Skip to main content

Generator Update and shortcuts

     A few months ago I found myself in a precarious position.  The lights had gone off for a tad more than 24 hours and I panicked.  You see, I work from home and hope to continue to work from home into the foreseeable future and to do that, I need a reliable source of power.  I am planning on NOT ever going to the Cleveland if I can help it.  

    My job is technically in downtown Cleveland, and we moved to Western PA to be closer to family and friends.  My mother, for example, passed shortly after we moved.  I

    So I spent a few days looking for a generator that could not only keep my up and running, but could also help keep the house warm by running our pellet stove and lights.   If you want, you can read more about how I ended up with the generator I did, here.  However long story short, it was important to me that I could keep my work PC on, a few lights, the pellet stove burning and maybe a TV and phone chargers

    I had also set a budget to get everything, including the hook up into the home electrical system at around $1500.   After getting some estimates by various electricians...it occurred to me that I was underestimating this project by roughly $500.

    Because I was going to exceed my budget and we didn't have another "serious blackout" yet, although we have had a few short minor outages of a minute or two.  In fact, according to a few people in the area; that was the first serious blackout in several years.

   The weather had also cooperated for the most part, in that we did not have a huge amount of snowfall yet this season, although we did get nine (9) inches one day, nor did we have drastic changes in temperatures.   Most days it hovers about 35 F (2 C).  

    Snow, cold, ice...all these things can contribute to a blackout in winter.   Or to put it in other words...things got pushed to the back burner as the memory of that blackout faded.  However I finally got around to getting the generator hooked up outside...a little differently then planned but it saved me money and effort and was done by a licensed and certified contractor, so I know it was done right.  The fact that he owed me a favor helped in the overall scheme of things too.

    All told, including buying the parts to put this puppy together, it cost me roughly $250 then what I had originally budgeted.  We also moved the generator to a much more secure sight then originally planned.  I'm calling this a WIN - WIN for me.

    The original plan was to drill a hole through the concrete block and set the generator on a pad.  Then come spring build a little box for it to protect it from the elements and hide the generator from prying eyes.    Now it sits secure in my locked shed and accessible to me when needed all because the shed was hooked up correctly by the previous owner.   Come a blackout, all I need to do is make a short hike and connect some things. 

    Now that being said, it's a little louder than I originally expected.  So far though, I'm happy with it.  Wen Generators are actually pretty easy to put together and operate.   While this next video is simply not the best example, it does provide with an idea of the size of the unit, how easy it was to put together - actually getting out of the box was the roughest part.  You may want to skip a head a bit in the video...I did, but it does give you pretty clear instructions on set up and procedure.


    I'm sure that sometime, somewhere I'm going to have to use this generator for something other than it's intended purpose..and I know that it is probably to much for my needs.  However if I am going to make a go at this rural lifestyle a generator is just one of those things that I need.  

    Its not exactly portable and it's loud...but it will keep my house warm, light and keep my ass working...and that is all I ask of it.

 

     

    

Comments

What all the cool kids are reading.

Maybe we need to rethink invasive species???

Hi. As the writer of the post and feel that I need to clarify something. I do not advocate the planting of invasive species. The point that I'm trying to make, and clearly didn't, is that perhaps we should be thinking about an invasive species in a different light. Apples, figs and other crops are clearly non native to America and Europe but are widely cultivated because they have use to humans as a food source, animal feed, etc. Kudzu is an edible plant and although it is clearly harmful can it be used someway by humans? It's a food source, it's been used as a cloth and is showing some use as a building material. All I'm trying to do is to create discussion on how we can use invasive plants in new ways.   It's mid April here in Western Pennsylvania and so far it's been warm and wet.  The buzz of lawnmowers fill the air as I gallivant through my back yard collecting dandelions to make some tea and bread with them.  I had always known that they w

Why didn't Erie, PA develop into a bigger city?

          Recently I had to travel up to Erie, PA for business.   It's about an hour north of me and is a rather small city, having just under 100 thousand people living in it.   It played an important role in the founding of America,  - where it was the headquarters for Oliver Perry's flagship Niagara during the battle of Like Erie in the war of 1812 .            It was also a important shipping center, being Pennsylvania's only access to the Great Lakes which was the easiest way to trade with parts of Canada at the time as well as move goods to the cities of Detroit and Chicago, which in the mid to early 1800's were just starting to develop.  It was also directly north from Pittsburgh which was a major industrial city at that time.     Yet Erie never really grew beyond it's humble beginnings and I wondered why.   Like any good sleuth I turned to the internet where I found mostly wrong answers.    Many people thought the port of Erie was to shallow to handle most

Don't leave the rural areas behind.

This blog was started because I had lived most of my life as an urban dweller; I wanted to record my adventures as I tried my hands at different things and I never pictured this blog would become what it did. Country life suits me in some ways.   I'm at a point in my life where I can appreciate looking up into the night sky and seeing thousands of stars, just like I did as a kid.   I just love how the moonlight bathes my beautiful sleeping wife in a creme colored light.   Country life is more peaceful and a lot more hard work than I would have ever expected.  While my neighbors and I may not agree politically or philosophically, my new lifestyle has given me insights on how they view the world. This brings me to my main point.   Here in rural America we simply don't have public transportation, nor do we have a lot of manufacturing or diversity or hospitals or even great education...and if we are going to move forward with a brighter greener future that we all want then we canno