Skip to main content

"Hope manifested" - a brief look at a Solar Punk Event in Pittsburgh

As I entered the Energy Innovation Center near Pittsburgh's center,  the ladies at the registration desk asked me to write down what Solar Punk meant to me.  I declined. 

The reason being that when I first learned about the Solar Punk movement, I was immediately attracted to its desire to change the fundamentals of the world; solar punk is more than an art and literary movement.  

While Steam punk was about a time that never was and seemed to have a certain way of dress and style to it solar punk seemed more grounded.  An old pair of blue jeans bought second hand and work boots were functional and fashionable.

Where Cyberpunk seemed to envision a cold harsh future, solar punk seems almost utopian.  

It offers solutions through everyday acts like gardening, vegetarianism and recycling.  Those that believe in the solar punk movement are simply not sending money to some charity but living and working to make this world a better place.  Art, music and literature are all ways that this message is spread and simply works better than the politics that I'm interested in.  

How do you write that down on a sticky note?

As I moseyed about I soon met a woman who was trying to promote Solar Punk ideals in the small town of Wheeling, West Virginia.  We discussed the challenges of that and how to possibly win over conservatives with "radical ideas" like converting to wind and solar power. Solar Punk, she stated seems to Neo-Liberal and doesn't address some of the concerns that the everyday people in traditionally coal mining areas and small towns have.  

It is a fair criticism.  Solar Punk should be all inclusive but sometimes can be more "pie in the sky" than dealing with the day to day problems of the individual.  If it is going to succeed, then it needs to show a better way of life to the people that are getting left behind by the very technology that Solar Punk embraces.

At the other end of the hall, I spoke to one of the vendors that was a writer, and she was handing out little "how to" guides about getting started writing Solar Punk related fiction.   I gave a donation to an arts group that was working with disadvantaged children in the area and talked about how they used art to improve the lives of the kids.


It sounds simplistic, but stories and art are important because they provide a framework for the type of world we want.  While I may not always area with the politics and economics of the solar punk movement, I do agree in the power of visualization.  If we have an idea, no matter how vague it may be, then any art form - be it visual or the simple word on the page makes that vision more focused and obtainable.

We create a personal connection with art.  Our religious texts are stories and parables.  Our history is not cold facts on a page, but lives.  Stories, art, music...all those forms of expression are important to create a future vision to strive for.

As I meandered about, I ended up talking to a minority couple who owned an organic farm; and who were nice enough to invite me to their farm, and a group of engineers and artists that were actually creating working solar and wind powered generators that served as art installation as well.  In addition they had created card games, published a book, created puzzles all to show what was possible in a fun and creative way



I am man enough to admit that I choked up looking at what they had built.  It was simply to beautiful for words.

There were a number of groups there working to save the wetlands, improve air quality, encouraging "alternative" energy sources.  However, they were all working together towards a common goal and interfaced with each other.  I had this stressed to me several times in the conversations that I was having by the representatives at the various booths

A few solar power installation companies were there.   A few were hiring and a side room was actually dedicated to the hiring of technicians and electricians.  I'm not going to lie, I am planning on applying for a position with one of the non profits that were there as they offered a position that I was qualified for.  


I was reminded that this is what I love about the Solar Punk movement.   It's more than fashion, it's more than stories.   It's actually about building a better future. 

A few groups that I would not have expected at an event like this were there.   The Pittsburgh Regional Transit authority was there promoting their new electric busses, and they were happy to announce they were buying 11 more.  Pittsburgh has always been a progressive city, and is working on becoming a leader in green power.  A few groups I would have expected to be at this event were not for what ever reason.

Finally I had a wonderful vegetarian dish made by the We All Eat Initiative that that didn't cost me a thing and was healthy and tasty.  True to the spirit of solar punk everything there was being recycled or reused in some way.  Worm Return provided garbage pick up for the event, composting everything they could to be returned to the soil.

I decided not to stay for a variety of speakers they had, although I'm sure I could have learned something they simply didn't interest me.  I was having to much fun going from table to table and just talking to those in the front line. 

As I was walking out of the event, I was struck by how non profits, for profit companies and government could all work together to build a better future.  I picked up a sticky note from the registration desk and wrote down what the Solar Punk movement means to me.    

Hope Manifested.

 


To see more photo's please visit the City Mouse in the Boondocks Facebook Page.

Comments

What all the cool kids are reading.

In praise of the simple pumpkin. It has a lot of potential other than pies.

As I write this the temperature is climbing.  We have a window or two open, knowing that soon enough we will be shutting up the house for the next three months or so we can protect ourselves and our cats against the onslaught of winter.   Our wood stove burned overnight to take the chill out of the air and I found myself buying new boots and gloves and driving home with the windows down. This is the nature of autumn in Western Pennsylvania and as I sip on my pumpkin flavored coffee, I cannot help but praise the fruit of the season, and yes it is a fruit, the simple pumpkin. A few things are still growing in our garden, the last of the herbs and tomatoes...a stray pepper or two that needs to be picked.  Yet I find myself interested in growing pumpkins next year after realizing their potential and that they are high in nutritional value.   It's easy to forget in our modern world just how easy we have it as compared to our great grandparents and their grandparents....

Dopamine fix and my take on AI.

When I sat down at the computer recently to type all of this out,  I let out frustrated sigh.    I had plans to release a completely different blog post long before this date but over the last two weeks or so I've done everything I could do but actually work on the yard, or write, or just do anything that was constructive. When you are moving towards a dream or an idea or...well anything really, you can't break the chain.  Even if it's just 10 minutes a day working, that is constructive.    I have an addiction.  It's not to drugs or alcohol and in a way that would be a bit more excusable.   I have an addiction to dopamine .    Dopamine simply is a chemical in your brain that makes you feel good, and it in turn unleashes other "pleasure" chemicals in your brain.  In my case it a program called Second Life,  (SL) which honestly, I used to be on all the time in the early 2000's.  It's hard to explain but the term multius...

Rain and tears and those damned deer. Gardening can be painful.

“ None of us understand what we're doing, but we do beautiful things anyway.” ― Allen Ginsberg   The weatherman stated that we have not had any significant rainfall in over two weeks.  Nor did he see any relief in site. We are not in drought conditions yet, we are just unusually dry.  Interestingly enough, Pennsylvania should be getting warmer and wetter in the future if the climate models hold true.  If we narrow that down even more to my home town , the picture becomes even more interesting.   Solar Punk Pittsburgh For now though, I was worried about my garden.   It is not that big, I basically have a variety of containers around where I am maintaining lettuce, leeks, tomato's, peppers, strawberries, grapes, sunchokes (which I was really interested in growing) and a few other things.     Every garden needs to be watered and I played around with the idea of a r ain water collection systems before, we even had a simple one i...