Skip to main content

Paneer - A brief return to cheese making

 I found myself wanting to make cheese the other night.  In particular, paneer cheese.  I've not made cheese in some time and it was for that reason that I decided to stay away from something a bit more complex like my beloved Amish Cup Cheese.  It's so simple that you could have it ready within a few hours.

I wanted to make paneer for a couple of reasons but mostly because it's a simple cheese to make; only needing milk and an acid like vinegar or citric acid.  It's also used in a lot of Indian recipes, and I just happened to have a couple of jars of simmering sauces for two well known Indian recipes in my pantry.  

Since I've been trying to eat more plant based or vegetarian dishes, paneer can be - and often is - used as a meat substitute.   Well many of these dishes are Indian, paneer can be used in a lot of different dishes as well.  

As I've said before I'm more "plant based diet curious" than a vegetarian and there are various shades of "vegetarianism." Depending on your level of commitment, you may not want to use paneer at all.  However for those of us that are trying to eat healthier and a bit more environmentally friendly, this is certainly a good option.

For example, cheese is certainly better than eating beef when it comes to the environment, you are lowering your carbon footprint which is never a bad thing as far as I'm concerned.  However like everything in life, there is a downside.

First however, the good news.  In 3.5 ounces (100 grams) of paneer cheese, you have about 20 grams of fat and protein with only 2 grams or less of carbohydrates.  Since this is a dairy cheese it also contains the nutrients  calcium, magnesium, and phosphorus; and together with vitamin-D, Paneer provides sufficient nutrients available for bone growth.  It may also help in weight loss.

It is also low in lactose and gluten free.   However, since most milk today is created on factory farms, you may also be ingesting hormones and antibodies given to the cows.  Well the US has various regulations in place, this can not be said for other countries and trade is global. 

Paneer is a cheese of many magical powers.  First is that it doesn't melt.  It is also a rather mild "green" cheese, meaning it's not aged, that easily adsorbs the flavors of what ever it is added to.  It can be used in a lot of different ways.  Depending on how it's made it can be fried, cubed or crumbled like a blue cheese into your dish.

While it was originally made from Buffalo milk, it's normally made for cow's milk today.  It was even be made form goat's milk, low fat milk, Half and Half, and even dried milk!  In other words it's a pretty simple thing to make and, well not idiot proof, is close to it. 

If your making it at home, and I highly recommend you do, it can be refrigerated for roughly a week.  If you lightly salt it, you can save it for up to two weeks.    Generally speaking it only takes about an hour to make so it can be used the same day.   In fact, this is going to be part of my lunch today. 

Comments

What all the cool kids are reading.

In praise of the simple pumpkin. It has a lot of potential other than pies.

As I write this the temperature is climbing.  We have a window or two open, knowing that soon enough we will be shutting up the house for the next three months or so we can protect ourselves and our cats against the onslaught of winter.   Our wood stove burned overnight to take the chill out of the air and I found myself buying new boots and gloves and driving home with the windows down. This is the nature of autumn in Western Pennsylvania and as I sip on my pumpkin flavored coffee, I cannot help but praise the fruit of the season, and yes it is a fruit, the simple pumpkin. A few things are still growing in our garden, the last of the herbs and tomatoes...a stray pepper or two that needs to be picked.  Yet I find myself interested in growing pumpkins next year after realizing their potential and that they are high in nutritional value.   It's easy to forget in our modern world just how easy we have it as compared to our great grandparents and their grandparents....

Dopamine fix and my take on AI.

When I sat down at the computer recently to type all of this out,  I let out frustrated sigh.    I had plans to release a completely different blog post long before this date but over the last two weeks or so I've done everything I could do but actually work on the yard, or write, or just do anything that was constructive. When you are moving towards a dream or an idea or...well anything really, you can't break the chain.  Even if it's just 10 minutes a day working, that is constructive.    I have an addiction.  It's not to drugs or alcohol and in a way that would be a bit more excusable.   I have an addiction to dopamine .    Dopamine simply is a chemical in your brain that makes you feel good, and it in turn unleashes other "pleasure" chemicals in your brain.  In my case it a program called Second Life,  (SL) which honestly, I used to be on all the time in the early 2000's.  It's hard to explain but the term multius...

A sense of time in place - traveling in Central PA

One of the first items that Sue and I bought as a couple all those years ago was a grandfather clock.  We used to snuggle under the blanket and listen to the chimes on the hour, the sound filling our house with a warmth and resonance.   That clock is nothing special, being simple in its design and technology.  It's accurate because of the beauty of physics and math...and is a lost art form in its own right. I thought a lot about time and place as we traveled this week.  I thought a lot about place.   Sue and I finally took a brief vacation recently.  Due to circumstances beyond our control, every plan we had made to get away earlier in the year came to naught.  My father became ill and ended up in the hospital which we decided to stay home "just in case."  He ended up in the hospital at least three times this past year, and I decided to spend what time I could with him. Family, after all, is what brought us back to Pennsylvania. We had p...