Skip to main content

Adding an acre? Why we are considering buying some more land.

 There is an old saying that goes something like "You can never really own the land, you are only borrowing it from future generations."

The exact quote escapes me at the time of this writing.  However the sentiment holds true.   We are considering the possibility of buying our next door neighbors one acre lot. At one time Harvey, who long time readers of this blog know was helpful when we first moved into our home, lived there.

However the property and the trailer he lived in where showing signs of falling apart; when he moved unexpectedly the property fell into further disrepair.  For the past year or so, it has simply been empty.

Susan and I are considering buying it.   Partly because we can put another trailer on the land to rent if we wish, as the plumbing and electrical wiring is all ready in place and we don't believe the current property is worth saving.  That of course, means tearing the old one down.

Rents in our area are actually below the national average and where we are is at least 30 minutes away from larger towns and universities.  Which would make renting the property difficult but the idea does have some merit as it would create another source of income for us.  We are also the owners of a small trailer that could be moved onto this property easily.

Partly because this land could be used for a large garden if we ever decide to pursue that; or even for animals.  The idea of homesteading and self sufficient living does appeal to us both.  However we are both just part time homesteaders and only the front half of the half acre is suitable for a garden.

The back half is uneven ground and wooded.  It's also been used as a bit of a dump.

Harvey, for example had a horse on that land for several years.  This extra acre could possibly allow us to to raise chickens or even quail if we ever reach that level of commitment.  Perhaps even a small orchard consisting of a few fruit trees.

Only the front half of the acre however is clear of woods and the property as a whole would need some extensive cleanup.  

The current trailer has to go.

We have yet to contact the owner of the property or really seriously discussed the costs of such a venture.  Generally speaking the cost of 1 acre of land in about $30,000.  However that includes a livable home in most cases.   We don't believe this property is habitable nor would it be worth rehabbing. 

It's an idea that we are just starting to explore and we would be at least one more year from making any serious commitments.  We are still in the process of redoing our primary home and honesty I don't feel like I have enough time now to do everything that I want to do as it is.  Only now are we just finishing out kitchen and repainting the walls.   Leaving just a remodel of both our upstairs and downstairs bathroom to complete.  

Investing our money in these projects might make more sense in the long run, it's a good strategy for long term investments.  Like I stated above however, it depends on a few things and if we can obtain the property at a good price.  

Stay tuned.


 
This building might be worth saving


 

Comments

What all the cool kids are reading.

Don't leave the rural areas behind.

This blog was started because I had lived most of my life as an urban dweller; I wanted to record my adventures as I tried my hands at different things and I never pictured this blog would become what it did. Country life suits me in some ways.   I'm at a point in my life where I can appreciate looking up into the night sky and seeing thousands of stars, just like I did as a kid.   I just love how the moonlight bathes my beautiful sleeping wife in a creme colored light.   Country life is more peaceful and a lot more hard work than I would have ever expected.  While my neighbors and I may not agree politically or philosophically, my new lifestyle has given me insights on how they view the world. This brings me to my main point.   Here in rural America we simply don't have public transportation, nor do we have a lot of manufacturing or diversity or hospitals or even great education...and if we are going to move forward with a brighter greener future that we all want then we canno

Maybe we need to rethink invasive species???

Hi. As the writer of the post and feel that I need to clarify something. I do not advocate the planting of invasive species. The point that I'm trying to make, and clearly didn't, is that perhaps we should be thinking about an invasive species in a different light. Apples, figs and other crops are clearly non native to America and Europe but are widely cultivated because they have use to humans as a food source, animal feed, etc. Kudzu is an edible plant and although it is clearly harmful can it be used someway by humans? It's a food source, it's been used as a cloth and is showing some use as a building material. All I'm trying to do is to create discussion on how we can use invasive plants in new ways.   It's mid April here in Western Pennsylvania and so far it's been warm and wet.  The buzz of lawnmowers fill the air as I gallivant through my back yard collecting dandelions to make some tea and bread with them.  I had always known that they w

Why didn't Erie, PA develop into a bigger city?

          Recently I had to travel up to Erie, PA for business.   It's about an hour north of me and is a rather small city, having just under 100 thousand people living in it.   It played an important role in the founding of America,  - where it was the headquarters for Oliver Perry's flagship Niagara during the battle of Like Erie in the war of 1812 .            It was also a important shipping center, being Pennsylvania's only access to the Great Lakes which was the easiest way to trade with parts of Canada at the time as well as move goods to the cities of Detroit and Chicago, which in the mid to early 1800's were just starting to develop.  It was also directly north from Pittsburgh which was a major industrial city at that time.     Yet Erie never really grew beyond it's humble beginnings and I wondered why.   Like any good sleuth I turned to the internet where I found mostly wrong answers.    Many people thought the port of Erie was to shallow to handle most