Skip to main content

The city mouse stores food for winter

We are at the supermarket yesterday and manged to buy nearly $150 dollars worth of goods.  Including some ground lamb that I intend to turn into a late 16th Century dish once I find some powered nutmeg and cloves.  

Interestingly enough, the same market had cloves but I've no way to make them into a powder.  So, if anyone wants to get me a pestle and mortar for the holiday's that be great.  But I regress.  

Sue and I have a refrigerator and two freezers, both of which are stuffed to the gills.   Our basement has become an ad hoc pantry as food takes over one corner.  My wine fridge has 3 local wines in it and I'm planning on adding a few more to it in the coming months. I've got a few beers stored away as well. I could not help but laugh and tell Sue that the "City Mouse" was storing away food for winter.

Which, she reminded me, is exactly what we are doing.   We moved into our home in September.  Basically living here for only two months and missing out on the growing season.   Although Sue knows how to preserve food via canning, it's something we simply have not practiced in the past. Nor do we have anything to can.  

Storing up for the long, cold days ahead
So until we get to that point, it's best to save up for some future day.  It's been a long time since I've had to drive in snow (no, it's not snowing yet but it will), and although I enjoyed getting out of the house for a bit today, we are still a 30 minute drive from the nearest markets.   So it's better to stock up so you don't have to make that drive.

We talked about how an old friend of hers wants us to go in with them and buy either a quarter or a half of cow with them.  Or perhaps even a pig.  

I'm learning a lot out here in the country, and doing the math it may make sense for us to get a 1/2 a cow with friends, although where to store it would be an issue.  Although it looks like that will happen closer to the new year than anytime soon and we should have some room in the freezer by then.  

What shocks and surprises me at how commonplace this quickly sounds.   

"Hey Rob, you want buy a 1/2 of cow with us?  Run you about $1000 dollars and give you a yield of about 170 pounds.of meat" sounds reasonable.   I've paid $25 or more for a good steak at a restaurant.  Why not pay less for the same cut? The biggest advantage to doing it this way is that your paying the same price for each cut of meat. The filet mingon is costing you the same as a prime rib which is costing you the same as a hamburger.

It does sound like a lot of beef, but that would last us about a year and would prevent us from buying meat at the grocer. Something, up until several months ago, would have never ever entered my rader. Nor would I've ever considered doing it, much less found out how. Their is some debate about exactly how much beef the "Average American" eats but in 2019 it was roughly 217 pounds. Yes, we should all be cutting down on our red meat consumption, but buying 1/2 the cow means that your removing yourself from having to buy other meat in the future, as well as saving money on gas and time. Now the conversation turned once again. We have considered chickens and goats eventually. It be nice to have fresh eggs, and we've already talked about goat's milk and cheese. Any animal we get would require time, and that in turn may pervent us from doing things like taking a cruise or just getting away from the weekend (Sue and I love to travel). Plus, evenutally a chicken stops laying and when that time comes, it's best it end up in the soup pot. Although, thanks to capitalism, their are actually chickens that have been raised for their meat only, and those that arn't. I have been a pacifist my entire life, and seriously doubt if I could kill any living thing. I may explore that pacifism in another post. Knowing where my food comes from, does not bother me. So for now we will load up the fridge and prepare the best we can for the coming winter. I plan to dig in and be safe and warm in my little den. Knowing that spring will eventually come.

Comments

What all the cool kids are reading.

In praise of the simple pumpkin. It has a lot of potential other than pies.

As I write this the temperature is climbing.  We have a window or two open, knowing that soon enough we will be shutting up the house for the next three months or so we can protect ourselves and our cats against the onslaught of winter.   Our wood stove burned overnight to take the chill out of the air and I found myself buying new boots and gloves and driving home with the windows down. This is the nature of autumn in Western Pennsylvania and as I sip on my pumpkin flavored coffee, I cannot help but praise the fruit of the season, and yes it is a fruit, the simple pumpkin. A few things are still growing in our garden, the last of the herbs and tomatoes...a stray pepper or two that needs to be picked.  Yet I find myself interested in growing pumpkins next year after realizing their potential and that they are high in nutritional value.   It's easy to forget in our modern world just how easy we have it as compared to our great grandparents and their grandparents....

Dopamine fix and my take on AI.

When I sat down at the computer recently to type all of this out,  I let out frustrated sigh.    I had plans to release a completely different blog post long before this date but over the last two weeks or so I've done everything I could do but actually work on the yard, or write, or just do anything that was constructive. When you are moving towards a dream or an idea or...well anything really, you can't break the chain.  Even if it's just 10 minutes a day working, that is constructive.    I have an addiction.  It's not to drugs or alcohol and in a way that would be a bit more excusable.   I have an addiction to dopamine .    Dopamine simply is a chemical in your brain that makes you feel good, and it in turn unleashes other "pleasure" chemicals in your brain.  In my case it a program called Second Life,  (SL) which honestly, I used to be on all the time in the early 2000's.  It's hard to explain but the term multius...

Rain and tears and those damned deer. Gardening can be painful.

“ None of us understand what we're doing, but we do beautiful things anyway.” ― Allen Ginsberg   The weatherman stated that we have not had any significant rainfall in over two weeks.  Nor did he see any relief in site. We are not in drought conditions yet, we are just unusually dry.  Interestingly enough, Pennsylvania should be getting warmer and wetter in the future if the climate models hold true.  If we narrow that down even more to my home town , the picture becomes even more interesting.   Solar Punk Pittsburgh For now though, I was worried about my garden.   It is not that big, I basically have a variety of containers around where I am maintaining lettuce, leeks, tomato's, peppers, strawberries, grapes, sunchokes (which I was really interested in growing) and a few other things.     Every garden needs to be watered and I played around with the idea of a r ain water collection systems before, we even had a simple one i...