Skip to main content

Generator Update and shortcuts

     A few months ago I found myself in a precarious position.  The lights had gone off for a tad more than 24 hours and I panicked.  You see, I work from home and hope to continue to work from home into the foreseeable future and to do that, I need a reliable source of power.  I am planning on NOT ever going to the Cleveland if I can help it.  

    My job is technically in downtown Cleveland, and we moved to Western PA to be closer to family and friends.  My mother, for example, passed shortly after we moved.  I

    So I spent a few days looking for a generator that could not only keep my up and running, but could also help keep the house warm by running our pellet stove and lights.   If you want, you can read more about how I ended up with the generator I did, here.  However long story short, it was important to me that I could keep my work PC on, a few lights, the pellet stove burning and maybe a TV and phone chargers

    I had also set a budget to get everything, including the hook up into the home electrical system at around $1500.   After getting some estimates by various electricians...it occurred to me that I was underestimating this project by roughly $500.

    Because I was going to exceed my budget and we didn't have another "serious blackout" yet, although we have had a few short minor outages of a minute or two.  In fact, according to a few people in the area; that was the first serious blackout in several years.

   The weather had also cooperated for the most part, in that we did not have a huge amount of snowfall yet this season, although we did get nine (9) inches one day, nor did we have drastic changes in temperatures.   Most days it hovers about 35 F (2 C).  

    Snow, cold, ice...all these things can contribute to a blackout in winter.   Or to put it in other words...things got pushed to the back burner as the memory of that blackout faded.  However I finally got around to getting the generator hooked up outside...a little differently then planned but it saved me money and effort and was done by a licensed and certified contractor, so I know it was done right.  The fact that he owed me a favor helped in the overall scheme of things too.

    All told, including buying the parts to put this puppy together, it cost me roughly $250 then what I had originally budgeted.  We also moved the generator to a much more secure sight then originally planned.  I'm calling this a WIN - WIN for me.

    The original plan was to drill a hole through the concrete block and set the generator on a pad.  Then come spring build a little box for it to protect it from the elements and hide the generator from prying eyes.    Now it sits secure in my locked shed and accessible to me when needed all because the shed was hooked up correctly by the previous owner.   Come a blackout, all I need to do is make a short hike and connect some things. 

    Now that being said, it's a little louder than I originally expected.  So far though, I'm happy with it.  Wen Generators are actually pretty easy to put together and operate.   While this next video is simply not the best example, it does provide with an idea of the size of the unit, how easy it was to put together - actually getting out of the box was the roughest part.  You may want to skip a head a bit in the video...I did, but it does give you pretty clear instructions on set up and procedure.


    I'm sure that sometime, somewhere I'm going to have to use this generator for something other than it's intended purpose..and I know that it is probably to much for my needs.  However if I am going to make a go at this rural lifestyle a generator is just one of those things that I need.  

    Its not exactly portable and it's loud...but it will keep my house warm, light and keep my ass working...and that is all I ask of it.

 

     

    

Comments

What all the cool kids are reading.

In praise of the simple pumpkin. It has a lot of potential other than pies.

As I write this the temperature is climbing.  We have a window or two open, knowing that soon enough we will be shutting up the house for the next three months or so we can protect ourselves and our cats against the onslaught of winter.   Our wood stove burned overnight to take the chill out of the air and I found myself buying new boots and gloves and driving home with the windows down. This is the nature of autumn in Western Pennsylvania and as I sip on my pumpkin flavored coffee, I cannot help but praise the fruit of the season, and yes it is a fruit, the simple pumpkin. A few things are still growing in our garden, the last of the herbs and tomatoes...a stray pepper or two that needs to be picked.  Yet I find myself interested in growing pumpkins next year after realizing their potential and that they are high in nutritional value.   It's easy to forget in our modern world just how easy we have it as compared to our great grandparents and their grandparents....

Dopamine fix and my take on AI.

When I sat down at the computer recently to type all of this out,  I let out frustrated sigh.    I had plans to release a completely different blog post long before this date but over the last two weeks or so I've done everything I could do but actually work on the yard, or write, or just do anything that was constructive. When you are moving towards a dream or an idea or...well anything really, you can't break the chain.  Even if it's just 10 minutes a day working, that is constructive.    I have an addiction.  It's not to drugs or alcohol and in a way that would be a bit more excusable.   I have an addiction to dopamine .    Dopamine simply is a chemical in your brain that makes you feel good, and it in turn unleashes other "pleasure" chemicals in your brain.  In my case it a program called Second Life,  (SL) which honestly, I used to be on all the time in the early 2000's.  It's hard to explain but the term multius...

A sense of time in place - traveling in Central PA

One of the first items that Sue and I bought as a couple all those years ago was a grandfather clock.  We used to snuggle under the blanket and listen to the chimes on the hour, the sound filling our house with a warmth and resonance.   That clock is nothing special, being simple in its design and technology.  It's accurate because of the beauty of physics and math...and is a lost art form in its own right. I thought a lot about time and place as we traveled this week.  I thought a lot about place.   Sue and I finally took a brief vacation recently.  Due to circumstances beyond our control, every plan we had made to get away earlier in the year came to naught.  My father became ill and ended up in the hospital which we decided to stay home "just in case."  He ended up in the hospital at least three times this past year, and I decided to spend what time I could with him. Family, after all, is what brought us back to Pennsylvania. We had p...