Skip to main content

Honoring the past - Thinking more about "invasive" plant species.

 Recently I've been giving some thought to invasive species.  I had received both positive and negative feedback on the blog post concerning kudzu and recently I came across a very well hidden, and very small, wild cherry tree while doing some yard work.  Since it's against the house it would have to be removed since the root systems could damage my foundation.  

A buddy of mine at work was asking if I was going to transfer it, his logic being that it was a fruiting tree that would not only attract a variety of pollinator's but that the deer would eat the bark and cherries, keeping them away from the garden (which Sue and I swore we were not going to do this year). 



It occurred to me that I was going to have to do a slightly better job of identification, since black cherries are native to America, where as other types of cherries are not.  Being able to make a precise identification would be helpful.   I used to be able to identify all these trees in a heartbeat 30 years ago.  There are over 400 different species of cheery trees alone and only the good Lord knows how many hybrids and cross pollinated species there are.

Things get completed pretty quickly when it comes to plants.  While we should, without a doubt be planting native species, it's not always possible.  The big box stores and various nurseries are going to pander to what the public wants. In most castes that is going to be showy hybrid plants or non native species.  Even Tree Pittsburgh, an organization dedicated to the propagation of native species, will have non natives from time to time.

For example, recently I decided to make an exception to my rules and plant a lilac bush.  

It's a plant that I feel in love with years ago, it's purple flowers reminded me of going to my Grandmother's house in the middle of Pittsburgh.  Her small yard was always full of flowers planted at various levels as they made their way up the hillside.  She would make a lilac tea and candies sometime but my memory may be faulty.  It was a plant that my mother loved and is one of the first to bloom in spring.

Susan's father was a beekeeper and she mentioned lilac infused honey was something they used to make at home.  

Lilac's are beautiful and attract various pollinators, and encourage cross pollination between plants as pollen gets caught up on butterfly's and bees.  It's a long lived plant that can live up to 100 years or more and may have been introduced to the America's sometime in the 1750's if not earlier.  Although the flowers of a lilac are edible, the rest of it is not.  At a time when starvation was a real threat why would the colonists bring the lilac to America?

While the early Americans may have used it for medicinal purposes as well as an ornamental, I tend to think that it's widespread use in colonial America was simply because it reminded them of the homeland they left.  Lilacs may have originated in the mountains of Southeastern Europe but quickly spread throughout the continent and found it's way into the various traditions and myths of the European's.  In a way it was the love of the hardy, drought and cold tolerant lilac that unified America.   It was something that they would not have to spend a lot of time and energy on to grow and provided some comfort and benefit to them.

When you find a lilac in the woods, you will often find the remains of an old building nearby.  Someone planted that tree.  Maybe to serve as an ornamental to the entrance of their home, or maybe close to the outhouse.

I don't know what the future will bring to my little part of the world.  All I know is that I want to do more, I want to leave some type of legacy that would be useful to who ever takes over this land in the future.  I want them to eat from the fruit trees and take comfort in the surroundings.  Or maybe some lost soul will come across a single lilac bush and realize that someone once lived here.  That a home stood here, maybe - just maybe - they will be curious as to whom planted that tree and why.


One of the first things I did when Sue and I moved into our home was plant a Kousa dogwood.  At the time I was thinking about the beauty of the dogwood tree and it's unusual looking fruit.  I knew it's fruit was edible and that it had some theoretical medicinal value, but very little else about it.  It's as tall as me now but still considered an invasive species just because it is not a native tree.

Do I rip it out?

Pine trees that originated in Western Canada that are 30 feet tall or more, again planted by the original owners and not native to the area.  

Do I rip them out?

Some would argue yes, and technically they are not wrong.  For me however I'm reconsidering some things.  Honoring the history of the house and traditions are important to me.  

Other things to consider are a bit more offbeat and important as well.

The world's population is estimated to be 9.2 Billion people in 2040.  Right now the following foods are considered staple crops and are the most produced foods:  rice (which feeds nearly half of humanity), wheat, corn, millet, sorghum, roots and tubers (such as potatoes, cassava, yams and taro), and animal products such as meat, milk, eggs, cheese and fish. 

We are already losing good farmland to climate change and development.  Things are either going to have to adapt quickly or...well the threat of greater food scarcity and starvation in many underdeveloped nations is at real possibility.   There is a real possibility it could happen here in America as well.

No, I'm not trying to scare you but this shit simply isn't being addressed.  Yes, vertical farming helps.  Yes, lab grown meat is going to help (and should be encouraged - not banned by short term thinkers).  Learning to eat locally and different types of food is only going to help.

So learning to eat the invasive plants and animals is not a bad thing.  Learning how to use them to our advantage, and maintain control of them is not a bad thing. 

The problem of course is that control is an illusion.  We are never in control.  Still though, sometimes you have to honor the past while making the world a better place in some small way.  

Comments

What all the cool kids are reading.

Why didn't Erie, PA develop into a bigger city?

          Recently I had to travel up to Erie, PA for business.   It's about an hour north of me and is a rather small city, having just under 100 thousand people living in it.   It played an important role in the founding of America,  - where it was the headquarters for Oliver Perry's flagship Niagara during the battle of Like Erie in the war of 1812 .            It was also a important shipping center, being Pennsylvania's only access to the Great Lakes which was the easiest way to trade with parts of Canada at the time as well as move goods to the cities of Detroit and Chicago, which in the mid to early 1800's were just starting to develop.  It was also directly north from Pittsburgh which was a major industrial city at that time.     Yet Erie never really grew beyond it's humble beginnings and I wondered why.   Like any good sleuth I turned to the internet where I found mostly wrong answers.    Many people thought the port of Erie was to shallow to handle most

Paradigm shifts and Project 2040

In 1906, Alfred Henry Lewis stated, “ There are only nine meals between mankind and anarchy. ” His observation has been echoed by people ever since and changed a bit over time, but has remained a stark warning. Only anarchy the way most people think of it rarely occurs.  We have found that people are more likely to band together when their communities face some sort of disaster, be it from war, plague or natural disaster.   We are all too familiar with pictures and videos of communities digging through the rubble of bombed buildings searching for survivors...but how many of us remember the moments during the Covid epidemic of people singing from their balconies?   When you have a community; people will always help people.  Despite these bleak times the things that make us human - our compassion - will see us through. Recently my life changed due to issues with a car .  While, in the scheme of things it was a minor crisis it did make me think if things could have been done differently,

Thinking about climate migration. It's the next big issue we will have to face.

Recently I learned that nearly two out of every three Americans have been affected in some way by climate change.  That 62% of Americans think climate change is currently having some sort of effect on their local community and economy. I mention this because climate change is one of the several reasons we moved from Tampa, Florida to Northwestern Pennsylvania a few years ago.   My wife, Susan, likes to tell the story of when it was 90 degrees (32 C) on New Year's day, which is an exaggeration but the point remains.  It was hot and humid on a day that really should not have been. It got so bad that even the natives were saying "It's to hot." Migration is defined as " The movement of a person or people from one country, locality, place of residence, etc., to settle in another ."  Thus Sue and myself became, without even realizing it "Climate migrant's." Now I want to make it perfectly clear that I'm not comparing Susan and myself to any