Skip to main content

Teri McDonough Wilson - now memories are all I have

 I don't have a photograph of her.


That's what I remember thinking when I learned she had recently passed.  I'm sure somewhere in the boxes scattered throughout my life here in Western Pennsylvania is a picture of Teri and I.  We were married 10 days after September 11th, 2001.  

I still remember the day of our marriage, as we scrambled to make sure that we had a back up best man and a back up "father to give away the bride" just in case my best man, who was in the Air Force at the time; and her brother (Navy) were called off to active duty.

It was a wonderful open air wedding with great food and lots of dancing and seemed like a great start to our lives. Two young people ready to take on the world.   Needless to say, the world won.

Our relationship started off well but by the economic collapse of 2007/2008 we started to show signs of stress.  Sadly I lost my job and fell into a deep depression, I often say that I was "frozen" as I seemed unable to take care of even the most basic of tasks.   She had her own concerns and instead of being partners to help each other through this mess....we moved in two different directions.

I knew it was over when I went to visit her in a hospital after she had some sort of procedure done...and all we could do was scream at each other.

I moved out of the house we shared in Pittsburgh and pretty much left everything to her.  Shortly after I moved to Florida on a whim and found myself starting over.

I don't even have a photograph of us.

Time heals all wounds and we moved on.   Slowly we started to talk to each other again.  She and I met other people, she got the family that she always wanted and become an adopted mother and grandmother to a large family.  Somehow we become friends and forgave each other for the pain and hurt that we caused each other.

I knew she was happy as she cooked for this new found family, and taught the youngest generation how to cook.   To know Teri was to be fed by Teri.   I last spoke to her on Thanksgiving day....and we talked about an hour or so, about family and being thankful and yes; about food too.

Our mutual love of food was one of the reasons we found each other, as was our silly sense of humor.  We danced in kitchens, in parks and on street corners because we could and it was fun.  She was one of the few people in my life that I can honestly say caused me to belly laugh consistently. 

Sadly Teri's health was always a concern.  She had been born with a hole in her heart, a physical condition because spirit wise her heart was never ill.  Her brother put it best at the funeral.  A hole in the heart is a contagious condition.

She had two heart attacks during out marriage, and a horrible miscarriage.  I came home from work that day and thought I entered a murder scene.  I nearly fainted when I learned that I was going to be a father.

Still though, we had dogs and cats running about.  We had friends and wonderful dinners and more good days than bad. 

I'll miss her.  

Her death was unexpected, despite her health, and somehow this seems to be affecting me harder than it should.  It's been years since I last saw her...and our lives are truly separate now.   Yet, she kept my last name all this time.

I just always expected her to be there.   Much like I expect my beloved Susan to always be there for me.

A part of me has, and will, always love her.  Good night Teri.

Photos of Teri are available here if you would like to have an idea of the type of person she was.

Comments

What all the cool kids are reading.

Maybe we need to rethink invasive species???

Hi. As the writer of the post and feel that I need to clarify something. I do not advocate the planting of invasive species. The point that I'm trying to make, and clearly didn't, is that perhaps we should be thinking about an invasive species in a different light. Apples, figs and other crops are clearly non native to America and Europe but are widely cultivated because they have use to humans as a food source, animal feed, etc. Kudzu is an edible plant and although it is clearly harmful can it be used someway by humans? It's a food source, it's been used as a cloth and is showing some use as a building material. All I'm trying to do is to create discussion on how we can use invasive plants in new ways.   It's mid April here in Western Pennsylvania and so far it's been warm and wet.  The buzz of lawnmowers fill the air as I gallivant through my back yard collecting dandelions to make some tea and bread with them.  I had always known that they w

Why didn't Erie, PA develop into a bigger city?

          Recently I had to travel up to Erie, PA for business.   It's about an hour north of me and is a rather small city, having just under 100 thousand people living in it.   It played an important role in the founding of America,  - where it was the headquarters for Oliver Perry's flagship Niagara during the battle of Like Erie in the war of 1812 .            It was also a important shipping center, being Pennsylvania's only access to the Great Lakes which was the easiest way to trade with parts of Canada at the time as well as move goods to the cities of Detroit and Chicago, which in the mid to early 1800's were just starting to develop.  It was also directly north from Pittsburgh which was a major industrial city at that time.     Yet Erie never really grew beyond it's humble beginnings and I wondered why.   Like any good sleuth I turned to the internet where I found mostly wrong answers.    Many people thought the port of Erie was to shallow to handle most

Don't leave the rural areas behind.

This blog was started because I had lived most of my life as an urban dweller; I wanted to record my adventures as I tried my hands at different things and I never pictured this blog would become what it did. Country life suits me in some ways.   I'm at a point in my life where I can appreciate looking up into the night sky and seeing thousands of stars, just like I did as a kid.   I just love how the moonlight bathes my beautiful sleeping wife in a creme colored light.   Country life is more peaceful and a lot more hard work than I would have ever expected.  While my neighbors and I may not agree politically or philosophically, my new lifestyle has given me insights on how they view the world. This brings me to my main point.   Here in rural America we simply don't have public transportation, nor do we have a lot of manufacturing or diversity or hospitals or even great education...and if we are going to move forward with a brighter greener future that we all want then we canno