Skip to main content

"Hope manifested" - a brief look at a Solar Punk Event in Pittsburgh

As I entered the Energy Innovation Center near Pittsburgh's center,  the ladies at the registration desk asked me to write down what Solar Punk meant to me.  I declined. 

The reason being that when I first learned about the Solar Punk movement, I was immediately attracted to its desire to change the fundamentals of the world; solar punk is more than an art and literary movement.  

While Steam punk was about a time that never was and seemed to have a certain way of dress and style to it solar punk seemed more grounded.  An old pair of blue jeans bought second hand and work boots were functional and fashionable.

Where Cyberpunk seemed to envision a cold harsh future, solar punk seems almost utopian.  

It offers solutions through everyday acts like gardening, vegetarianism and recycling.  Those that believe in the solar punk movement are simply not sending money to some charity but living and working to make this world a better place.  Art, music and literature are all ways that this message is spread and simply works better than the politics that I'm interested in.  

How do you write that down on a sticky note?

As I moseyed about I soon met a woman who was trying to promote Solar Punk ideals in the small town of Wheeling, West Virginia.  We discussed the challenges of that and how to possibly win over conservatives with "radical ideas" like converting to wind and solar power. Solar Punk, she stated seems to Neo-Liberal and doesn't address some of the concerns that the everyday people in traditionally coal mining areas and small towns have.  

It is a fair criticism.  Solar Punk should be all inclusive but sometimes can be more "pie in the sky" than dealing with the day to day problems of the individual.  If it is going to succeed, then it needs to show a better way of life to the people that are getting left behind by the very technology that Solar Punk embraces.

At the other end of the hall, I spoke to one of the vendors that was a writer, and she was handing out little "how to" guides about getting started writing Solar Punk related fiction.   I gave a donation to an arts group that was working with disadvantaged children in the area and talked about how they used art to improve the lives of the kids.


It sounds simplistic, but stories and art are important because they provide a framework for the type of world we want.  While I may not always area with the politics and economics of the solar punk movement, I do agree in the power of visualization.  If we have an idea, no matter how vague it may be, then any art form - be it visual or the simple word on the page makes that vision more focused and obtainable.

We create a personal connection with art.  Our religious texts are stories and parables.  Our history is not cold facts on a page, but lives.  Stories, art, music...all those forms of expression are important to create a future vision to strive for.

As I meandered about, I ended up talking to a minority couple who owned an organic farm; and who were nice enough to invite me to their farm, and a group of engineers and artists that were actually creating working solar and wind powered generators that served as art installation as well.  In addition they had created card games, published a book, created puzzles all to show what was possible in a fun and creative way



I am man enough to admit that I choked up looking at what they had built.  It was simply to beautiful for words.

There were a number of groups there working to save the wetlands, improve air quality, encouraging "alternative" energy sources.  However, they were all working together towards a common goal and interfaced with each other.  I had this stressed to me several times in the conversations that I was having by the representatives at the various booths

A few solar power installation companies were there.   A few were hiring and a side room was actually dedicated to the hiring of technicians and electricians.  I'm not going to lie, I am planning on applying for a position with one of the non profits that were there as they offered a position that I was qualified for.  


I was reminded that this is what I love about the Solar Punk movement.   It's more than fashion, it's more than stories.   It's actually about building a better future. 

A few groups that I would not have expected at an event like this were there.   The Pittsburgh Regional Transit authority was there promoting their new electric busses, and they were happy to announce they were buying 11 more.  Pittsburgh has always been a progressive city, and is working on becoming a leader in green power.  A few groups I would have expected to be at this event were not for what ever reason.

Finally I had a wonderful vegetarian dish made by the We All Eat Initiative that that didn't cost me a thing and was healthy and tasty.  True to the spirit of solar punk everything there was being recycled or reused in some way.  Worm Return provided garbage pick up for the event, composting everything they could to be returned to the soil.

I decided not to stay for a variety of speakers they had, although I'm sure I could have learned something they simply didn't interest me.  I was having to much fun going from table to table and just talking to those in the front line. 

As I was walking out of the event, I was struck by how non profits, for profit companies and government could all work together to build a better future.  I picked up a sticky note from the registration desk and wrote down what the Solar Punk movement means to me.    

Hope Manifested.

 


To see more photo's please visit the City Mouse in the Boondocks Facebook Page.

Comments

What all the cool kids are reading.

Maybe we need to rethink invasive species???

Hi. As the writer of the post and feel that I need to clarify something. I do not advocate the planting of invasive species. The point that I'm trying to make, and clearly didn't, is that perhaps we should be thinking about an invasive species in a different light. Apples, figs and other crops are clearly non native to America and Europe but are widely cultivated because they have use to humans as a food source, animal feed, etc. Kudzu is an edible plant and although it is clearly harmful can it be used someway by humans? It's a food source, it's been used as a cloth and is showing some use as a building material. All I'm trying to do is to create discussion on how we can use invasive plants in new ways.   It's mid April here in Western Pennsylvania and so far it's been warm and wet.  The buzz of lawnmowers fill the air as I gallivant through my back yard collecting dandelions to make some tea and bread with them.  I had always known that they w

Why didn't Erie, PA develop into a bigger city?

          Recently I had to travel up to Erie, PA for business.   It's about an hour north of me and is a rather small city, having just under 100 thousand people living in it.   It played an important role in the founding of America,  - where it was the headquarters for Oliver Perry's flagship Niagara during the battle of Like Erie in the war of 1812 .            It was also a important shipping center, being Pennsylvania's only access to the Great Lakes which was the easiest way to trade with parts of Canada at the time as well as move goods to the cities of Detroit and Chicago, which in the mid to early 1800's were just starting to develop.  It was also directly north from Pittsburgh which was a major industrial city at that time.     Yet Erie never really grew beyond it's humble beginnings and I wondered why.   Like any good sleuth I turned to the internet where I found mostly wrong answers.    Many people thought the port of Erie was to shallow to handle most

Don't leave the rural areas behind.

This blog was started because I had lived most of my life as an urban dweller; I wanted to record my adventures as I tried my hands at different things and I never pictured this blog would become what it did. Country life suits me in some ways.   I'm at a point in my life where I can appreciate looking up into the night sky and seeing thousands of stars, just like I did as a kid.   I just love how the moonlight bathes my beautiful sleeping wife in a creme colored light.   Country life is more peaceful and a lot more hard work than I would have ever expected.  While my neighbors and I may not agree politically or philosophically, my new lifestyle has given me insights on how they view the world. This brings me to my main point.   Here in rural America we simply don't have public transportation, nor do we have a lot of manufacturing or diversity or hospitals or even great education...and if we are going to move forward with a brighter greener future that we all want then we canno