Skip to main content

2022 - A year in review OR A city mouse looks back.

This has been a year of progress.  We are entering our third year of country living and I'm actually feeling a little more hopeful than I did this time last year.  We entered the year with vague goals, things that we wanted to accomplish but with little to know idea on how to accomplish them.

We managed to get a lot done.

Susan could not stand the bathroom and kitchen from day one in our home, and we somehow managed to replace the windows, redo the majority of our kitchen and part of our bathroom.   That was just some of those goals we had in mind at the start of 2022.   Technically the bath is far from done, and the kitchen does need a little more work before I'm ready to call it "finished."  We got things done, that's the important thing.

Yes, they took longer than I would have liked.

We discussed how to keep your house warm on a budget.  

I wanted to plant a small garden and we did have a few containers full of strawberries, some herbs, tomato's and such.   Our zucchini flowered and bloomed but produced nothing.  Our tomatoes were small but sweet and our strawberries and peppers were eaten by deer. 

Hell, I even managed to plant two trees.  I am planning on two apple trees this year.

We already have a plan for next year with more containers but in a more condensed space with some deer fencing.  We learned from that experience.

Overall I would consider 2023 to be a success.  Some of the highlights as far as I was concerned were:


A)  The blog traffic has pick up some.  Not a great amount but it is making allowing me to justify continuing.  I probably would have anyway.  I need to get what is rambling around in my head out in some way.  This is how I do it.  

It's nice to see that a few people want to take this journey with me.  Although I'm not sure if I'll stay on Blogspot or move to another platform.  Blogspot is what I know but if I want to move forward, I'm going to have to do things differently. 


B)  Health wise, I took a bit of a beating.   I'm still trying to eat healthier and go a little more plant based, but it's a battle that in fought in the trenches.  I lose a pound, I gain a pound.

It really comes down to me exercising a bit more than I have been.  I've really no excuse, if I worked in the city, I would take a walk during breaks or lunch...there is no reason I cannot do that working from home.   I'm not pre-diabetic but my numbers are higher than I would like.

Although I've been eating more vegetarian and plant based food, they are processed foods.   Which is making we wonder if I'm barking up the proverbial wrong tree to begin with.  Hopefully I'll lose some weight and so forth going into the new year, it's on of those nebulous goals that seem to work for me.

I was surprised at how much I enjoyed eating some vegetarian and vegan dishes.  See our recipe page for some good ideas.  The way I organize that page will probably change in the future as well.

Although I didn't write about it much in 2022, I may return to the "trendy" series in 2023.

C)  I hate to have this blog turn political.  Sadly however when I look for information about Green Energy or how climate change can affect things, I come across a lot of misinformation. 

 Some of it is intentional, some of it is not.  One of the reasons I'm doing this blog and trying to change my land into a "edible lawn"  is to make one small change that will help the future.  I'm interested in foraging, in "survivalist ideas" and other things, but sadly the nuts have taken over many of these concepts for their own agenda.  My Facebook feed becomes overwhelmed with half truths and half wits.

Civilization doesn't fall overnight.  Societies won't grow and change for the better if your hiding in a bunker.

If I have to be a bit more "political" in the new year then so be it.  You have been warned.   Although I generally consider myself to be "anti stupidity" rather than overtly support one party or the other.

D)  And finally, it's nice to just get lost sometimes.  When we lived in Florida sometimes we would just pick a direction and go.  It lead to us scuba diving at the Devil's Den and exploring Florida's caves.  Due to a lot of conflicts this year, the only time that we had to get away for more than a weekend...we pointed our car in a direction and just drove.  It was a short but rather memorable trip.  

In the coming year, the plan is to go to Niagara Falls via the back roads.  Both of us have been there several times, but it's been a nearly 30 years since either of us have been there.  Plus we would like to spend some time in Montreal and Toronto if we can.   Those trips will be recorded here again.

So Happy New Year one and all.   I hope that you decided to stick around another year and share this blog with others.  Be well my friends!

 

Comments

What all the cool kids are reading.

In praise of the simple pumpkin. It has a lot of potential other than pies.

As I write this the temperature is climbing.  We have a window or two open, knowing that soon enough we will be shutting up the house for the next three months or so we can protect ourselves and our cats against the onslaught of winter.   Our wood stove burned overnight to take the chill out of the air and I found myself buying new boots and gloves and driving home with the windows down. This is the nature of autumn in Western Pennsylvania and as I sip on my pumpkin flavored coffee, I cannot help but praise the fruit of the season, and yes it is a fruit, the simple pumpkin. A few things are still growing in our garden, the last of the herbs and tomatoes...a stray pepper or two that needs to be picked.  Yet I find myself interested in growing pumpkins next year after realizing their potential and that they are high in nutritional value.   It's easy to forget in our modern world just how easy we have it as compared to our great grandparents and their grandparents....

Dopamine fix and my take on AI.

When I sat down at the computer recently to type all of this out,  I let out frustrated sigh.    I had plans to release a completely different blog post long before this date but over the last two weeks or so I've done everything I could do but actually work on the yard, or write, or just do anything that was constructive. When you are moving towards a dream or an idea or...well anything really, you can't break the chain.  Even if it's just 10 minutes a day working, that is constructive.    I have an addiction.  It's not to drugs or alcohol and in a way that would be a bit more excusable.   I have an addiction to dopamine .    Dopamine simply is a chemical in your brain that makes you feel good, and it in turn unleashes other "pleasure" chemicals in your brain.  In my case it a program called Second Life,  (SL) which honestly, I used to be on all the time in the early 2000's.  It's hard to explain but the term multius...

Rain and tears and those damned deer. Gardening can be painful.

“ None of us understand what we're doing, but we do beautiful things anyway.” ― Allen Ginsberg   The weatherman stated that we have not had any significant rainfall in over two weeks.  Nor did he see any relief in site. We are not in drought conditions yet, we are just unusually dry.  Interestingly enough, Pennsylvania should be getting warmer and wetter in the future if the climate models hold true.  If we narrow that down even more to my home town , the picture becomes even more interesting.   Solar Punk Pittsburgh For now though, I was worried about my garden.   It is not that big, I basically have a variety of containers around where I am maintaining lettuce, leeks, tomato's, peppers, strawberries, grapes, sunchokes (which I was really interested in growing) and a few other things.     Every garden needs to be watered and I played around with the idea of a r ain water collection systems before, we even had a simple one i...