Skip to main content

Being Thankful and rethinking some things for the coming spring.

If you have been following this blog for some time then you know that 2023 has not been a great year for us.   We have dealt with death, failure, job changes (which I realize was a mistake) and more negatives than positives.

That's life.  It was the hand that we were dealt.

Now that Thanksgiving day is upon us (and at the time of publication, past us), it occurs to me that we do have some things to be thankful for.  We do have good friends and a strong family.  We do have money in the bank and jobs that we are successful at. We have our health.

We can change some things and work on making our lives better.  

We also have, perhaps overly ambitious plans, for the winter and next spring.  We plan on painting this winter, which has been on the agenda for sometime but still has not been accomplished.  If we manage to get one room done then I'll consider it to have been a success. 

Then in the spring, I think I'll put off planting anything like a traditional garden and instead invest my time and energy into the creation of a trellis that would hold strawberries, grapes, raspberries and blueberries.  If at all possible I'm planning on growing varieties native to Pennsylvania.

I like the idea of creating a edible and natural fence that would not only allow for these perennial plants to grow and produce but would also provide some privacy between my neighbor (who has since moved) and my yard.   



 The house next to us has an extra acre of mostly wooded land, and currently sits empty, we are hoping that it goes on sale, allowing us to possibly buy it.  Not only would that give us another acre of land to use but would also possibly generate another source of income for us.  However for now the property sits unused and does require a lot of cleanup.  

In either case however a living fence would be providing some sort of privacy and clear distinction of the property line.  

This past year has been one of loss and I think that we need to step back some, reconsider our goals and dreams and just try to determine what we will be doing and how we wish to do it.

I still want to get my trees planted, and feel that this more important than ever.  I would like to plant at least two apple and a persimmon.  Although I have mixed feelings about growing a persimmon due to the size of the tree once it matures as they can be quite tall and wide.  A dwarf variety might be better suited for my goals.


Planting a pawpaw has crossed my mind, but again they would require some care I'm not willing to give at this time.  Again, all of these are native to western Pennsylvania and would provide food not only to myself and Susan but to some family in the future.   

Protecting them from deer during their initial growth phase is also important but I'm also hoping that the apples and persimmon's would keep the deer away from any future gardening efforts.   

We will have to put up fences of some sort to keep the deer at bay regardless.  

In the coming year, I really do need to take more advantage of the resources around me.  I feel like I'm flying blind most times; and failing.   I think this blog may change a little to.   I'm still a fan of Solar Punk and it's goals, but I think it's politics are wrong....and it has to much emphasis on dreams and not enough on action on today's reality.

So fiction?   Maybe, we will see.

It's not a feeling I like and just tells me that I have to tighten my focus about what I want to accomplish here. The first thing I have do do is some wood splitting.

Time to get to work.

Comments

What all the cool kids are reading.

In praise of the simple pumpkin. It has a lot of potential other than pies.

As I write this the temperature is climbing.  We have a window or two open, knowing that soon enough we will be shutting up the house for the next three months or so we can protect ourselves and our cats against the onslaught of winter.   Our wood stove burned overnight to take the chill out of the air and I found myself buying new boots and gloves and driving home with the windows down. This is the nature of autumn in Western Pennsylvania and as I sip on my pumpkin flavored coffee, I cannot help but praise the fruit of the season, and yes it is a fruit, the simple pumpkin. A few things are still growing in our garden, the last of the herbs and tomatoes...a stray pepper or two that needs to be picked.  Yet I find myself interested in growing pumpkins next year after realizing their potential and that they are high in nutritional value.   It's easy to forget in our modern world just how easy we have it as compared to our great grandparents and their grandparents....

Dopamine fix and my take on AI.

When I sat down at the computer recently to type all of this out,  I let out frustrated sigh.    I had plans to release a completely different blog post long before this date but over the last two weeks or so I've done everything I could do but actually work on the yard, or write, or just do anything that was constructive. When you are moving towards a dream or an idea or...well anything really, you can't break the chain.  Even if it's just 10 minutes a day working, that is constructive.    I have an addiction.  It's not to drugs or alcohol and in a way that would be a bit more excusable.   I have an addiction to dopamine .    Dopamine simply is a chemical in your brain that makes you feel good, and it in turn unleashes other "pleasure" chemicals in your brain.  In my case it a program called Second Life,  (SL) which honestly, I used to be on all the time in the early 2000's.  It's hard to explain but the term multius...

Rain and tears and those damned deer. Gardening can be painful.

“ None of us understand what we're doing, but we do beautiful things anyway.” ― Allen Ginsberg   The weatherman stated that we have not had any significant rainfall in over two weeks.  Nor did he see any relief in site. We are not in drought conditions yet, we are just unusually dry.  Interestingly enough, Pennsylvania should be getting warmer and wetter in the future if the climate models hold true.  If we narrow that down even more to my home town , the picture becomes even more interesting.   Solar Punk Pittsburgh For now though, I was worried about my garden.   It is not that big, I basically have a variety of containers around where I am maintaining lettuce, leeks, tomato's, peppers, strawberries, grapes, sunchokes (which I was really interested in growing) and a few other things.     Every garden needs to be watered and I played around with the idea of a r ain water collection systems before, we even had a simple one i...