Skip to main content

The American Climate Corps and other good news

 Generally speaking I don't trust the government when it comes to climate.  Here in America we basically have an Oligarchy - where a few rich asssholes are more concerned with maintaining their own power than doing what is best for the country overall.  

This has not given me much hope for the future.  In fact, I've reached the conclusion that we simply will not be able to relay on the government going forward.  I'm not a doomsayer but the government at the highest levels simply isn't functioning the way it should and because of that it's simply not going to be able to handle the environmental and other climate related challenges in the future - such as massive immigration caused by failing crops.  Due to their age, most of our leaders are living in a world that no longer exists.

So, why does President Biden's American Climate Corps pigued my interest?

Two reasons really, it is an understanding that we have to do something sooner than later.  Well details are forthcoming I see it as a step in the right direction.  

The second is payment for that training.

It really is that simple.   At 57, I've been looking for significant work and to me that means finding something where I can give back to the environment.   It's an uphill battle for me because I either don't have the training in a particular field or the experience a company is looking for.  


History buffs like me see a direct link to the Civilization Conservation Corps of the New Deal, both of which have left a lasting legacy on the American landscape.  However, unlike the "C's" of old, this program would be open to more than just white young men.  

For the record, during the Great Depression the men of the "C's" were paid $30 month (or roughly $550 in 2023 dollars) but their meals, lodging, clothing, medical and dental care were paid for by the govt.   I'm willing to take a cut in pay - to a certain degree - if it means that I can do some sort of work that matters to me.   In fact the "C's" of old were credited with bringing education to thousands of men and helped advanced the natural sciences at that time.  I see no reason why this new program would not serve the same role.

Details on the American Climate Corps are still sketchy at the time I'm writing this, but this one little thing will make a would of difference if it reaches fruition.  Nor will the program require previous experience and will, in theory, open up opportunities for working with the government or entering the private sector.  

The program is also geared towards working in communities that are disproportionately affected by climate change - so that would be disadvantaged urban areas and rural America. I live in rural America and it needs an economic boost.

Biden's program is a start, and it's much smaller than what was originally proposed, but it is a step in the right direction.  During it's original 9 year run the CCC provided jobs for 3 Million young men who did such diverse work as fighting wildfires and disaster relief to building over 100,000 miles of roads, countless bridges and 318,000 dams.  Many of which are still in use today.

Now just think about what that program could do to help save our environment and help reduce climate change?

It's a big government program I can get behind.

What was not in the main stream news but is also of interest was the US government's investment of 100 Million to "repair and replace any and all existing but nonoperational EV chargers in the US."  Well it's actually not that much money, it is another important step towards an electrified future.   However, it should be noted that these funds were not creating any new charging stations.  The funds are strictly for repair of existing chargers.  Currently there are over 138 thousand chargers throughout the country in various states of operation and it's been estimated that we will need 20 times that amount by 2030.

Well I would have loved to seen additional funding for new charging stations, the maintenance of existing chargers is certainly welcome.  

The other good piece of news is actually something that I've been promoting and working on personally for years.   In my past life I worked in insurance and banking; I was often asked to give financial advice or help someone with their investments. I often told them about green bonds or a special type of mutual funds referred to as Social Responsible Investment funds or SRI funds.  These, for example, would avoid investment in things like Big Oil or Big Pharma but instead would invest in companies that were promoting green energy or were supporting social programs or were very LGBT+ friendly companies.  

In a quiet announcement New York University divested 5 Billion dollars out of "Big Oil" and similar products and would place these funds into SRI's and green bonds.

Again this may not sound like much but that 5 Billion dollars will now be invested into promoting solar and wind power companies, be invested into battery technology and sustainable waste water management programs. 

It's a small win but it's an important win for the environmental movement. 

Small steps become big steps and the future that we want is one step closer to reality.


Comments

  1. It’s a positive start in the right direction. I think you’re a very good journalist. I enjoy your topics and you have very good arguments. KUDOS!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For some reason it won't allow me to comment as the City Mouse. LOL. For the record I don't consider myself a journalist. I just like to write, I always have. It helps me make sense of the world, and if I can help someone else learn something then I consider it a success. Thank you for your kind words.

      Delete

Post a Comment

What all the cool kids are reading.

Maybe we need to rethink invasive species???

Hi. As the writer of the post and feel that I need to clarify something. I do not advocate the planting of invasive species. The point that I'm trying to make, and clearly didn't, is that perhaps we should be thinking about an invasive species in a different light. Apples, figs and other crops are clearly non native to America and Europe but are widely cultivated because they have use to humans as a food source, animal feed, etc. Kudzu is an edible plant and although it is clearly harmful can it be used someway by humans? It's a food source, it's been used as a cloth and is showing some use as a building material. All I'm trying to do is to create discussion on how we can use invasive plants in new ways.   It's mid April here in Western Pennsylvania and so far it's been warm and wet.  The buzz of lawnmowers fill the air as I gallivant through my back yard collecting dandelions to make some tea and bread with them.  I had always known that they w

Why didn't Erie, PA develop into a bigger city?

          Recently I had to travel up to Erie, PA for business.   It's about an hour north of me and is a rather small city, having just under 100 thousand people living in it.   It played an important role in the founding of America,  - where it was the headquarters for Oliver Perry's flagship Niagara during the battle of Like Erie in the war of 1812 .            It was also a important shipping center, being Pennsylvania's only access to the Great Lakes which was the easiest way to trade with parts of Canada at the time as well as move goods to the cities of Detroit and Chicago, which in the mid to early 1800's were just starting to develop.  It was also directly north from Pittsburgh which was a major industrial city at that time.     Yet Erie never really grew beyond it's humble beginnings and I wondered why.   Like any good sleuth I turned to the internet where I found mostly wrong answers.    Many people thought the port of Erie was to shallow to handle most

Don't leave the rural areas behind.

This blog was started because I had lived most of my life as an urban dweller; I wanted to record my adventures as I tried my hands at different things and I never pictured this blog would become what it did. Country life suits me in some ways.   I'm at a point in my life where I can appreciate looking up into the night sky and seeing thousands of stars, just like I did as a kid.   I just love how the moonlight bathes my beautiful sleeping wife in a creme colored light.   Country life is more peaceful and a lot more hard work than I would have ever expected.  While my neighbors and I may not agree politically or philosophically, my new lifestyle has given me insights on how they view the world. This brings me to my main point.   Here in rural America we simply don't have public transportation, nor do we have a lot of manufacturing or diversity or hospitals or even great education...and if we are going to move forward with a brighter greener future that we all want then we canno