Skip to main content

So, there I was minding my own business when.....

Life happens.

 

In this past month we have finally managed to paint a majority of the house.  We used a paint named "Cream in your coffee" on the walls now with an accent wall of grayish/green running throughout the length of the house.

Suddenly our walls are lighter and more vibrant.  Our house seems more like our home and not the former owner's residence.   It's just a series of home improvements that we have been working on since buying the house in September of last year.  


our original look

Some of those jobs have been major, others not so much but each job has increased the value of our home.  Sadly, for most Americans the home is going to be the most valuable thing they own, and for Susan and myself there may come a time when we can no longer due the upkeep on the home, and when that time comes, we can relax in the knowledge that all the major work was done when we were young.

I still want to do solar panels.

During the past month we also managed to get estimates on our driveway, which we were originally just going to seal but now realize that we have some serious issues and that it's better to do a repair work now than wait till the problem gets worse.  Other things that prevented me from blogging included cleaning gutters, computer issues (the old one died, and it took nearly a week to replace it), and power washing the house.

 Before you know it, a month goes by.

I also wish that I had some life altering subject to write about.... but I don't.  Sometimes life is just a series of events that happen in rapid sensation and all you can do is go with the flow.  

However, I did find a topic interesting online that basically asked "Do you regret moving to the country?"

If I am being honest with myself.   At times I do.  

 


Ages ago when I lived in the city I took public transportation up to the local grocery store, to work and into town for entertainment.  I saved money on gas and parking.   I had a variety of different restaurants to eat at.  

While my yard was small, my wife at the time and I still managed a small garden.  We were able to go to the movies or concerts without having to make it an entire day's event.  We had options.

Here in the country things just take more of your time and energy.  A computer issue required two trips into nearby Pittsburgh, resulting in nearly four hours of combined drivetime.  Not to mention the time with the technician and waiting.  Basically, an entire workday lost due to what ended up being a rather simple fix.   

While things may not cost more, you do have to consider issues of time and gas and distance.  Something as simple as going to get a loaf of bread becomes a lifestyle choice.   Is it easier and cheaper to make fresh bread?   Or is it simply easier to run to the store?  

When that store might be 30 minutes round-trip drive away, fresh bread becomes a more attractive alternative.   Not only is the homemade bread more economical, but it's also healthier for you.  


Then there are moments like yesterday.  I was standing in the back yard doing some yard work, the sun shining on my shoulders warmed my very soul.  The only sound was bird song.  No trains, no cars, no airplanes.  Just bird song.

I took a deep breath, and the air was fresh and clean; and you could just barely small lavender and mint. It's quiet here, it gives a man time to think.   

When I was growing up my farther would sometimes just sit out on our porch.  I wasn’t sure what he was thinking or doing.  I get it now.  I sit on our front porch with my coffee and take in the landscape or just watch the sun rays move slowly up the sky. 

I feel a sense of connection and pride.  This place is mine.  This place is where I belong.  I am connected to “home.” 

I’ve felt that before, but this is different.  This feels long term.  This feels like I belong here.

So, yea, I’ll continue to work on the garden and try to keep the deer at bay.  I’ll try to learn to chop wood or paint or put up back splash.  Because I’m home and there is no other place that I want to be. 

Comments

What all the cool kids are reading.

In praise of the simple pumpkin. It has a lot of potential other than pies.

As I write this the temperature is climbing.  We have a window or two open, knowing that soon enough we will be shutting up the house for the next three months or so we can protect ourselves and our cats against the onslaught of winter.   Our wood stove burned overnight to take the chill out of the air and I found myself buying new boots and gloves and driving home with the windows down. This is the nature of autumn in Western Pennsylvania and as I sip on my pumpkin flavored coffee, I cannot help but praise the fruit of the season, and yes it is a fruit, the simple pumpkin. A few things are still growing in our garden, the last of the herbs and tomatoes...a stray pepper or two that needs to be picked.  Yet I find myself interested in growing pumpkins next year after realizing their potential and that they are high in nutritional value.   It's easy to forget in our modern world just how easy we have it as compared to our great grandparents and their grandparents....

Dopamine fix and my take on AI.

When I sat down at the computer recently to type all of this out,  I let out frustrated sigh.    I had plans to release a completely different blog post long before this date but over the last two weeks or so I've done everything I could do but actually work on the yard, or write, or just do anything that was constructive. When you are moving towards a dream or an idea or...well anything really, you can't break the chain.  Even if it's just 10 minutes a day working, that is constructive.    I have an addiction.  It's not to drugs or alcohol and in a way that would be a bit more excusable.   I have an addiction to dopamine .    Dopamine simply is a chemical in your brain that makes you feel good, and it in turn unleashes other "pleasure" chemicals in your brain.  In my case it a program called Second Life,  (SL) which honestly, I used to be on all the time in the early 2000's.  It's hard to explain but the term multius...

Rain and tears and those damned deer. Gardening can be painful.

“ None of us understand what we're doing, but we do beautiful things anyway.” ― Allen Ginsberg   The weatherman stated that we have not had any significant rainfall in over two weeks.  Nor did he see any relief in site. We are not in drought conditions yet, we are just unusually dry.  Interestingly enough, Pennsylvania should be getting warmer and wetter in the future if the climate models hold true.  If we narrow that down even more to my home town , the picture becomes even more interesting.   Solar Punk Pittsburgh For now though, I was worried about my garden.   It is not that big, I basically have a variety of containers around where I am maintaining lettuce, leeks, tomato's, peppers, strawberries, grapes, sunchokes (which I was really interested in growing) and a few other things.     Every garden needs to be watered and I played around with the idea of a r ain water collection systems before, we even had a simple one i...