Skip to main content

It's OK to mow in May - Understanding how Science works

 

This is a true story.  

Years ago when I was a young man studying Evolutionary Biology as part of my teaching degree; our professor told us this story.  His professor at the time walked in, dropped the textbook into the trash and said something to the effect of "The discovery of complex life developing in deep sea vents changes everything we thought we knew."

In other words....the biologists at the time were surprised to discover multiple colonies of complex animals with completely different biochemistry living in a very hostile environment, at that time it was believed that only small organisms evolved in the extreme temperatures and high pressure of the deep sea vents.   

Suddenly there were advanced forms of life (worms and crabs) whose biochemistry was unlike any thing else on the planet.   Evolution, at least the way it was understood at the time, changed.  

This story has stuck with me all these years because it teaches a very valuable lesson.  As our knowledge grows and changes, so should how we view the world around us.  It's not always easy, as sometimes long held beliefs can change overnight based on new evidence.  Societies are built on order.  We understand our place in the world and for centuries this worked beautifully.  

Some things change slowly.  Other things can be changed seemingly overnight and forced us to either accept it, or "die."  Their is a reason why Charles Darwin didn't punish his findings for as long as he did, he understood the implications of evolution on the greater society. 

The "No Mow May" movement, while certainly not on the same level as evolutionary theory,  is having one of those moments where things are changing as the research around it changes, so much so that I thought I should talk about it.  It's important to discuss and learn from.

Not an actual bee

The idea in a nut shell is a simple one.  We all know that pollinators are on the decline.  Not mowing your lawn for the entire month of May, or at least putting off mowing for as long as possible seemed a reasonable way to help increase their population.  Some studies indicated that the number of pollinators increased due to the amount of flowers they now had access to.  Plus there were other beneficial reasons like cutting back on gas usage and CO2 emissions from gas powered lawn mowers.  

It's also a simple way to participate in the environmental moment without actually having to do much of anything.  

However when scientists started to look at this, they discovered some things and actually started to question if "No Mow May" was good for the very insects they were trying to protect.   This is how science works....ideas morph and change as more information is added to the pot.   

In Philosophy there is something called the "Web of Belief" and it's the best way to explain how science grows and changes over time.  Think of a spider in a web.  Now that spider is a central idea that is held to be true.   Around that spider are varies strands of webbing.  These are experiments and other data that are proven to hold that spider in the web.

The further you get away from the center the web the less supported those strands become.   As experiments and further information is received, if the strand holds in place and other strands are added to it...the web grows.    

If the strand breaks and takes other strands with it...then either the data is wrong or the original idea, the spider, is flawed.   If more and more stands start to break then the spider can fall to the floor.  The central tenet is changed and a new spider takes the center of the new web based on new information.  The process begins anew.

An imperfect example of this is how the earth used to be considered the center of the solar system.   Over time more and more evidence showed this idea to be wrong, and the earth took it's place as the third planet.   At first there was thought to be only five planets.  Then six.  We reached nine at one time and went back to eight as our knowledge grew.   There may be a ninth world out there in the darkness.  We don't know yet...but if there was, it would answer some questions I'm not getting into here.   

In the case of No Mow May, the spider in the web is tilting a bit.  It now appears that mowing the lawn every two to three weeks or so is the way to go.  Planting native plants and plants that produce a good amount of nectar is a good way to help protect the pollinators.   Reducing the size of the lawn is a good idea.  All things this blog encourages.

I've written before how I let part of my yard "go wild" to provide for nature.  
 

For the last several weeks its been rainy.  It's also been a bit cold as some nights required a frost warning.  It's pushed my gardening back, delayed the rest of the tree trimming, and delayed other projects, so with the weather finally cooperating....I mowed.   In May.  Luckily we all ready have dandelions and other flowers blooming. 

If all goes according to plan, I'm not mowing again to the 25th or so.  This is largely due to how bees communicate and exchange information.  The bees will communicate that my yard has flowers blooming and in what precise location.   Any other flowers will be considered a "bonus" by them.

Because I do want to provide a nice little space for the various pollinators in the area.  I'm not telling you not to mow or to put off mowing your yard, although not mowing as often is simply a better option.  




Comments

What all the cool kids are reading.

In praise of the simple pumpkin. It has a lot of potential other than pies.

As I write this the temperature is climbing.  We have a window or two open, knowing that soon enough we will be shutting up the house for the next three months or so we can protect ourselves and our cats against the onslaught of winter.   Our wood stove burned overnight to take the chill out of the air and I found myself buying new boots and gloves and driving home with the windows down. This is the nature of autumn in Western Pennsylvania and as I sip on my pumpkin flavored coffee, I cannot help but praise the fruit of the season, and yes it is a fruit, the simple pumpkin. A few things are still growing in our garden, the last of the herbs and tomatoes...a stray pepper or two that needs to be picked.  Yet I find myself interested in growing pumpkins next year after realizing their potential and that they are high in nutritional value.   It's easy to forget in our modern world just how easy we have it as compared to our great grandparents and their grandparents....

Dopamine fix and my take on AI.

When I sat down at the computer recently to type all of this out,  I let out frustrated sigh.    I had plans to release a completely different blog post long before this date but over the last two weeks or so I've done everything I could do but actually work on the yard, or write, or just do anything that was constructive. When you are moving towards a dream or an idea or...well anything really, you can't break the chain.  Even if it's just 10 minutes a day working, that is constructive.    I have an addiction.  It's not to drugs or alcohol and in a way that would be a bit more excusable.   I have an addiction to dopamine .    Dopamine simply is a chemical in your brain that makes you feel good, and it in turn unleashes other "pleasure" chemicals in your brain.  In my case it a program called Second Life,  (SL) which honestly, I used to be on all the time in the early 2000's.  It's hard to explain but the term multius...

Rain and tears and those damned deer. Gardening can be painful.

“ None of us understand what we're doing, but we do beautiful things anyway.” ― Allen Ginsberg   The weatherman stated that we have not had any significant rainfall in over two weeks.  Nor did he see any relief in site. We are not in drought conditions yet, we are just unusually dry.  Interestingly enough, Pennsylvania should be getting warmer and wetter in the future if the climate models hold true.  If we narrow that down even more to my home town , the picture becomes even more interesting.   Solar Punk Pittsburgh For now though, I was worried about my garden.   It is not that big, I basically have a variety of containers around where I am maintaining lettuce, leeks, tomato's, peppers, strawberries, grapes, sunchokes (which I was really interested in growing) and a few other things.     Every garden needs to be watered and I played around with the idea of a r ain water collection systems before, we even had a simple one i...