Skip to main content

Sometimes you have to vent.

     When you own a home or any piece of property, you realize how much you don’t really know.   You become a plumber, an electrician, a landscaper and a painter.   You become, or are forced to become, a lot of little things as part of being a homeowner.  It’s in the fine print of that contract you signed.

       I thought about that and 1001 little things during the last few days.  Recently my riding lawnmower needed a blade replaced, which I replaced with mulching blades, only for me to hit a hidden root with it again – on a tree that was scheduled to come down this weekend.   Now the mower assembly will not engage at all; shutting down the whole machine.  We have to have it repaired for the second time within a week.

      I thought about how the summer thunderstorms moving through our area all this week were turning our “dry creek bed” project into a very wet, very muddy issue.  I’m also realizing that this is why I should have put a landscape barrier down (to help prevent erosion) AND that I am going to need a lot more rock for this project.   Luckily, the soil in and around Western Pennsylvania tends to be full of rocks and many farmers have piles of them.   It’s just a matter of getting them here from there.   This means I’m going to need to find/rent/steal a truck.

      Other projects that we have been meaning to do keep putting put off for a wide variety of reasons.  We have been wanting to pressure wash the house all summer for example but the weather has not cooperated.

   A friend of ours is letting us barrow his 1250+ PSI pressure washer instead of going to rent one.  We could buy one but frankly the expense of one does not justify its use.    Since our home is technically two stories and has some “hard to hit” areas we may need to borrow his RK tractor as well.  

    Basically I plan on standing on a pallet with the equipment, raised in the air and quickly pressure wash these hard to hit areas.


      He broke his ankle this week.   On top of all that, my mother in law had two trees fall on their garage during one of the thunderstorms.  Luckily no one was hurt and the cars were out of the garage at the time.   However that means that cutting those trees becomes a priority and I’ve not even been out to see the damage yet.

 
 
Sue and I have talked about taking down two or three trees that are near our house and don't appear to be in the greatest of shape.   I've been reluctant to take down any still living tree (they do show signs of rot) but am thinking that she may be right.   We know that it takes at least 6 months to a year for wood to "season" to be burned and now would be the time to take a tree down for that purpose.  

    We already cleared a lot of brush and even took down some dead limbs on our property.  

     All these things have happened in the last two weeks or so.   My job also moved me to a new schedule.  I actually volunteered for it for reasons I’m not going to discuss here (yet anyway).   I am now working from 8 AM to 6 PM with Saturday, Sunday, and Wednesday’s off.  However as I quickly learned last week that means that my entire day is taken up with work.  I’m simply not able to do much during the day.  

      Wednesday’s now become “the day” for me to accomplish any projects or make any phone calls needed.  Make appointments, etc.  I have to get my car inspected by the end of the month for example and still have to replace the muffler on it.  I just dropped $400+ on new tires.

      For a variety of reasons, Sue also took on a secondary part time job.  She is cleaning two offices near us every night.   We don’t need the money but Sue is referring to it as our “vacation fund” in that we have not been on a proper vacation in several years.    Some evenings I’ve been asked to help out. 

      I know that all this will pass, that Rome wasn’t built in a day.   I just don’t like relaying on others for help, although I don’t mind paying for it.   

    Sometimes you just have to vent and I feel like I've bitten off more than I can chew.

Comments

What all the cool kids are reading.

In praise of the simple pumpkin. It has a lot of potential other than pies.

As I write this the temperature is climbing.  We have a window or two open, knowing that soon enough we will be shutting up the house for the next three months or so we can protect ourselves and our cats against the onslaught of winter.   Our wood stove burned overnight to take the chill out of the air and I found myself buying new boots and gloves and driving home with the windows down. This is the nature of autumn in Western Pennsylvania and as I sip on my pumpkin flavored coffee, I cannot help but praise the fruit of the season, and yes it is a fruit, the simple pumpkin. A few things are still growing in our garden, the last of the herbs and tomatoes...a stray pepper or two that needs to be picked.  Yet I find myself interested in growing pumpkins next year after realizing their potential and that they are high in nutritional value.   It's easy to forget in our modern world just how easy we have it as compared to our great grandparents and their grandparents....

Dopamine fix and my take on AI.

When I sat down at the computer recently to type all of this out,  I let out frustrated sigh.    I had plans to release a completely different blog post long before this date but over the last two weeks or so I've done everything I could do but actually work on the yard, or write, or just do anything that was constructive. When you are moving towards a dream or an idea or...well anything really, you can't break the chain.  Even if it's just 10 minutes a day working, that is constructive.    I have an addiction.  It's not to drugs or alcohol and in a way that would be a bit more excusable.   I have an addiction to dopamine .    Dopamine simply is a chemical in your brain that makes you feel good, and it in turn unleashes other "pleasure" chemicals in your brain.  In my case it a program called Second Life,  (SL) which honestly, I used to be on all the time in the early 2000's.  It's hard to explain but the term multius...

Rain and tears and those damned deer. Gardening can be painful.

“ None of us understand what we're doing, but we do beautiful things anyway.” ― Allen Ginsberg   The weatherman stated that we have not had any significant rainfall in over two weeks.  Nor did he see any relief in site. We are not in drought conditions yet, we are just unusually dry.  Interestingly enough, Pennsylvania should be getting warmer and wetter in the future if the climate models hold true.  If we narrow that down even more to my home town , the picture becomes even more interesting.   Solar Punk Pittsburgh For now though, I was worried about my garden.   It is not that big, I basically have a variety of containers around where I am maintaining lettuce, leeks, tomato's, peppers, strawberries, grapes, sunchokes (which I was really interested in growing) and a few other things.     Every garden needs to be watered and I played around with the idea of a r ain water collection systems before, we even had a simple one i...