Skip to main content

COP 28 is already a failure - Capitalism over Science

It hasn't been reported much by the national news here in the States; that COP 28, or the 28th meeting of the United Nations Conference of the Parties (COP) to the United Nations Climate Change Conference is currently being held in Dubai, a major oil producing country (more on that in a bit).  It is open to  "Business leaders, young people, climate scientists, Indigenous Peoples, journalists, and various other experts and stakeholders" in the future of our planet.  

It's meeting in a variety of ways current ongoing from November 30 through the 12 of December this year.  So as I'm writing this it's still ongoing and already simplifying complex and complimented decisions, creating empty promises, possibly committing or planning to commit fraud and full of controversy.

It's been a failure on the environmental front for a variety of reasons.

The idea of COP28 is a simple one according to the UN; it is to allow the major players and countries in the world to take stock of what's been accomplished so far and what course corrections need to be made in the future to fight climate change.

So when you stop laughing let's take a look at some of the things the COP 28 has accomplished so far....

  • A call for accelerating action - According to the COP's own records, while several nations are doing their part to reduce global warming to 2019 levels - we are only reducing it by 2%.  Whereas the established science is indicating that we as a planet need to be around a 43% reduction to stay under the 1.5C (that's an increase of roughly 3 F) limit, often considered the "point of no return." That increase is going to occur in our lifetimes.
  • Transforming climate finance - Honestly this is a big one and hopefully something better than what is in place now can be accomplished.   It won't be a major change, but something is always better than nothing.   Long story short the countries of the world that will be most affected by climate change are the small island countries of the Pacific and the Caribbean (some of which could literally sink under the tides of a rising ocean).   In other cases you will see climate migration as millions of people head to the cooler north seeking a more stable life.   The UAE has promised 30 Billion but the funds will be handled by worldwide investment firms, however most of the investment is in established companies and very little of the investment is going to the countries that need it the most. A lot of countries have "pledged" money but a pledge is simply a token agreement.
  • A declaration to triple Nuclear Energy - Sometimes you have to make a deal with the devil.  It's generally acknowledged that Nuclear Energy is going to help reduce our reliance on fossil fuels, but it comes with a lot of baggage.  Again this benefits the developed countries of the world, but does not address the less developed nations of the world.  Setting up nuclear power plants that would benefit developing countries is not politically possible in most cases for a variety of reasons.

 COP 28 is an acknowledgement that our world is in trouble, and that something has to be done, which is progress considering most people really didn't know about the twenty seven previous COP meetings or felt the need to report on them.


 Sadly though...none of this is being taken that seriously by our "leaders." 

The Canadian beef industry for example presented a talk on why beef should stay on the menu for most of the world's population, even questioning a large of amount of data showing that a plant based diet is not only better for the individuals health but that it reduces greenhouse gasses.   The Beef Industry of Canada however produced $38.5 Billion dollars for the country and employs some 647,000 people.    

You have to wonder how many of those 90,000 people attending this event has the best interests of humanity in mind, and how many of them want to maintain the status quo.  I understand their concern, not only would Canada's economy suffer but over 600 thousand people would lose their jobs seemingly overnight if radical change would occur.   We don't have much choice in the matter though do we?

Recently the President of COP 28 - Dubai's Sultan Al Jaber, who just happens to be an oil executive, stated that there was "no science"  that says phasing out fossil fuels is necessary to keep global warming under the critical threshold of 1.5 C.   Only there is a lot of good science that does.  Add to that leaked notes indicating that United Arab Emirates was planning on using the COP 28 to make oil and gas deals; one must wonder how serious they actually are about climate change.  

ABC News is reporting that at least 1,300 attendees at the COP are employees of fossil fuel interests.   Overall it's a small number as COP28 has some 90,000 attendee's, but this number is significant because we have to ask what they are advocating for.

 I'm not a dreamer, I'm not a fool but this business as usual stance simply is failing us.   Radical change is going to be necessary or it's going to be forced upon us.  

I'm not talking about the government forcing changes upon us but nature itself forcing radical change.  Doctors and pathologists already are expressing concern about "zombie" microbes frozen for generations is permafrost being released, and how over half of the known diseases are aggravated by global warming.  

It's been estimated that 3 million people died from COVID.  Imagine a pandemic that kills 6 million, or up to 9 million, because that is completely within the realm of possibility.

So if we can't count on our so called leaders...where that does leave the average citizen on the street?

Well we can hide our heads in the sand, accept our fate and live like there will be no tomorrow...or do what we can.

A long time ago I decided to do what I can; a blog like this serves not only as a warning but as a beacon of hope.  Planting trees or a garden, canning fruits and veggies, storing seeds, seed bombing, riding a bike to work, taking a bus, eating a plant based diet and a 1001 little things can make a difference in your community.

Because the individual does matter and a single voice can join a choir and that choir can be heard.  

Because Community does matter.  Because your family does matter.  Because little actions matter.  

I'm not going to lie, things are bad and are going to get worse...but they will get a lot worse if you do nothing.   Radical change has to begin somewhere and it needs to start now. 

Comments

What all the cool kids are reading.

In praise of the simple pumpkin. It has a lot of potential other than pies.

As I write this the temperature is climbing.  We have a window or two open, knowing that soon enough we will be shutting up the house for the next three months or so we can protect ourselves and our cats against the onslaught of winter.   Our wood stove burned overnight to take the chill out of the air and I found myself buying new boots and gloves and driving home with the windows down. This is the nature of autumn in Western Pennsylvania and as I sip on my pumpkin flavored coffee, I cannot help but praise the fruit of the season, and yes it is a fruit, the simple pumpkin. A few things are still growing in our garden, the last of the herbs and tomatoes...a stray pepper or two that needs to be picked.  Yet I find myself interested in growing pumpkins next year after realizing their potential and that they are high in nutritional value.   It's easy to forget in our modern world just how easy we have it as compared to our great grandparents and their grandparents....

Dopamine fix and my take on AI.

When I sat down at the computer recently to type all of this out,  I let out frustrated sigh.    I had plans to release a completely different blog post long before this date but over the last two weeks or so I've done everything I could do but actually work on the yard, or write, or just do anything that was constructive. When you are moving towards a dream or an idea or...well anything really, you can't break the chain.  Even if it's just 10 minutes a day working, that is constructive.    I have an addiction.  It's not to drugs or alcohol and in a way that would be a bit more excusable.   I have an addiction to dopamine .    Dopamine simply is a chemical in your brain that makes you feel good, and it in turn unleashes other "pleasure" chemicals in your brain.  In my case it a program called Second Life,  (SL) which honestly, I used to be on all the time in the early 2000's.  It's hard to explain but the term multius...

Rain and tears and those damned deer. Gardening can be painful.

“ None of us understand what we're doing, but we do beautiful things anyway.” ― Allen Ginsberg   The weatherman stated that we have not had any significant rainfall in over two weeks.  Nor did he see any relief in site. We are not in drought conditions yet, we are just unusually dry.  Interestingly enough, Pennsylvania should be getting warmer and wetter in the future if the climate models hold true.  If we narrow that down even more to my home town , the picture becomes even more interesting.   Solar Punk Pittsburgh For now though, I was worried about my garden.   It is not that big, I basically have a variety of containers around where I am maintaining lettuce, leeks, tomato's, peppers, strawberries, grapes, sunchokes (which I was really interested in growing) and a few other things.     Every garden needs to be watered and I played around with the idea of a r ain water collection systems before, we even had a simple one i...