Skip to main content

Hallowed grounds

     September got away from me it seemed,

    A lot of personal things happened in the last month which made me question a few things, including if it was worth continuing this blog; considering how my readership is so small.   In the end however I decided it was.  Rome, as the saying goes, was not built in a day.

    I can already feel the winds of the coming winter starting, our garage is all ready full of three tons of wood pellets for our stove and yesterday was the first day we lit it.   It was not a bad or particularly cold day but we had a chill in the house that caused my hands to be ice cold, and lighting the stove helped chase that chill from them.  

   

    Soon it will be time to work on winterizing the home.  First however, we had one last trip that Sue and I had wanted to make; or more of a pilgrimage of sorts.  We were going to visit the National Park that memorializes the brave souls of Flight 93 which lost their lives one fateful September day in 2001.

    This would actually be my second visit there, as I came across the site by accident one day in 2004, when all that commemorated the site was the crosses and flowers of a make shift memorial.   I'm not even sure why I was in that part of that state at the time.    

    What surprised me was how hard emotional the site hit me, as I had to choke back tears several times during our visit.  

    I didn't know anyone on that flight.  No one I knew, even remotely, was in New York or Washington that day.  Men and women of a certain age remember where they where, what they were doing and that damned silence that seem to wrap itself around us.  There are better writers, better story tellers than I that can tell those stories.  

   

    Most of the park is still undeveloped, the way it should be, open fields full of native Pennsylvania wildflowers, even being allowed to grow around the Tower of Voices.  Foot paths wind around the park, some following the flight path and eventual crash site, marked by a still visible divot of earth and a lone boulder which marks the final resting place of that flight.  

    The small visitor center contains a museum, holding some of the debris of that flight and a review of what happened on that "otherwise normal late summer day" twenty years ago.   There are even some recordings of the calls that passengers made to love ones as the fateful choice was made to try and retake the plane.  I could not bring myself to listen to them.  It is tasteful and dignified. 

    I have no doubt that this place is lovely and peaceful in the autumn and of rebirth in spring.  Even today, on a peaceful October day and I can't help but think that one day in the future this field will simply be covered with wildflowers and rabbits and deer will bound through it.   Life continues on long after this place and that flight will be forgotton.  

Debris from the flight

    Sadly we were not able to view the Flight 93 Memorial Chapel that is nearby.  This is not part of the official park, but I was hoping to see it.  It's volunteer run and supported by the community and donations.  It's heartfelt although and that really should count for something.

    History is full of big events, but it's the indivdual that creates it in a variety of ways.

    There were a few such site in the are, and more than one covered bridge was nearby as well.  Johnston, home of several famous floods is less than an hour away by car and full of history as well.  A brisk 90 minute car ride to the southwest is Laurel Caverns, another place that I had never been.  I can't help but think that I would like to spend a weekend here, just exploring.

    Pennsylvania has so much history and magic to it, that getting out and about on day trips is never a bad thing.   We decide to go at the last minute and therefore time got away from us so we didn't get to spend as much time as we would have liked exploring the area.

    Overall though I am glad that Sue and I ventured that way.   I think we may return one day.

         

Comments

Post a Comment

What all the cool kids are reading.

Maybe we need to rethink invasive species???

Hi. As the writer of the post and feel that I need to clarify something. I do not advocate the planting of invasive species. The point that I'm trying to make, and clearly didn't, is that perhaps we should be thinking about an invasive species in a different light. Apples, figs and other crops are clearly non native to America and Europe but are widely cultivated because they have use to humans as a food source, animal feed, etc. Kudzu is an edible plant and although it is clearly harmful can it be used someway by humans? It's a food source, it's been used as a cloth and is showing some use as a building material. All I'm trying to do is to create discussion on how we can use invasive plants in new ways.   It's mid April here in Western Pennsylvania and so far it's been warm and wet.  The buzz of lawnmowers fill the air as I gallivant through my back yard collecting dandelions to make some tea and bread with them.  I had always known that they w

Why didn't Erie, PA develop into a bigger city?

          Recently I had to travel up to Erie, PA for business.   It's about an hour north of me and is a rather small city, having just under 100 thousand people living in it.   It played an important role in the founding of America,  - where it was the headquarters for Oliver Perry's flagship Niagara during the battle of Like Erie in the war of 1812 .            It was also a important shipping center, being Pennsylvania's only access to the Great Lakes which was the easiest way to trade with parts of Canada at the time as well as move goods to the cities of Detroit and Chicago, which in the mid to early 1800's were just starting to develop.  It was also directly north from Pittsburgh which was a major industrial city at that time.     Yet Erie never really grew beyond it's humble beginnings and I wondered why.   Like any good sleuth I turned to the internet where I found mostly wrong answers.    Many people thought the port of Erie was to shallow to handle most

Don't leave the rural areas behind.

This blog was started because I had lived most of my life as an urban dweller; I wanted to record my adventures as I tried my hands at different things and I never pictured this blog would become what it did. Country life suits me in some ways.   I'm at a point in my life where I can appreciate looking up into the night sky and seeing thousands of stars, just like I did as a kid.   I just love how the moonlight bathes my beautiful sleeping wife in a creme colored light.   Country life is more peaceful and a lot more hard work than I would have ever expected.  While my neighbors and I may not agree politically or philosophically, my new lifestyle has given me insights on how they view the world. This brings me to my main point.   Here in rural America we simply don't have public transportation, nor do we have a lot of manufacturing or diversity or hospitals or even great education...and if we are going to move forward with a brighter greener future that we all want then we canno