Skip to main content

Homestead mistakes - the sequel nobody wanted

 Recently we lost power when the transformer blew across the street.  We were without power for about five hours.  Another day we went without power for about two hours due to a fierce thunderstorm.  As luck would have it both these instances occurred when I was off of work (I work from home on a semi-permanent basis) and during the day.

            As such, they proved to be not much of an issue, however it did give me time to test the generator, which has been setting out on our covered back porch awaiting this very opportunity.

            Only it would turn over, but not start.  That could be due to a variety of reasons but old gas in the carburetor would seem the most likely culprit however.  It would also be the easiest fix to the problem.    

     I would simply have to open up the carburetor drain screw, let the old gas drain then make sure to tighten the carb drain screw then let the new gas flow in and try it.   It should start right up.        

            Only we had another issue.   My neighbor was trying to be helpful and tried to start it with the pull chord.  He pulled to hard and ripped the cord right out of the machine.  The generator was not even turning over by now, as it appears to have a dead battery.  How that battery went dead is a mystery but the most likely event is someone (that being me) left the generator in the “on” position therefore draining the battery.

            I've sunk a lot of money into something that I want to use if and when needed.   So far, since moving to Western Pennsylvania we have had at least three instances where we lost power.   When we lived in Florida for just under 15 years, and during that entire time, I think we lost power for a grand total of three times!

             To say that I'm a bit frustrated over the whole thing is an understatement.  I'm not ready to give up on it yet however and am trying to take whatever positive I can from this experience.  In this case, I’m learning a new skill as simple as it may be.

            My dry creek bed project was something that I had planned to do sometime in the future, however when a friend of mine offered to do it for me on a slow week for him, it got moved to the top of the timetable.  I’ve written about this before, how the landscaping was designed to keep our basement dry but having the water flow away from it and into an artificial “creek bed.”  Over time that got filled in.  When my friend Aaron dug the ditch for us, I did not have any money put aside for the project, resulting in my dry creek bed NOT having landscape fabric as a base.  We placed the boulders in place and even created two little waterfall features, as well as determined where we would add a small bridge to cross the creek in the future.

            Sadly I had no way to calculate the amount of river rock I would need nor was it really in the budget.   So I’ve been slowly but surely been adding natural rocks and stones to the creek bed whenever I get the chance, and Aaron did dig up a lot of them for us.  However this is basically spitting in the wind as the amount of rain we have had in the last several weeks deposited a lot of loose sediment in and around our planned features as well as erode areas of the creek bed.   It’s still serving its purpose, but will require me to adjust some things.

            Due to the amount of rain we had in the last few days, we also discovered that our basement was damp.   Not wet mind you as we found no puddles but just a feeling of “dampness.”  A few minor other indicators of possible leakage were showing up on the walls of the basement as well.  Thankfully, no cracking.


Since we used the basement as our pantry, we will have to paint the walls with some sort of water blocking material.  Again, a hit to the budget that was getting stretched thin due to a variety of reasons (which I won't bore you with) however putting this project off would result in more issues down the line. 

            Buying a dehumidifier could also work, however I see that as only a short term solution, and it will only add to our carbon footprint. 

            I don’t really see this as a “mistake” on our part, but it does have to be done correctly the first time.   Miss a spot and water will get in.  This will be the last home that either Sue or I will ever own, and frankly keeping it in good shape is part of the retirement plan in the next 15 to 20 years, assuming life works out that way.  Having it done by a professional should solve the problem the first time.

            On top of everything, it appears that the electric stove is not functioning properly.  It could be as simple as a bad element.  Or it could mean the replacement of the unit altogether.  Which, if we are going to replace the stove then we may as well do the complete kitchen remodel that was planned.  Upgrading the kitchen to more efficient appliances and making the kitchen a much more workable space with additional counter and storage space as well as the addition of propane.

    I am calling that a mistake because we both knew that an upgrade to the kitchen was needed.  However at the time we decided that losing out on a more modern and updated kitchen was worth buying the home.   Now it appears that we may have to move up the timetable on that one too.

            We knew moving in that the house was older and had some issues.  We also knew that I would have to stretch out of my comfort zone for the home to be successful.  In the past year we have done very little “homesteading” and more home improvement that I expected.  It looks like we got more to go.

            One day I have no doubt that I will have the garden I want.  Maybe a few chickens too, but for now both Sue and I will concentrate on the here and now and work towards that dream of being more self sufficient.

  

 

Comments

What all the cool kids are reading.

In praise of the simple pumpkin. It has a lot of potential other than pies.

As I write this the temperature is climbing.  We have a window or two open, knowing that soon enough we will be shutting up the house for the next three months or so we can protect ourselves and our cats against the onslaught of winter.   Our wood stove burned overnight to take the chill out of the air and I found myself buying new boots and gloves and driving home with the windows down. This is the nature of autumn in Western Pennsylvania and as I sip on my pumpkin flavored coffee, I cannot help but praise the fruit of the season, and yes it is a fruit, the simple pumpkin. A few things are still growing in our garden, the last of the herbs and tomatoes...a stray pepper or two that needs to be picked.  Yet I find myself interested in growing pumpkins next year after realizing their potential and that they are high in nutritional value.   It's easy to forget in our modern world just how easy we have it as compared to our great grandparents and their grandparents....

Dopamine fix and my take on AI.

When I sat down at the computer recently to type all of this out,  I let out frustrated sigh.    I had plans to release a completely different blog post long before this date but over the last two weeks or so I've done everything I could do but actually work on the yard, or write, or just do anything that was constructive. When you are moving towards a dream or an idea or...well anything really, you can't break the chain.  Even if it's just 10 minutes a day working, that is constructive.    I have an addiction.  It's not to drugs or alcohol and in a way that would be a bit more excusable.   I have an addiction to dopamine .    Dopamine simply is a chemical in your brain that makes you feel good, and it in turn unleashes other "pleasure" chemicals in your brain.  In my case it a program called Second Life,  (SL) which honestly, I used to be on all the time in the early 2000's.  It's hard to explain but the term multius...

Rain and tears and those damned deer. Gardening can be painful.

“ None of us understand what we're doing, but we do beautiful things anyway.” ― Allen Ginsberg   The weatherman stated that we have not had any significant rainfall in over two weeks.  Nor did he see any relief in site. We are not in drought conditions yet, we are just unusually dry.  Interestingly enough, Pennsylvania should be getting warmer and wetter in the future if the climate models hold true.  If we narrow that down even more to my home town , the picture becomes even more interesting.   Solar Punk Pittsburgh For now though, I was worried about my garden.   It is not that big, I basically have a variety of containers around where I am maintaining lettuce, leeks, tomato's, peppers, strawberries, grapes, sunchokes (which I was really interested in growing) and a few other things.     Every garden needs to be watered and I played around with the idea of a r ain water collection systems before, we even had a simple one i...