Skip to main content

Easter, Family and Hrudka (Slovak Egg Cheese)

    We are having my family over for Easter.  

    Generally speaking I'm happy about this.   I don't get to see my brother and his family very often.  I'm sure that my niece will have a bit of fun feeding our next door neighbor, Billy the horse. as well as enjoying a good dinner of glazed Ham, carrots with some pesto and my homemade ricotta, scalloped potato's and maybe some grilled asparagus. 

    Easter is also a time of rebirth, a call back to simpler times when the natural cycles of the world held sway.   Both Susan and I are non religious, believing in Science more than some Higher Power but we are both smart enough to know that traditions matter; and that deep down we are still hardwired to be thankful for warmer days ahead.

Blessing of the Easter Baskets

    This is also the first major holiday since Thanksgiving that we will have family over.  Sadly my brother and I have little in common and completely different memories of growing up in the same home.  Since the death of my mother in October, we have learned to least tolerate each other, although we still differ in nearly every way possible.

    However, that is not what this blog is about.

    As part of that dinner I was considering making Hrudka (ha-ROO-ka) which is a Slovak Easter tradition.   Now for the record I'm not Slovak, we're more Irish/English, but what interested me about this was how it was made.  

    It's a cheese made with eggs.   In fact, in doing some poking around it's more of an egg custard in taste and consistency than an actual cheese.  However it does includes a lot of steps that cheese makers would feel at home with..   I found recipes with finely cut carrots and spinach in it to more of a sweeter cheese where cinnamon or vanilla was added. In other words, it seems like a forgiving recipe.   The video below is for illustrative purposes only.

    I decided to make a test version  and basically cut the recipe in half, I still ended up with a lot of cheese.   My version included a 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla and 3 tablespoons sugar because I wanted a sweeter taste but not overly sweet.

  


        Hrudka also has a very short self life, which is another reason I wanted to keep it small.  Normally Hrudka is made with at least a dozen of eggs and eaten within one of two days around Easter. 

    Now, that being said.   It's wonderful!   The fresher the better as the vanilla flavoring that I added faded within a day or so and the cheese will firm up over time even in the fridge.   It reminded me of egg custard and I could swear that the taste reminded of me of something I had as a young child at my grandmother's house ages ago.  **UPDATE**  My ex Teri informed me that she made this one year, however it was called "Cidek" as was basically the same thing.  I knew I had tasted it before!!!

    It's light, fluffy, sweet and with a bit of savoriness to it that is surprisingly good.   Passing it among Sue's family they all enjoyed it and a few went back for seconds.  

    The only problem with this of course, is that my Dad probably wouldn't eat it because he would not know what it was.   My little niece and his wife are picky eaters, my brother is a graduate of the Culinary Institute of America and even though he's no longer working as a chef...he's tough to impress.  

    So, only one thing could be done.   I would not tell them what it was or what it was made out of. 

 

    Even though it falls on different days and months of the year, Easter is also the traditional celebration of spring.  It's roots go deep into pagan tradition and the earliest civilizations.  It's always been a special time of year for me, despite having killer allergies.

    It's opening up the house to the first warm breezes after having everything shut tight against the cold of winter.  It's the first hamburger cooked over an open fire, it's the first day sitting outside watching the sun set with a nice glass of wine.   

 

    It's spring.   Lets just be happy with that.  

     

Comments

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

What all the cool kids are reading.

Maybe we need to rethink invasive species???

Hi. As the writer of the post and feel that I need to clarify something. I do not advocate the planting of invasive species. The point that I'm trying to make, and clearly didn't, is that perhaps we should be thinking about an invasive species in a different light. Apples, figs and other crops are clearly non native to America and Europe but are widely cultivated because they have use to humans as a food source, animal feed, etc. Kudzu is an edible plant and although it is clearly harmful can it be used someway by humans? It's a food source, it's been used as a cloth and is showing some use as a building material. All I'm trying to do is to create discussion on how we can use invasive plants in new ways.   It's mid April here in Western Pennsylvania and so far it's been warm and wet.  The buzz of lawnmowers fill the air as I gallivant through my back yard collecting dandelions to make some tea and bread with them.  I had always known that they w

Why didn't Erie, PA develop into a bigger city?

          Recently I had to travel up to Erie, PA for business.   It's about an hour north of me and is a rather small city, having just under 100 thousand people living in it.   It played an important role in the founding of America,  - where it was the headquarters for Oliver Perry's flagship Niagara during the battle of Like Erie in the war of 1812 .            It was also a important shipping center, being Pennsylvania's only access to the Great Lakes which was the easiest way to trade with parts of Canada at the time as well as move goods to the cities of Detroit and Chicago, which in the mid to early 1800's were just starting to develop.  It was also directly north from Pittsburgh which was a major industrial city at that time.     Yet Erie never really grew beyond it's humble beginnings and I wondered why.   Like any good sleuth I turned to the internet where I found mostly wrong answers.    Many people thought the port of Erie was to shallow to handle most

Don't leave the rural areas behind.

This blog was started because I had lived most of my life as an urban dweller; I wanted to record my adventures as I tried my hands at different things and I never pictured this blog would become what it did. Country life suits me in some ways.   I'm at a point in my life where I can appreciate looking up into the night sky and seeing thousands of stars, just like I did as a kid.   I just love how the moonlight bathes my beautiful sleeping wife in a creme colored light.   Country life is more peaceful and a lot more hard work than I would have ever expected.  While my neighbors and I may not agree politically or philosophically, my new lifestyle has given me insights on how they view the world. This brings me to my main point.   Here in rural America we simply don't have public transportation, nor do we have a lot of manufacturing or diversity or hospitals or even great education...and if we are going to move forward with a brighter greener future that we all want then we canno