Skip to main content

What will we do when the wheat is all gone??? The city mouse talks about bread.

Hope is the poor man's bread.

Somehow I started watching a video about "Poor Man's bread" that was bread made from various flours in the 1700's and early 1800's.  This popularity of this type of bread has waxed and waned in popularity at times when wheat production faltered for whatever reason.



The history of bread is an interesting one and their have been lots of substitutes for wheat bread throughout times of drought or diseases; or when other issues like poor soil and wheat diseases affected production.  Wheat has always been the preferred crop when it came to bread.

While wheat farming practices and yields have certainly increased since the late 1700's this most important of crops face new problems in a ever heating world.

I started to wonder....could some of these substitutes make sense in today's world?  Or better yet, what about the world of tomorrow?  What would replace wheat bread if the crops failed today?

Quick searches for things like bean bread and pea bread lead to a few interesting options, including bread that was boiled and not baked like breads are normally.  

While at the time of this writing, I'm not sure if I want to explore any of these recipes but I do find them interesting.  It just goes to show you the ingenuity of our ancestors who found a way.  If we are going to find a way out of this mess, then we have to be as creative as our ancestors were 200 years ago.

The question for me is how do you change a food culture?  Why did wheat bread, and wheat in general become such a staple crop for billions the world over?  

Is there some way to change that in today's world?  What, if anything is going to replace wheat?  Would we be willing to eat it?

Sadly lots of studies have been already done concerning global warming and wheat production.  They all tell the same story, production has been falling as temperatures rise. Depending on the study that production is between 1 - 10% of the yield for each degree of temperature.

Wheat is a staple crop for roughly 35% of the Worlds population or roughly 3 Billion people.  To think of it another way that is roughly the population of India and China combined.  Wheat is the staple crop for most of Africa and the Middle East, where nearly all of it is imported so any disaster to the wheat crop would create huge famines in a part of the world that is already racked by food security issues.

As such science has been working on gene modification and other techniques to grow heartier and more drought resistant wheat.   While I applaud these efforts, it still doesn't address the elephant in the room.  What happens if our wheat production fails?

Corn and Rice will most likely replace wheat production in the coming years but rice production actually produces roughly 10% of the world's agricultural emissions.  Rice production also results in methane gas production.  Rice is currently the fourth most grown crop in the world.

However, improved farming techniques could reduce methane production and actually aid in carbon sequestration.   American farmers using these techniques have shown methane production to have fallen by anywhere from 65 - 90% while using 38% less water.   At this time I'm not sure how that effects crop yield and research is ongoing but this work is promising.

Corn production has been under attack in the past for it's heavy use of pesticides and nitrogen based fertilizers which, to it's credit, the industry has addressed, but it is still a labor intensive crop.  However it generally does well in warming climates and can be drought resistant. 

An "ancient grain" like Amaranah has potential because they are very similar nutritionally to cereal grains like wheat and,despite its small grains, is capable of corn like production numbers.  It requires less water to grow and every part of the plant is edible.   While this plant is not generally considered a major production crop, its benefits outweigh it negatives and it's biggest hurdle to overcome is a general lack of knowledge on how to grow Amaranah and a limited availability of its seeds.    Plus a general lack of recipes where it is the star of the plate.


It's a well known fact that legumes and pulses - things like fava beans, lentils, cowpeas and chickpeas - are not only healthy and nutritious but require less fertilizer.  However here in America beans have often been seen as just a side dish, or a "poor mans" food.    

How do you change deep seated feelings about food?   How do you win hearts and minds?  

I've written about different food sources before, I've praised the lowly Dandelion and frankly a lot of climate friendly foods I've not discussed here like okra, mushrooms and sweet potatoes.  

I'm not a vegan nor am I a vegetarian but I am smart enough to know that changing my diet is one of the easiest things I can do to fight climate change.   It's also hard.  

Change is always hard but it's needed.  It is necessary. It is going to happen regardless of our feelings or politics or choices.  All we can do is try to understand it, prepare for it and do our best.  

**I'm including this link here because it's still being researched but it's an ancient technique that shows promise in grain production.  https://news.cornell.edu/stories/2023/01/ancient-farming-strategy-holds-promise-climate-resilience**

Comments

What all the cool kids are reading.

In praise of the simple pumpkin. It has a lot of potential other than pies.

As I write this the temperature is climbing.  We have a window or two open, knowing that soon enough we will be shutting up the house for the next three months or so we can protect ourselves and our cats against the onslaught of winter.   Our wood stove burned overnight to take the chill out of the air and I found myself buying new boots and gloves and driving home with the windows down. This is the nature of autumn in Western Pennsylvania and as I sip on my pumpkin flavored coffee, I cannot help but praise the fruit of the season, and yes it is a fruit, the simple pumpkin. A few things are still growing in our garden, the last of the herbs and tomatoes...a stray pepper or two that needs to be picked.  Yet I find myself interested in growing pumpkins next year after realizing their potential and that they are high in nutritional value.   It's easy to forget in our modern world just how easy we have it as compared to our great grandparents and their grandparents....

Dopamine fix and my take on AI.

When I sat down at the computer recently to type all of this out,  I let out frustrated sigh.    I had plans to release a completely different blog post long before this date but over the last two weeks or so I've done everything I could do but actually work on the yard, or write, or just do anything that was constructive. When you are moving towards a dream or an idea or...well anything really, you can't break the chain.  Even if it's just 10 minutes a day working, that is constructive.    I have an addiction.  It's not to drugs or alcohol and in a way that would be a bit more excusable.   I have an addiction to dopamine .    Dopamine simply is a chemical in your brain that makes you feel good, and it in turn unleashes other "pleasure" chemicals in your brain.  In my case it a program called Second Life,  (SL) which honestly, I used to be on all the time in the early 2000's.  It's hard to explain but the term multius...

Rain and tears and those damned deer. Gardening can be painful.

“ None of us understand what we're doing, but we do beautiful things anyway.” ― Allen Ginsberg   The weatherman stated that we have not had any significant rainfall in over two weeks.  Nor did he see any relief in site. We are not in drought conditions yet, we are just unusually dry.  Interestingly enough, Pennsylvania should be getting warmer and wetter in the future if the climate models hold true.  If we narrow that down even more to my home town , the picture becomes even more interesting.   Solar Punk Pittsburgh For now though, I was worried about my garden.   It is not that big, I basically have a variety of containers around where I am maintaining lettuce, leeks, tomato's, peppers, strawberries, grapes, sunchokes (which I was really interested in growing) and a few other things.     Every garden needs to be watered and I played around with the idea of a r ain water collection systems before, we even had a simple one i...