Skip to main content

Thinking about climate migration. It's the next big issue we will have to face.

Recently I learned that nearly two out of every three Americans have been affected in some way by climate change.  That 62% of Americans think climate change is currently having some sort of effect on their local community and economy.

I mention this because climate change is one of the several reasons we moved from Tampa, Florida to Northwestern Pennsylvania a few years ago.   My wife, Susan, likes to tell the story of when it was 90 degrees (32 C) on New Year's day, which is an exaggeration but the point remains.  It was hot and humid on a day that really should not have been.

It got so bad that even the natives were saying "It's to hot."

Migration is defined as "The movement of a person or people from one country, locality, place of residence, etc., to settle in another."  Thus Sue and myself became, without even realizing it "Climate migrant's."


Now I want to make it perfectly clear that I'm not comparing Susan and myself to anyone that is an immigrant, sometimes they travel thousands of miles through horrible conditions and often leave family members behind all in search of a better life in some manner.  Nor are we comparing ourselves to refugee's; people who
have been forced to leave their country in order to escape war, persecution or natural disaster.

The only difference between an immigrant and a migrant are country of origin.  Often the term immigrant is used as a political distinction and a slur by politicians.  It should not be.  Immigrant's may also speak a different language, practice a different religion or have a different skin color but that's it.  That's it.

Let me stress that again; the only difference between those two terms is immigrant is defined by country of origin, other wise the terms are interchangeable; and often are.  

I bring this up because it's important to realize that climate change is a global problem and as we discuss climate migration in this blog post it is necessary to remember that today's immigration issues will only grow worse as the planet warms and changes.  People will always seek a better life somewhere else.  

We American's have simply been blessed by our geology, climate and natural resources.  There is no manifest destiny, no exceptionalism.  Just luck.

However I'm not going to address immigration or refugee's due to climate, but I do want you to keep that in the back of your mind as I discuss climate migration.  


Despite the comic undertones of the video, it does bring up some good points.  People are moving to "Climate Haven" cities like Duluth; as well as other cities like Buffalo, Ann Arbor, and even my home town of Pittsburgh.

However as mentioned in the Daily Show piece, no where is truly safe from Climate Change and the challenges facing these cities are vast as well.  

The video also didn't state something that needs to be stated.  My wife and I were able to move due to our financial status.  Most or the movement in the foreseeable future will be done by people with the means to do so.

So what makes something a climate haven anyway?

Simply put it's an area that is relatively safe from extreme weather events.  These are places that will be affected by climate change, but should not be affected by extreme flooding, wildfires or hurricanes.  It's been estimated that between 2000 and 2020 there were some 3.2 million people that moved out of high risk flood area's alone.  

These places tend to be in the Midwest.  

Even though Pittsburgh and it's citizens don't consider ourselves as being part of the "Midwest" we are still considered a Climate Haven.  So I'm going to look at some of our challenges, advantages and disadvantages to that claim.  


My little part of the world is expected to get warmer and wetter in the coming years, however since Pittsburgh and the surrounding areas are blessed with a hilly terrain and a history of flood control measures; we are generally at a low risk of flooding.  

What surprised me is the number's of homes that are susceptible to wild fires in the area, and again this may have to due to our unique geography.  We tend to have wooded areas due to the hillsides, several green spaces and parks that date back 100 years or more.  Homeowners still should take proper precautions however to protect their homes from the possibility of wildfires.  

Pittsburgh is also a city of neighborhoods, each with a quint charm and many are considered to be "15 minute neighborhoods" well before the invention of the term.  Like all cities however some areas are just not as developed as other parts. 

Still though, Pittsburgh has a lot going for it.  However it has, like many "rust belt" cities, issues with aging infrastructure; like our many bridges, aging sewer systems, roads and energy sources.  My fair city however is a leader in "Green Building" technology and innovation however.  We are also a poster child for climate conscious planning

Its that same advancement in technology and medicine that Pittsburgh is known for however that some fear will "price out" the average home buyer in the future.  I know that my home here in the "boondocks" would cost between $100 to 150,000 dollars more if I owned the same property in the city.  Nor would we have the land we do now.

 Pittsburgh is taking its time and preparing for future growth and a possible influx of climate migrates.  Well it's an approach that may not be "sexy" it's certainly one that will pay off the biggest benefits in the future.  

Like it or not the influx of people fleeing climate change will happen.  At first, it will be people like myself and my wife; then immigrates and climate refugee's.   The more we prepare, the better off we shall be.

So get involved with your local community and work towards a better future for everyone.


Comments

What all the cool kids are reading.

Don't leave the rural areas behind.

This blog was started because I had lived most of my life as an urban dweller; I wanted to record my adventures as I tried my hands at different things and I never pictured this blog would become what it did. Country life suits me in some ways.   I'm at a point in my life where I can appreciate looking up into the night sky and seeing thousands of stars, just like I did as a kid.   I just love how the moonlight bathes my beautiful sleeping wife in a creme colored light.   Country life is more peaceful and a lot more hard work than I would have ever expected.  While my neighbors and I may not agree politically or philosophically, my new lifestyle has given me insights on how they view the world. This brings me to my main point.   Here in rural America we simply don't have public transportation, nor do we have a lot of manufacturing or diversity or hospitals or even great education...and if we are going to move forward with a brighter greener future that we all want then we canno

Maybe we need to rethink invasive species???

Hi. As the writer of the post and feel that I need to clarify something. I do not advocate the planting of invasive species. The point that I'm trying to make, and clearly didn't, is that perhaps we should be thinking about an invasive species in a different light. Apples, figs and other crops are clearly non native to America and Europe but are widely cultivated because they have use to humans as a food source, animal feed, etc. Kudzu is an edible plant and although it is clearly harmful can it be used someway by humans? It's a food source, it's been used as a cloth and is showing some use as a building material. All I'm trying to do is to create discussion on how we can use invasive plants in new ways.   It's mid April here in Western Pennsylvania and so far it's been warm and wet.  The buzz of lawnmowers fill the air as I gallivant through my back yard collecting dandelions to make some tea and bread with them.  I had always known that they w

Why didn't Erie, PA develop into a bigger city?

          Recently I had to travel up to Erie, PA for business.   It's about an hour north of me and is a rather small city, having just under 100 thousand people living in it.   It played an important role in the founding of America,  - where it was the headquarters for Oliver Perry's flagship Niagara during the battle of Like Erie in the war of 1812 .            It was also a important shipping center, being Pennsylvania's only access to the Great Lakes which was the easiest way to trade with parts of Canada at the time as well as move goods to the cities of Detroit and Chicago, which in the mid to early 1800's were just starting to develop.  It was also directly north from Pittsburgh which was a major industrial city at that time.     Yet Erie never really grew beyond it's humble beginnings and I wondered why.   Like any good sleuth I turned to the internet where I found mostly wrong answers.    Many people thought the port of Erie was to shallow to handle most