Skip to main content

Between the rock and a hard place

This is the "personal" piece that I didn't plan on writing at all.

I keep this blog to help me sort out the jumble of thoughts and emotions that are always bouncing around my head and for the sake of history.  For example, I knew I suffered from depression when I went back and read my personal journals; noticing how I was always bitching about the same things but never doing anything to change it.  

The old saying about repeating the same pattern and expecting different results is very true.  Once I broke out of those patterns (with help from a mental health professional) my life got a whole hell of a lot better.  Thus it sort of pains me to see me considering going back into a career that I never expected to be in the first place.

Call Centers/Customer Service have been what I've done for the majority of my life.  When the pandemic came, I was able to work form home, and I got used to sitting around in my PJ's drinking my coffee and answering call after call about the same crap all the time.

In the last 15 years of call center life, I've been working more with professionals than I have been the public as a whole.  That meant that I've been a mentor, a trainer and a problem solver.   My job could be interesting, it could be challenging and it was always steady work.

However when I started my last position with the The Company (I do not wish to speak ill of them) I was also exposed to the biggest disadvantage to Call Center life.  That's when you are dealing with idiots most of the day that are either to dumb to read the instructions, are not trained properly to do their job in the first place or simply lazy and would rather you do their jobs for them.    

Nor did I think the company knew what to do with me.   I had been a successful licensed agent, and they had lots of former agents on their teams.  Yet not keeping our licensing current, or even allowing to know the details of a particular program (we were NOT appointed to the Company) never made sense to me.  

There are some advantages however, for example I realized that my car was sitting in the garage day after day, sometimes not being driven for weeks at at time.  This was saving me a ton of guzzolen and money.   Since I was trying to eat a plant based diet, it was easier to make the meals that I wanted to eat at home.  Plus I saved money by not having to buy my meal if I forgot my lunch or breakfast.

Well I never did the numbers myself it's been estimated that working from home full time cuts the average carbon footprint by up to 54%.  Hybrid work depends on the number of days you are working from home but even then it can be as high as 29%.    Again every little bit helps!

The Company was basically wanting me to travel back and forth to Cleveland.  While a few days a month were certainly acceptable, when would it turn into everyday?  That specter was always on the horizon.  And even if I wanted to move into a new position, they required that you be within 50 miles of Cleveland, which I am not.

It's been nearly six months since I voluntary left my job with "The Company", and the job that I work now does offer some nice benefits like actually talking to people about something other than work.  I need human contact more than I thought I did.

The job that I work now is really low stress, as long as I hit my numbers (and I often exceed those numbers because I've been doing sales/customer service all my life).  I'm left alone to my own devices because sales is all about listening.  The customer will tell you what they want, you just have to hear them.  

However this is a job where I am expected to work weekends, which makes planning things with friends and family a bit difficult as well as not have a set schedule.  In other words, I may work different shifts on different days.   Again, this makes life outside of work difficult to plan.

Pay wise, I'm actually getting paid less than I was at "The Company".  Then you have to figure in the costs of commuting, what happens if I forget to bring a lunch, etc.  Luckily Susan and I always lived below our means and have not had to dip into our savings, however we are not adding to them either.  It's been estimated that the average remote worker saves about $6000 a year.  Certainly nothing to sneeze at and that money can be invested in a variety of different ways. 

As I approach retirement I know that money would come in handy.

In other words, this current job is costing me.  Well Sue and I have always lived at this level (which was previously below our means), it's only going to be a matter of time before we have to dip into our savings or make some hard choices.   For example, my car is paid off in full but if we needed to replace it we would not be able to afford a new car payment.

There are remote and hybrid jobs out there, and I just needed to get off my ass and apply for them.   So it's the rock and the hard place.   I basically need to work 10 more years before I can retire...and I am just not sure if I want to go back to being tethered to a desk and dealing with issues all day.  Even though it makes economic sense for me to do so.


So....what do I do?  Logically I need to go back into the field before AI makes me obsolete.  However I really don't want to, and I also know that I can't stay in the local area or field that I'm in now.   In moving to the country we accepted that we would be moving to a depressed area, and jobs are available here...but they simply pay less than what I was making before.

Plus honestly that means updating the resume, getting a new e-mail as my current ones are so full of spam I rarely, if ever, touch them.  

I made mistakes....now I have to correct them.  It really is that simple.  I just don't know what to do...and I am afraid of starting over but staying still is really not an option.  


Comments

What all the cool kids are reading.

In praise of the simple pumpkin. It has a lot of potential other than pies.

As I write this the temperature is climbing.  We have a window or two open, knowing that soon enough we will be shutting up the house for the next three months or so we can protect ourselves and our cats against the onslaught of winter.   Our wood stove burned overnight to take the chill out of the air and I found myself buying new boots and gloves and driving home with the windows down. This is the nature of autumn in Western Pennsylvania and as I sip on my pumpkin flavored coffee, I cannot help but praise the fruit of the season, and yes it is a fruit, the simple pumpkin. A few things are still growing in our garden, the last of the herbs and tomatoes...a stray pepper or two that needs to be picked.  Yet I find myself interested in growing pumpkins next year after realizing their potential and that they are high in nutritional value.   It's easy to forget in our modern world just how easy we have it as compared to our great grandparents and their grandparents....

Dopamine fix and my take on AI.

When I sat down at the computer recently to type all of this out,  I let out frustrated sigh.    I had plans to release a completely different blog post long before this date but over the last two weeks or so I've done everything I could do but actually work on the yard, or write, or just do anything that was constructive. When you are moving towards a dream or an idea or...well anything really, you can't break the chain.  Even if it's just 10 minutes a day working, that is constructive.    I have an addiction.  It's not to drugs or alcohol and in a way that would be a bit more excusable.   I have an addiction to dopamine .    Dopamine simply is a chemical in your brain that makes you feel good, and it in turn unleashes other "pleasure" chemicals in your brain.  In my case it a program called Second Life,  (SL) which honestly, I used to be on all the time in the early 2000's.  It's hard to explain but the term multius...

A sense of time in place - traveling in Central PA

One of the first items that Sue and I bought as a couple all those years ago was a grandfather clock.  We used to snuggle under the blanket and listen to the chimes on the hour, the sound filling our house with a warmth and resonance.   That clock is nothing special, being simple in its design and technology.  It's accurate because of the beauty of physics and math...and is a lost art form in its own right. I thought a lot about time and place as we traveled this week.  I thought a lot about place.   Sue and I finally took a brief vacation recently.  Due to circumstances beyond our control, every plan we had made to get away earlier in the year came to naught.  My father became ill and ended up in the hospital which we decided to stay home "just in case."  He ended up in the hospital at least three times this past year, and I decided to spend what time I could with him. Family, after all, is what brought us back to Pennsylvania. We had p...