Skip to main content

It just takes patience and time

    Earlier in the week, I finally managed to get most of the house pressure washed.  This has been something that I’ve wanted to do for some time and kept getting put off due to weather, other commitments and God knows what else.

Getting the green off!

    Notice I said “most” of the house.  I was only able to reach about seven or eight feet into the air.  So nearly all the second floor of the home is still in need of a good cleaning, I didn’t have the right tools to go any higher. 

     To do that, I would need a steady ladder and a longer hose.  Two things I don’t currently have but will be resolved shortly (probably by the time I publish this).  It’s just two more things to add to my growing collection of things.   The accumulation of things is something I'm trying to avoid but that's another post for another time.

    I’ve owned homes before, both here In Pennsylvania and in Florida.   Over time I have managed to build a nice collection of hammers, wrenches, drills and a few other items; yes, even a ladder.  Generally speaking however I’ve not needed a tool like a post-hole digger.  Nor have I needed more than one lawn mower, a wheelbarrow, and good knows what else. 

 Having the right tool for the right job and at the right time, such as a power washer, can make a world of difference when living out in the country.    I just never realized it before.   I am far from a jack of all trades, and I absolutely refuse to do anything that involves anything electric.

My comfort zone has been to call a contractor in the past, now I am simply much more comfortable with using tools that I have never needed before, or ever thought I would use.                

 You know damn well that I’m being careful with that chainsaw.  However since I’ve never really needed one before, I have never used one.   When I am talking to some friends about taking down a tree, I know that I will be an active participant and not on the outside looking in.

    It’s fun, exciting…and damn scary at the same time.   This Bumble simply does not bounce the way he used to.  At my age (55) and the shape I am in (round), I have to be careful.  Plus I know that some heart issues run in my family and overdoing it could do me in.  

In my last post I was feeling a bit overwhelmed by all the little projects that I am trying to do...but then I think of what Sue and I have accomplished (with help from friends and family) and I realize exactly how lucky and blessed I am.

As much fun as it would have been to plant a garden this year, I know that with Susan working her hours as well as her volunteer work, my work schedule and my interest in joining the Independent Order of Odd-Fellows, who have a lodge near us…we simply don’t have the time to accomplish some things right now.

I am looking forward to the day when the locals refer to our home as the “Wilson” place and not the “Old Tom Mills” place.  One of the locals stopped by the other day and thanked us for cutting some of the brush back off the road so they could see around the corner coming up the road.   They also liked our new red roof.  Slowly but surely we are becoming part of this small towns life.

We will get “There”.   It just takes patience and time.

Comments

What all the cool kids are reading.

In praise of the simple pumpkin. It has a lot of potential other than pies.

As I write this the temperature is climbing.  We have a window or two open, knowing that soon enough we will be shutting up the house for the next three months or so we can protect ourselves and our cats against the onslaught of winter.   Our wood stove burned overnight to take the chill out of the air and I found myself buying new boots and gloves and driving home with the windows down. This is the nature of autumn in Western Pennsylvania and as I sip on my pumpkin flavored coffee, I cannot help but praise the fruit of the season, and yes it is a fruit, the simple pumpkin. A few things are still growing in our garden, the last of the herbs and tomatoes...a stray pepper or two that needs to be picked.  Yet I find myself interested in growing pumpkins next year after realizing their potential and that they are high in nutritional value.   It's easy to forget in our modern world just how easy we have it as compared to our great grandparents and their grandparents....

Dopamine fix and my take on AI.

When I sat down at the computer recently to type all of this out,  I let out frustrated sigh.    I had plans to release a completely different blog post long before this date but over the last two weeks or so I've done everything I could do but actually work on the yard, or write, or just do anything that was constructive. When you are moving towards a dream or an idea or...well anything really, you can't break the chain.  Even if it's just 10 minutes a day working, that is constructive.    I have an addiction.  It's not to drugs or alcohol and in a way that would be a bit more excusable.   I have an addiction to dopamine .    Dopamine simply is a chemical in your brain that makes you feel good, and it in turn unleashes other "pleasure" chemicals in your brain.  In my case it a program called Second Life,  (SL) which honestly, I used to be on all the time in the early 2000's.  It's hard to explain but the term multius...

Rain and tears and those damned deer. Gardening can be painful.

“ None of us understand what we're doing, but we do beautiful things anyway.” ― Allen Ginsberg   The weatherman stated that we have not had any significant rainfall in over two weeks.  Nor did he see any relief in site. We are not in drought conditions yet, we are just unusually dry.  Interestingly enough, Pennsylvania should be getting warmer and wetter in the future if the climate models hold true.  If we narrow that down even more to my home town , the picture becomes even more interesting.   Solar Punk Pittsburgh For now though, I was worried about my garden.   It is not that big, I basically have a variety of containers around where I am maintaining lettuce, leeks, tomato's, peppers, strawberries, grapes, sunchokes (which I was really interested in growing) and a few other things.     Every garden needs to be watered and I played around with the idea of a r ain water collection systems before, we even had a simple one i...