Skip to main content

Making plans for the spring, keeping it small and simple this year.

I feel like an old man as I watch the blustery snow swirl outside my window.  I'm wrapped in a warm sweater, drinking an aromatic herbal tea and I am at peace.  "All I am missing," I think to myself, "is a pipe and my cranky old man persona would be complete.

Winter gives me time to think.   

I hate the winter, the cold and the dark of it.  I hate the short days, the snow and the cold rain.  I hate the very thought of dealing with it.

It was winter that drove me south all those years ago.

We have yet to have a harsh winter since moving back to Western Pennsylvania.  We have had cold snaps and snow of course, but the snaps haven't settled in for months and the snow - while heavy at times - has generally melted away quickly.  This has made the winter bearable for me.

Winter gives me a break, a moment to stop and catch my breath before the busy seasons begin again.  Lately I've been thinking about work and what I have to do come spring; such as cleaning up the yard, power washing our home and splitting trees.

Putting in a garden this year is not at the top of that list.  

I've also been thinking about what I want to do to enjoy life.  Planting a garden, while smart and environmentally friendly, isn't really something I enjoy.

Well I do enjoy gardening and eating the fruit of our labors, the last two years have seen our garden ravaged by deer; some things either never developed or grew as expected, while other things were not used to the extent that we expected.  For example, we expected to use more lettuce than we actually did and most of the lettuce simply bolted.  

https://growinginthegarden.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/11/Container-sizes-800-x-450-px-8-768x432.png.webp

This was a conscious decision on my part to let the lettuce flower in order to feed the bees and other insects, which we did not see many off this past season and I cannot help but wonder if it's due to our neighbors and their surrounding acres of grass, basically creating a desert.  

We even planted pollinator friendly flowers and still we attracted only a few bees.  To say that my garden these last few years has frustrated me is an understatement. 

Even though I had planned to plant some fruit trees this last growing season, I failed to do that.   In fact, I ended up having to take a few additional trees down and now I am faced with the hard work of splitting the logs and storing them for some future use.  Which means reorganizing where I've stored the wood in the past to make it not only more accessible but manageable.  

I do plan on doing some of this if the weather breaks before the spring, but it seems unlikely. 

However I may have access to an earth auger come spring and a buddy that has offered to help, so if he does, planting two or three tress would be much easier; as well as putting in a trellis for grapes and berries.  If not, then I still have my old post hole digger.  If all this costs me is a pizza and a few beers then I'm all in on this plan as it will save me labor and time.  

The last true project I have in mind is that I want to convert a tree stump into an outdoor table.  Which should not be that difficult although it can be time consuming. Nor do I have all the tools that are needed, but I'm sure that I should be able to obtain them from either friends or family, plus I've found that once I own a tool I will always find another use for it.    Such is the wonder of country life.



Susan and I are planning on going north or west on a brief trip to watch the full eclipse of the sun in April and we may take a week to go traveling as well.  This would be through the state of Ohio and I'm curious to see what I may have missed, never really spending time inside Ohio other than brief trips through it or to Cleveland and Columbus.

Before you know it, summer will be upon us again.   Then fall.  The endless march of the seasons that have gone on for time immemorial and the connection between man and nature that somehow we lost with the advent of Modern Life.

Another winter will be upon us, and I simply must have more to show for it than I did this year.  If I manage to do these three things this year, I'll consider it a successful year.  


Comments

What all the cool kids are reading.

Maybe we need to rethink invasive species???

Hi. As the writer of the post and feel that I need to clarify something. I do not advocate the planting of invasive species. The point that I'm trying to make, and clearly didn't, is that perhaps we should be thinking about an invasive species in a different light. Apples, figs and other crops are clearly non native to America and Europe but are widely cultivated because they have use to humans as a food source, animal feed, etc. Kudzu is an edible plant and although it is clearly harmful can it be used someway by humans? It's a food source, it's been used as a cloth and is showing some use as a building material. All I'm trying to do is to create discussion on how we can use invasive plants in new ways.   It's mid April here in Western Pennsylvania and so far it's been warm and wet.  The buzz of lawnmowers fill the air as I gallivant through my back yard collecting dandelions to make some tea and bread with them.  I had always known that they w

Why didn't Erie, PA develop into a bigger city?

          Recently I had to travel up to Erie, PA for business.   It's about an hour north of me and is a rather small city, having just under 100 thousand people living in it.   It played an important role in the founding of America,  - where it was the headquarters for Oliver Perry's flagship Niagara during the battle of Like Erie in the war of 1812 .            It was also a important shipping center, being Pennsylvania's only access to the Great Lakes which was the easiest way to trade with parts of Canada at the time as well as move goods to the cities of Detroit and Chicago, which in the mid to early 1800's were just starting to develop.  It was also directly north from Pittsburgh which was a major industrial city at that time.     Yet Erie never really grew beyond it's humble beginnings and I wondered why.   Like any good sleuth I turned to the internet where I found mostly wrong answers.    Many people thought the port of Erie was to shallow to handle most

Don't leave the rural areas behind.

This blog was started because I had lived most of my life as an urban dweller; I wanted to record my adventures as I tried my hands at different things and I never pictured this blog would become what it did. Country life suits me in some ways.   I'm at a point in my life where I can appreciate looking up into the night sky and seeing thousands of stars, just like I did as a kid.   I just love how the moonlight bathes my beautiful sleeping wife in a creme colored light.   Country life is more peaceful and a lot more hard work than I would have ever expected.  While my neighbors and I may not agree politically or philosophically, my new lifestyle has given me insights on how they view the world. This brings me to my main point.   Here in rural America we simply don't have public transportation, nor do we have a lot of manufacturing or diversity or hospitals or even great education...and if we are going to move forward with a brighter greener future that we all want then we canno