Skip to main content

Putting plans into acttion or DAMN, THIS IS GETTING PRICY

    

With everything that has been going on recently, the recent death of my mom and some changes in my job which required me to go through an intensive background check, getting a new roof - which should be happening this week hopefully -installed on the house and our new wood pellet stove installed next weekend (more on that in a bit).  I've simply not been able to move forward on some simple projects.   For example, I wanted to get the mulch pile for the gardens started in mid October.

    Now here it was, getting into late October/early November and I still didn't have any mulch piles started.  Nor do I think that I'll have them ready by spring.  For example, not only do I have to deal with my Dad's needs - he's currently living with my brother, which is roughly a 75 minute drive south of me - but I've meetings with a lawyer, insurance to sort out and other things.   Thanks do to an internal change in my company, I have to fingerprinted and undergo an intensive background check.  Bear in mind that I've been doing the same job for 2 years now, and due to some PC issues will have to make a drive to Cleveland, roughly 2 hours away, for new equipment.    Thank you cooperate America.   

    I know that I should not be bitching, all this is a nice distraction from mourning...but life goes on.

    I was looking forward to doing something with raised garden beds come the winter, they seem easy enough to build, however my experience with any building has been limited at best.   Till a friend of mine (Thanks Aaron) suggested the use of galvanized steel feed troughs.  Which if you sit and think about it, is solving a lot of problems for me right at the onset.

    The easiest of which is that I would not be cursing and swearing while trying to drive nails straight in the freezing cold.

    Sure the initial cost might be a bit high, but they are built to last a lifetime.  So they would pay for themselves over time.  Of course, I didn't want to end up planting $64 dollar tomatoes either.   For an exert on what I mean, read this.

    A galvanized steel trough that is two feet deep by two feet wide and six feet long (2 ft by 2ft by 6 ft) would be a lot of growing space and for what Sue and I wanted to do, which was basically provide enough food for her and myself, would be fine.   So of course, I wanted two troughs.   Plus, setting it up on blocks would allow some of the water to drain and make a nice damp environment for frogs and salamanders.  They could help keep the bug population in check.   

    Sue and I have done some container gardening in the past, just never to the degree we have planned, and gardening in Florida was a hit or miss proposition.  We were never able to get tomato's to grow for example.

     One thing that I was quickly learning is that our movement toward becoming more self sufficient was getting pricey.  The stock tanks alone could cost between $100 to $250 dollars depending on size.  However, if we were in this for the long haul like I hoped, it make sense.  Plus, if we played our cards right, it might be a deduction on the taxes.   STILL THOUGH, THEIR MUST BE A WAY TO DO IT CHEAPER!

    We needed to replace the original wood burning stove, installed in 1983, for a variety of reasons but mostly to bring the house up to modern code.  Sue ordered a wood pellet because it basically saved about $1000 dollars over the wood burner to have it installed..  I could not argue with her logic but I wanted to.  

    Not only was the cost to install it lower, but I already knew it would be easier to maintain.  However the costs to run it would roughly be the same.   Cords of wood go for around 150 bucks and we would need anywhere between 4 to 5 cords over the winter, luckily we had a good place to store it, outside behind the shed there was a 3 walled structure that was designed for that purpose alone.  

    Where as a ton of wood pellets, roughly 50 bags at 40 pounds apiece, run us about $250 and we would only need about 3 tons.   Plus they could be stored in our garage and I wouldn't need to get up at 3 AM to feed the fire.  Those could also be stored in the garage pretty easily.

   

Our original wood burning stove.

    So cost wise we would be looking at roughly the same price per year and not kill my self in the process.  She would not have to worry about spiders and other creepy things getting into our house as much.  Still though, we had slightly over 2 acres of land.  One good sized tree could keep us warm next winter after seasoning for bit.

    However a wood pellet stove does have one glaring disadvantage.  If the power goes out the blower and feeder don't work. 

    Where, at least with the wood burning stove, you have some ambient heat being generated.   Last year, people we know in the area lost power for 5 days.  The winter was not particularity brutal according to them, but that fact played on my mind.

    I started to poke around for generators.   I wanted to go battery operated if possible.   Now again, part of that was because a gas powered generator needs to sit outside.  Things like our freezer, refrigerator and the blower/feeder for the stove are actually in three different parts of the home.   

    A whole house generator, which again would solve a lot of issues, is between 3000 to 5000 dollars.   I don't have that type of money handy right now.

    Solar power or battery operated generators would be the way to go, the problem with that however, is charge time.  Solar power generators need several hours to recharge, batteries would run down and need recharged.  Again, we would be looking at some costs.  It's still a good solution but I need to learn more about electronics before I try making something myself.

    Susan reminded me, gently and on several different occasions, that it didn't have to be done today.  My thinking is that I would rather be prepared for the worst and never have to use any piece of equipment. As the sky's got greyer, I just hoped it was a mild, warm winter.

    We make it through the first winter, then I have 9 months to prepare for the next.

  

Comments

What all the cool kids are reading.

Maybe we need to rethink invasive species???

Hi. As the writer of the post and feel that I need to clarify something. I do not advocate the planting of invasive species. The point that I'm trying to make, and clearly didn't, is that perhaps we should be thinking about an invasive species in a different light. Apples, figs and other crops are clearly non native to America and Europe but are widely cultivated because they have use to humans as a food source, animal feed, etc. Kudzu is an edible plant and although it is clearly harmful can it be used someway by humans? It's a food source, it's been used as a cloth and is showing some use as a building material. All I'm trying to do is to create discussion on how we can use invasive plants in new ways.   It's mid April here in Western Pennsylvania and so far it's been warm and wet.  The buzz of lawnmowers fill the air as I gallivant through my back yard collecting dandelions to make some tea and bread with them.  I had always known that they w

Why didn't Erie, PA develop into a bigger city?

          Recently I had to travel up to Erie, PA for business.   It's about an hour north of me and is a rather small city, having just under 100 thousand people living in it.   It played an important role in the founding of America,  - where it was the headquarters for Oliver Perry's flagship Niagara during the battle of Like Erie in the war of 1812 .            It was also a important shipping center, being Pennsylvania's only access to the Great Lakes which was the easiest way to trade with parts of Canada at the time as well as move goods to the cities of Detroit and Chicago, which in the mid to early 1800's were just starting to develop.  It was also directly north from Pittsburgh which was a major industrial city at that time.     Yet Erie never really grew beyond it's humble beginnings and I wondered why.   Like any good sleuth I turned to the internet where I found mostly wrong answers.    Many people thought the port of Erie was to shallow to handle most

Don't leave the rural areas behind.

This blog was started because I had lived most of my life as an urban dweller; I wanted to record my adventures as I tried my hands at different things and I never pictured this blog would become what it did. Country life suits me in some ways.   I'm at a point in my life where I can appreciate looking up into the night sky and seeing thousands of stars, just like I did as a kid.   I just love how the moonlight bathes my beautiful sleeping wife in a creme colored light.   Country life is more peaceful and a lot more hard work than I would have ever expected.  While my neighbors and I may not agree politically or philosophically, my new lifestyle has given me insights on how they view the world. This brings me to my main point.   Here in rural America we simply don't have public transportation, nor do we have a lot of manufacturing or diversity or hospitals or even great education...and if we are going to move forward with a brighter greener future that we all want then we canno