Skip to main content

Insprired by Disasters- Green to the rescue

**Several months ago I had a bit of an argument with someone on Facebook.  That promoted this article.   I've decided to republish it due to the city of New York recently purchasing over 1000 all electric Police cars and replacing most, if not all, of its gasoline fleet.  You can read about that here.**

 

One of the reasons I write this blog, is because I believe that knowledge is useless unless it is shared.  Someone that reads this may disagree with me or my conclusions and that's fine.   However they can't say that they didn't learn something.

Facts and Reality are not something we get to choose.  Nor can we ignore a fact that does not fit our world view.  

Example of an EV Fire Truck

Even though I do try to keep politics out of the blog, this post and the last were inspired by a political debate about disaster relief in the future.  Or the mistaken belief that somehow hybrid vehicles or electric vehicles (EV) will never replace gas powered emergency vehicles. Or that they have limits that can not currently be overcome.

While the technology to replace your fire engine is still young and experimental, the city of Los Angeles purchased it's first electric Fire Engine.  Meno Park, New Jersey, purchased the second.  For now they are only being used in a limited capacity, but should only grow in the future.

Emergency vehicles have been hybrid for some time and a company like Nissan has been working on all electric emergency vehicles since at least 2017 as the below video shows.    The advantages to them are easy to understand, as these types of vehicles do cut down on emissions, save money on gas and reduce noise pollution.  

They can also be used as mobile charging stations for other pieces of equipment in emergency situations.  Despite high initial costs, they do tend to pay for themselves over time in gas savings alone.


The biggest disadvantage is that they do have to be charged, and in some cases that can take several hours, and may only have a limited run time or range of use.  These are problems that will be overcome in time.

It's only a matter of time before our fire, police and other emergency vehicles are electric powered, or based on some fuel source other than oil and natural gas.   Zero motorcycles has been providing police forces with electric motorcycles for years for examples.  

So honestly it's not a matter of "if", but "when".   

However can so called "green energy" survive a storm?  Again, the answer is a yes.  Solar panels can withstand up to 140 MPH (87 KPH) winds, Florida requires them to withstand wind speeds of up to 160 MPH (99.4 KPH).  Solar panels not only withstood Hurricane Sandy which devastated Puerto Rico and parts of New Jersey in 2012 but have provided uninterpreted power to fire stations in Puerto Rico since 2017.   

Solar panels can crack if water freezes in the crevices of the panels but generally if the panels are properly installed this is not an issue.  If the panel itself reaches temperatures of 150 F (65.6 C) then the efficiency of the panel falls.    So much for the meme of "they don't work if it's cloudy" crowd.

A few years ago in Texas the power went out due to extreme winter storms.  Frankly the locals were not prepared for it and some simple planning would have saved millions in dollars in damages.  

Green Power, in particular windmills got much of the blame.  The blackouts and other issues that Texas faced however were due to aging power plants and infrastructure.   The same infrastructure that people are so afraid to replace with windmills and solar power.  

Yes, I get it.  Change is difficult and hard to understand.  I'm not happy about bringing back nuclear power due to environmental concerns that I have BUT we have to take into consideration job loss and other factors.   Frankly converting today's coal powered electric plants to nuclear not only makes sense, but is the right thing to do.  

Windmills can withstand storms with extreme winds but frankly their power input becomes zero if winds exceed 55 MPH (34 KPH) to avoid the risk of burning out the engine.  Windmills can operate and still generate power if the temperature stays above NEGATIVE 22 degrees (-30 C).   A fact that this idiot cites but then quickly glosses over to make a political point.  

Well either cold or hot weather can present challenges to a windmills operation, generally speaking they work can continue to provide power.  In fact, in 2021 roughly 9% of the power generated in the US was from windmills.  That is about 380 Billion Kilowatt hours of energy and it's increasing every year.  

Green power is the future.   

Managing all the power however is going to take moving to a Smart Grid system.  Currently the power grid in the US is based upon local utilities that are not interlinked and barely interconnected.   

For example, I hate to pick on Texas but their power grid is still separate from the rest of America.  Imagine if they were able to isolate a problem quickly?  Millions would have NOT lost power, froze in the cold and millions of dollars of damage could have been avoided. 


The point of all this is simple.   Green power is here to stay.  Understanding how it can benefit you; and it's problems is a good thing.

We don't have a choice in this particular instance.   We have to act, not only as individuals but as a nation to do what we can to save the environment.   Part of the reason for this blog is to educate...and the more you know, the more you are likely to make the right choice for you, your family and the future.

Green Power is going to be part of that future.  If your politics agree with it or not.  It really is that simple.

Comments

What all the cool kids are reading.

In praise of the simple pumpkin. It has a lot of potential other than pies.

As I write this the temperature is climbing.  We have a window or two open, knowing that soon enough we will be shutting up the house for the next three months or so we can protect ourselves and our cats against the onslaught of winter.   Our wood stove burned overnight to take the chill out of the air and I found myself buying new boots and gloves and driving home with the windows down. This is the nature of autumn in Western Pennsylvania and as I sip on my pumpkin flavored coffee, I cannot help but praise the fruit of the season, and yes it is a fruit, the simple pumpkin. A few things are still growing in our garden, the last of the herbs and tomatoes...a stray pepper or two that needs to be picked.  Yet I find myself interested in growing pumpkins next year after realizing their potential and that they are high in nutritional value.   It's easy to forget in our modern world just how easy we have it as compared to our great grandparents and their grandparents....

Dopamine fix and my take on AI.

When I sat down at the computer recently to type all of this out,  I let out frustrated sigh.    I had plans to release a completely different blog post long before this date but over the last two weeks or so I've done everything I could do but actually work on the yard, or write, or just do anything that was constructive. When you are moving towards a dream or an idea or...well anything really, you can't break the chain.  Even if it's just 10 minutes a day working, that is constructive.    I have an addiction.  It's not to drugs or alcohol and in a way that would be a bit more excusable.   I have an addiction to dopamine .    Dopamine simply is a chemical in your brain that makes you feel good, and it in turn unleashes other "pleasure" chemicals in your brain.  In my case it a program called Second Life,  (SL) which honestly, I used to be on all the time in the early 2000's.  It's hard to explain but the term multius...

A sense of time in place - traveling in Central PA

One of the first items that Sue and I bought as a couple all those years ago was a grandfather clock.  We used to snuggle under the blanket and listen to the chimes on the hour, the sound filling our house with a warmth and resonance.   That clock is nothing special, being simple in its design and technology.  It's accurate because of the beauty of physics and math...and is a lost art form in its own right. I thought a lot about time and place as we traveled this week.  I thought a lot about place.   Sue and I finally took a brief vacation recently.  Due to circumstances beyond our control, every plan we had made to get away earlier in the year came to naught.  My father became ill and ended up in the hospital which we decided to stay home "just in case."  He ended up in the hospital at least three times this past year, and I decided to spend what time I could with him. Family, after all, is what brought us back to Pennsylvania. We had p...