Skip to main content

Want a greener and technology advanced future? Look to the Amish for guidence.

Years ago when I lived in Charlotte, North Carolina I was teaching 7th and 8th grade science.  One lesson in particular I remember very well.   It was on the uses of technology and I hoped to impress upon those kids one thought and one thought only.   

Technology is neutral; it's what you do with it that matters.

At that time there were no computers in the classroom and cell phones were still big bulky devices.  However these kids would be one of the first generations to deal with the technology we now take for granted.  So it was important that they at least an inkling of the promise of technology,  and how to deal with those consequences of technology.

I still have my concerns about how we as a society approach technology and what, if anything, we have learned about it.

We can learn from the past of course, but that's always jaded.   If only we had a real world example in the here and now that could serve as a guide on how to approach technology.

Where I live today is considered Amish country.  Although our Amish population is minor compared to that the Eastern part of the state; the county and surrounding area I live in have a population of roughly 2000 people, although I could find no official and up to date count I feel that number is probably a little higher.

I have always admired the Amish for their simple lifestyle and steadfast beliefs, however as I quickly realized living among them that their lives are not that simple and straightforward and how they approach technologically and the world can have lessons for all of us.  

Before we do a deep dive into why the Amish seem to be installing solar panels and windmills everywhere, it's a good idea to have a basic understanding of their beliefs.   The Amish are a branch of Christianity referred to as Anabaptist.   However the Amish split off from that group and further splinters within the Amish community lead to several different orders being created each with their own beliefs and regulations. As such what applies to one Amish family may not apply to all.  

Without going down that mouse hole the Amish basically believe in the following:  Pacifism, a strict separation between Church and State, placing family and community first, humility and finally separation from the world.

It's this last part that make the Amish so unique in the eyes of the many as they ride along in their modest clothing and quaint horse and buggies.  

Separation from the world to them means removing themselves from what could lead to sin.  This is reflected in everything from simple homemade clothing to how they approach technology.  Well the Amish put their emphasis on how technology can affect what they see as important to them, we can learn from how they embrace certain technology.  They don't embrace everything, nor do they disregard everything.

For example the Amish use cell phones and computers to keep in touch and as part of their day to day business dealings.  A local Amish cabinet maker that I know uses his computer at work to store records and create draftsman drawings.   However he would be banned from using this device in his home as the Amish believe it distracts and separates him from his family (and I think most of us would agree with that sentiment).  

The Amish do use electricity to power their phones and computers, but they do not connect to the grid; to do so would make them beholden to others and threaten their traditional way of life.  However the Amish do depend upon generators, battery power and even propane to power their cash registers, recharge their phones and even run washing machines and electric lights (for the business mostly although there are a few in some Amish homes).  

Solar power is not only a cheaper option for them but a safer option, as generators and kerosene fuel are a fire risk and give off noxious fumes.  One or two panels can serve the entire families needs and lights are inexpensive, reliable, efficient can last for some time.  

Considering how the Amish consider themselves to be stewards of the Earth and nature, the solar panels are justified as taken advantage of nature's abundance.  They don't see electrical power as "bad", but they do believe it can lead to the temptations that can harm their culture.  


Stewardship is an interesting word, depending on which interpenetration of the Bible you use, it can mean many things.  The version that I find most helpful however is this one from the Holman Bible Dictionary.  Here it is defined as "utilizing and managing all resources God provides for the betterment of his creation."

The question then becomes...."How will this technology benefit me and my community?"

As an environmentalist and a "steward" how should I approach new technology and how will that benefit me?  How will it affect the community and the world around me?

In other words we have to be more deliberate in our approach to technology.  People today talk about the possibilities of ChatGPT but don’t talk about how to care for those whose jobs will be replaced, either directly or indirectly, by this technology.   

As an environmentalist I welcome the increased use of solar panels and windmills, but I also have to recognize that some of the materials needed to build these wonders are being taken from countries with lax to no environmental protection laws. That much of this former forest or farm land now lies fallow and polluted.   

We need to move from oil, coal and gas to more renewable energy, but if we are raping the resources of a poorer country…what can we do?  Can we hold the mining company responsible?  Won’t that drive up the material costs of the solar panels?  If the move to Green power is going to succeed then part of the appeal to the average citizen is going to have to be low affordable costs.

Their are always costs, sometimes hidden, but there are always costs.  Asking what cost you are willing to pay, as an indivdual and as a society, may be painful, but it is necessary. 

This thoughtful drawn out process is foreign to most of us today, as we see technology as inherently “good.”   We have to consider its impact on our lives, our families lives and most importantly of all; how it affects the world overall. 

We are going to have to accept that compromises will have to be made too.

If we do that…then we might just have the Green Utopia that many of us hope for.

 


Comments

What all the cool kids are reading.

Maybe we need to rethink invasive species???

Hi. As the writer of the post and feel that I need to clarify something. I do not advocate the planting of invasive species. The point that I'm trying to make, and clearly didn't, is that perhaps we should be thinking about an invasive species in a different light. Apples, figs and other crops are clearly non native to America and Europe but are widely cultivated because they have use to humans as a food source, animal feed, etc. Kudzu is an edible plant and although it is clearly harmful can it be used someway by humans? It's a food source, it's been used as a cloth and is showing some use as a building material. All I'm trying to do is to create discussion on how we can use invasive plants in new ways.   It's mid April here in Western Pennsylvania and so far it's been warm and wet.  The buzz of lawnmowers fill the air as I gallivant through my back yard collecting dandelions to make some tea and bread with them.  I had always known that they w

Why didn't Erie, PA develop into a bigger city?

          Recently I had to travel up to Erie, PA for business.   It's about an hour north of me and is a rather small city, having just under 100 thousand people living in it.   It played an important role in the founding of America,  - where it was the headquarters for Oliver Perry's flagship Niagara during the battle of Like Erie in the war of 1812 .            It was also a important shipping center, being Pennsylvania's only access to the Great Lakes which was the easiest way to trade with parts of Canada at the time as well as move goods to the cities of Detroit and Chicago, which in the mid to early 1800's were just starting to develop.  It was also directly north from Pittsburgh which was a major industrial city at that time.     Yet Erie never really grew beyond it's humble beginnings and I wondered why.   Like any good sleuth I turned to the internet where I found mostly wrong answers.    Many people thought the port of Erie was to shallow to handle most

Don't leave the rural areas behind.

This blog was started because I had lived most of my life as an urban dweller; I wanted to record my adventures as I tried my hands at different things and I never pictured this blog would become what it did. Country life suits me in some ways.   I'm at a point in my life where I can appreciate looking up into the night sky and seeing thousands of stars, just like I did as a kid.   I just love how the moonlight bathes my beautiful sleeping wife in a creme colored light.   Country life is more peaceful and a lot more hard work than I would have ever expected.  While my neighbors and I may not agree politically or philosophically, my new lifestyle has given me insights on how they view the world. This brings me to my main point.   Here in rural America we simply don't have public transportation, nor do we have a lot of manufacturing or diversity or hospitals or even great education...and if we are going to move forward with a brighter greener future that we all want then we canno