Skip to main content

So, there I was minding my own business when.....

Life happens.

 

In this past month we have finally managed to paint a majority of the house.  We used a paint named "Cream in your coffee" on the walls now with an accent wall of grayish/green running throughout the length of the house.

Suddenly our walls are lighter and more vibrant.  Our house seems more like our home and not the former owner's residence.   It's just a series of home improvements that we have been working on since buying the house in September of last year.  


our original look

Some of those jobs have been major, others not so much but each job has increased the value of our home.  Sadly, for most Americans the home is going to be the most valuable thing they own, and for Susan and myself there may come a time when we can no longer due the upkeep on the home, and when that time comes, we can relax in the knowledge that all the major work was done when we were young.

I still want to do solar panels.

During the past month we also managed to get estimates on our driveway, which we were originally just going to seal but now realize that we have some serious issues and that it's better to do a repair work now than wait till the problem gets worse.  Other things that prevented me from blogging included cleaning gutters, computer issues (the old one died, and it took nearly a week to replace it), and power washing the house.

 Before you know it, a month goes by.

I also wish that I had some life altering subject to write about.... but I don't.  Sometimes life is just a series of events that happen in rapid sensation and all you can do is go with the flow.  

However, I did find a topic interesting online that basically asked "Do you regret moving to the country?"

If I am being honest with myself.   At times I do.  

 


Ages ago when I lived in the city I took public transportation up to the local grocery store, to work and into town for entertainment.  I saved money on gas and parking.   I had a variety of different restaurants to eat at.  

While my yard was small, my wife at the time and I still managed a small garden.  We were able to go to the movies or concerts without having to make it an entire day's event.  We had options.

Here in the country things just take more of your time and energy.  A computer issue required two trips into nearby Pittsburgh, resulting in nearly four hours of combined drivetime.  Not to mention the time with the technician and waiting.  Basically, an entire workday lost due to what ended up being a rather simple fix.   

While things may not cost more, you do have to consider issues of time and gas and distance.  Something as simple as going to get a loaf of bread becomes a lifestyle choice.   Is it easier and cheaper to make fresh bread?   Or is it simply easier to run to the store?  

When that store might be 30 minutes round-trip drive away, fresh bread becomes a more attractive alternative.   Not only is the homemade bread more economical, but it's also healthier for you.  


Then there are moments like yesterday.  I was standing in the back yard doing some yard work, the sun shining on my shoulders warmed my very soul.  The only sound was bird song.  No trains, no cars, no airplanes.  Just bird song.

I took a deep breath, and the air was fresh and clean; and you could just barely small lavender and mint. It's quiet here, it gives a man time to think.   

When I was growing up my farther would sometimes just sit out on our porch.  I wasn’t sure what he was thinking or doing.  I get it now.  I sit on our front porch with my coffee and take in the landscape or just watch the sun rays move slowly up the sky. 

I feel a sense of connection and pride.  This place is mine.  This place is where I belong.  I am connected to “home.” 

I’ve felt that before, but this is different.  This feels long term.  This feels like I belong here.

So, yea, I’ll continue to work on the garden and try to keep the deer at bay.  I’ll try to learn to chop wood or paint or put up back splash.  Because I’m home and there is no other place that I want to be. 

Comments

What all the cool kids are reading.

Why didn't Erie, PA develop into a bigger city?

          Recently I had to travel up to Erie, PA for business.   It's about an hour north of me and is a rather small city, having just under 100 thousand people living in it.   It played an important role in the founding of America,  - where it was the headquarters for Oliver Perry's flagship Niagara during the battle of Like Erie in the war of 1812 .            It was also a important shipping center, being Pennsylvania's only access to the Great Lakes which was the easiest way to trade with parts of Canada at the time as well as move goods to the cities of Detroit and Chicago, which in the mid to early 1800's were just starting to develop.  It was also directly north from Pittsburgh which was a major industrial city at that time.     Yet Erie never really grew beyond it's humble beginnings and I wondered why.   Like any good sleuth I turned to the internet where I found mostly wrong answers.    Many people thought the port of Erie was to shallow to handle most

Paradigm shifts and Project 2040

In 1906, Alfred Henry Lewis stated, “ There are only nine meals between mankind and anarchy. ” His observation has been echoed by people ever since and changed a bit over time, but has remained a stark warning. Only anarchy the way most people think of it rarely occurs.  We have found that people are more likely to band together when their communities face some sort of disaster, be it from war, plague or natural disaster.   We are all too familiar with pictures and videos of communities digging through the rubble of bombed buildings searching for survivors...but how many of us remember the moments during the Covid epidemic of people singing from their balconies?   When you have a community; people will always help people.  Despite these bleak times the things that make us human - our compassion - will see us through. Recently my life changed due to issues with a car .  While, in the scheme of things it was a minor crisis it did make me think if things could have been done differently,

Thinking about climate migration. It's the next big issue we will have to face.

Recently I learned that nearly two out of every three Americans have been affected in some way by climate change.  That 62% of Americans think climate change is currently having some sort of effect on their local community and economy. I mention this because climate change is one of the several reasons we moved from Tampa, Florida to Northwestern Pennsylvania a few years ago.   My wife, Susan, likes to tell the story of when it was 90 degrees (32 C) on New Year's day, which is an exaggeration but the point remains.  It was hot and humid on a day that really should not have been. It got so bad that even the natives were saying "It's to hot." Migration is defined as " The movement of a person or people from one country, locality, place of residence, etc., to settle in another ."  Thus Sue and myself became, without even realizing it "Climate migrant's." Now I want to make it perfectly clear that I'm not comparing Susan and myself to any