Skip to main content

Adding an acre? Why we are considering buying some more land.

 There is an old saying that goes something like "You can never really own the land, you are only borrowing it from future generations."

The exact quote escapes me at the time of this writing.  However the sentiment holds true.   We are considering the possibility of buying our next door neighbors one acre lot. At one time Harvey, who long time readers of this blog know was helpful when we first moved into our home, lived there.

However the property and the trailer he lived in where showing signs of falling apart; when he moved unexpectedly the property fell into further disrepair.  For the past year or so, it has simply been empty.

Susan and I are considering buying it.   Partly because we can put another trailer on the land to rent if we wish, as the plumbing and electrical wiring is all ready in place and we don't believe the current property is worth saving.  That of course, means tearing the old one down.

Rents in our area are actually below the national average and where we are is at least 30 minutes away from larger towns and universities.  Which would make renting the property difficult but the idea does have some merit as it would create another source of income for us.  We are also the owners of a small trailer that could be moved onto this property easily.

Partly because this land could be used for a large garden if we ever decide to pursue that; or even for animals.  The idea of homesteading and self sufficient living does appeal to us both.  However we are both just part time homesteaders and only the front half of the half acre is suitable for a garden.

The back half is uneven ground and wooded.  It's also been used as a bit of a dump.

Harvey, for example had a horse on that land for several years.  This extra acre could possibly allow us to to raise chickens or even quail if we ever reach that level of commitment.  Perhaps even a small orchard consisting of a few fruit trees.

Only the front half of the acre however is clear of woods and the property as a whole would need some extensive cleanup.  

The current trailer has to go.

We have yet to contact the owner of the property or really seriously discussed the costs of such a venture.  Generally speaking the cost of 1 acre of land in about $30,000.  However that includes a livable home in most cases.   We don't believe this property is habitable nor would it be worth rehabbing. 

It's an idea that we are just starting to explore and we would be at least one more year from making any serious commitments.  We are still in the process of redoing our primary home and honesty I don't feel like I have enough time now to do everything that I want to do as it is.  Only now are we just finishing out kitchen and repainting the walls.   Leaving just a remodel of both our upstairs and downstairs bathroom to complete.  

Investing our money in these projects might make more sense in the long run, it's a good strategy for long term investments.  Like I stated above however, it depends on a few things and if we can obtain the property at a good price.  

Stay tuned.


 
This building might be worth saving


 

Comments

What all the cool kids are reading.

In praise of the simple pumpkin. It has a lot of potential other than pies.

As I write this the temperature is climbing.  We have a window or two open, knowing that soon enough we will be shutting up the house for the next three months or so we can protect ourselves and our cats against the onslaught of winter.   Our wood stove burned overnight to take the chill out of the air and I found myself buying new boots and gloves and driving home with the windows down. This is the nature of autumn in Western Pennsylvania and as I sip on my pumpkin flavored coffee, I cannot help but praise the fruit of the season, and yes it is a fruit, the simple pumpkin. A few things are still growing in our garden, the last of the herbs and tomatoes...a stray pepper or two that needs to be picked.  Yet I find myself interested in growing pumpkins next year after realizing their potential and that they are high in nutritional value.   It's easy to forget in our modern world just how easy we have it as compared to our great grandparents and their grandparents....

Dopamine fix and my take on AI.

When I sat down at the computer recently to type all of this out,  I let out frustrated sigh.    I had plans to release a completely different blog post long before this date but over the last two weeks or so I've done everything I could do but actually work on the yard, or write, or just do anything that was constructive. When you are moving towards a dream or an idea or...well anything really, you can't break the chain.  Even if it's just 10 minutes a day working, that is constructive.    I have an addiction.  It's not to drugs or alcohol and in a way that would be a bit more excusable.   I have an addiction to dopamine .    Dopamine simply is a chemical in your brain that makes you feel good, and it in turn unleashes other "pleasure" chemicals in your brain.  In my case it a program called Second Life,  (SL) which honestly, I used to be on all the time in the early 2000's.  It's hard to explain but the term multius...

Rain and tears and those damned deer. Gardening can be painful.

“ None of us understand what we're doing, but we do beautiful things anyway.” ― Allen Ginsberg   The weatherman stated that we have not had any significant rainfall in over two weeks.  Nor did he see any relief in site. We are not in drought conditions yet, we are just unusually dry.  Interestingly enough, Pennsylvania should be getting warmer and wetter in the future if the climate models hold true.  If we narrow that down even more to my home town , the picture becomes even more interesting.   Solar Punk Pittsburgh For now though, I was worried about my garden.   It is not that big, I basically have a variety of containers around where I am maintaining lettuce, leeks, tomato's, peppers, strawberries, grapes, sunchokes (which I was really interested in growing) and a few other things.     Every garden needs to be watered and I played around with the idea of a r ain water collection systems before, we even had a simple one i...