of potential other than pies.

As I write this the temperature is climbing.  We have a window or two open, knowing that soon enough we will be shutting up the house for the next three months or so we can protect ourselves and our cats against the onslaught of winter.   Our wood stove burned overnight to take the chill out of the air and I found myself buying new boots and gloves and driving home with the windows down. This is the nature of autumn in Western Pennsylvania and as I sip on my pumpkin flavored coffee, I cannot help but praise the fruit of the season, and yes it is a fruit, the simple pumpkin. A few things are still growing in our garden, the last of the herbs and tomatoes...a stray pepper or two that needs to be picked.  Yet I find myself interested in growing pumpkins next year after realizing their potential and that they are high in nutritional value.   It's easy to forget in our modern world just how easy we have it as compared to our great grandparents and their grandparents....

Dopamine fix and my take on AI.

When I sat down at the computer recently to type all of this out,  I let out frustrated sigh.    I had plans to release a completely different blog post long before this date but over the last two weeks or so I've done everything I could do but actually work on the yard, or write, or just do anything that was constructive. When you are moving towards a dream or an idea or...well anything really, you can't break the chain.  Even if it's just 10 minutes a day working, that is constructive.    I have an addiction.  It's not to drugs or alcohol and in a way that would be a bit more excusable.   I have an addiction to dopamine .    Dopamine simply is a chemical in your brain that makes you feel good, and it in turn unleashes other "pleasure" chemicals in your brain.  In my case it a program called Second Life,  (SL) which honestly, I used to be on all the time in the early 2000's.  It's hard to explain but the term multius...

A sense of time in place - traveling in Central PA

One of the first items that Sue and I bought as a couple all those years ago was a grandfather clock.  We used to snuggle under the blanket and listen to the chimes on the hour, the sound filling our house with a warmth and resonance.   That clock is nothing special, being simple in its design and technology.  It's accurate because of the beauty of physics and math...and is a lost art form in its own right. I thought a lot about time and place as we traveled this week.  I thought a lot about place.   Sue and I finally took a brief vacation recently.  Due to circumstances beyond our control, every plan we had made to get away earlier in the year came to naught.  My father became ill and ended up in the hospital which we decided to stay home "just in case."  He ended up in the hospital at least three times this past year, and I decided to spend what time I could with him. Family, after all, is what brought us back to Pennsylvania. We had p...