Skip to main content

Just some random thoughts over the weekend

When I first started this blog some three years ago I didn't have an audience.  I wasn't even sure who or what I was writing for.  Did I want to write a personal blog about life in the country?   I was playing around with the idea of homesteading and self sufficiency...did I want to write about that?

In some ways over the last several months I think that I finally found a focus and an audience for this blog.  In a way I finally felt like I had found its purpose and focus.  My readership has slowly been improving over the last few months and I appreciate that.

Thank you.

However I published something that I knew would not go over well with the particular readership that I had been reaching.  I published it anyway because I know in my heart of hearts that I was correct in my conclusions.  The backlash I received I was not prepared for.  I did however attack a central tenet of the belief system of my intended audience.  

Frankly the backlash that I received through me for a loop and this, being the internet, the comments were nasty, brutish and often just wrong.   You could also tell that many of the commenters didn't even bother to read the piece in question.

In some ways I began to question the direction of, and justification for, this blog.

I don't receive any money for this blog.  I write it simply because I love to write.  I love to teach.  There is no money being exchanged.  I've not receiving free crap to write good reviews.  

I just want to teach something and have my voice heard.   I've often said that if I get one person to think about something differently then I've made a positive difference in this world.  I could be doing so much more with the time I spend here...but I don't.   This makes me happy.

Writing is both a release and a hobby for me.

Writing about anything however has become more and more difficult as our political differences seem to define everything now.   When I am writing about the environmental movement I'm crossing into politics.  I'm trying very hard not to be blatant about it.

Yes, I am a leftist.  Personally I have issues with Capitalism but I believe it can be reformed.  I believe in something called Social Democracy, or sometimes referred to as the Nordic model.   The choices that I make to help save the planet are based on my personal and political beliefs.  


For example, my desire to eat more of a vegan/vegetarian diet is based on the science of climate change, and was influenced by my political beliefs.  I am willing to make a sacrifice for the greater good.  That does not mean that I can't treat myself to something however, for example last night I enjoyed a hamburger and that was the first burger I've eaten in sometime.  That's because I wanted a hamburger. I may be encouraging you to cut back on the amount of beef and other meat you eat, but that choice is ultimately yours to make. 

I can encourage you to ride a bike to work, or take a bus even though I don't have a choice in either matter.  Where I live there is simply no bus to ride.  Sometimes we have no choice in the matter.  However we all have to do something.

That's what this blog is designed to do to some extent.  It's a call to action.


Speaking of calls to action, I feel that I've wandered a bit away from the homesteading that I originally wanted to do.   I am more in love with the idea than the actual practice but I am starting to feel that I should put a little more effort into the land that I own.

In fact, my lovely wife Sue and I have discussed buying the acre land next to us.  It's mostly wooded and would need a lot of cleanup...but also has potential for a variety of projects.  I still have trees that I want to plant and want to work on a few other little things.  

While I doubt that we will ever be to a point of self sufficiency - we would have to be much more serious than either of us are currently - I still like the idea of edible lawns.   

 

I can't encourage others if I'm not leading by example myself.   So I'm not sure if this blog will be changing or not in the future.   

I do now that we accomplished little over the last winter and this year has been a combination of different issues that have made us question some things.   So we honestly don't know what the future holds for ourselves and this blog.   All we know is that it's going to be interesting.


Comments

  1. 👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👍👍👍

    ReplyDelete
  2. 👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👍👍👍👍👍

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

What all the cool kids are reading.

In praise of the simple pumpkin. It has a lot of potential other than pies.

As I write this the temperature is climbing.  We have a window or two open, knowing that soon enough we will be shutting up the house for the next three months or so we can protect ourselves and our cats against the onslaught of winter.   Our wood stove burned overnight to take the chill out of the air and I found myself buying new boots and gloves and driving home with the windows down. This is the nature of autumn in Western Pennsylvania and as I sip on my pumpkin flavored coffee, I cannot help but praise the fruit of the season, and yes it is a fruit, the simple pumpkin. A few things are still growing in our garden, the last of the herbs and tomatoes...a stray pepper or two that needs to be picked.  Yet I find myself interested in growing pumpkins next year after realizing their potential and that they are high in nutritional value.   It's easy to forget in our modern world just how easy we have it as compared to our great grandparents and their grandparents....

Dopamine fix and my take on AI.

When I sat down at the computer recently to type all of this out,  I let out frustrated sigh.    I had plans to release a completely different blog post long before this date but over the last two weeks or so I've done everything I could do but actually work on the yard, or write, or just do anything that was constructive. When you are moving towards a dream or an idea or...well anything really, you can't break the chain.  Even if it's just 10 minutes a day working, that is constructive.    I have an addiction.  It's not to drugs or alcohol and in a way that would be a bit more excusable.   I have an addiction to dopamine .    Dopamine simply is a chemical in your brain that makes you feel good, and it in turn unleashes other "pleasure" chemicals in your brain.  In my case it a program called Second Life,  (SL) which honestly, I used to be on all the time in the early 2000's.  It's hard to explain but the term multius...

Rain and tears and those damned deer. Gardening can be painful.

“ None of us understand what we're doing, but we do beautiful things anyway.” ― Allen Ginsberg   The weatherman stated that we have not had any significant rainfall in over two weeks.  Nor did he see any relief in site. We are not in drought conditions yet, we are just unusually dry.  Interestingly enough, Pennsylvania should be getting warmer and wetter in the future if the climate models hold true.  If we narrow that down even more to my home town , the picture becomes even more interesting.   Solar Punk Pittsburgh For now though, I was worried about my garden.   It is not that big, I basically have a variety of containers around where I am maintaining lettuce, leeks, tomato's, peppers, strawberries, grapes, sunchokes (which I was really interested in growing) and a few other things.     Every garden needs to be watered and I played around with the idea of a r ain water collection systems before, we even had a simple one i...